First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
Neil Rifenbark Banks Power makes a nice turbo for the Jeep I6 motor -- just wish they'd make one for the Pentastar V6

Sponsored

tstugel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Turbos don't help unless you run high RPMs to create boost. I don't think it would be of any help in a JT, unless your drag racing it..............IMHO.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Turbos don't help unless you run high RPMs to create boost. I don't think it would be of any help in a JT, unless your drag racing it..............IMHO.
Depends on the turbo’s design.
BMW has a dual-nozzle design that you can feel down around 2,000 rpm.

Kevin

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
You could size turbos to this engine that would make peak tq below 2,000rpm and carry it until damn near 4-5k with ease. Its do you want the hassle of turbo’ing it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is wrong. Sure big turbos can be sized to make huge power.

But in most OEM applications they are used to add torque down low. Usually lower than a naturally aspirated design.

Its not uncommon for modern turbo engines to make 80% of maximum torque as low as 1800 rpm.

I've owned a number of turbocharged cars over the years. They had different design goals.

Old 1986 Saab 900 - really a poor design. big turbo which meant big lag. But an ECU that pulled boost at high RPMs. Even still they made a lot of power for the day. Factory rated HP was 160 hp, thought they dyno'd in the 180s at the wheels.

With water injection and a bleeder valve in line with the waste gate, people could get over 200 hp at the wheels. Which almost made the big lag worth it.

1998 VW Passat 1.8t - this car had a tiny turbo designed to make big torque down low. By 4500 rpm boost was trailing off. I had a boost gauge and saw max boost (and max torque since torque pretty much tracks boost 1:1 before 2000 rpm). When I added an APR tune to it it got even better.

2002 Volvo V70 - Another tiny turbo that has nearly no lag and tons of torque.

2004 Subaru STi - This had a medium sized turbo so I had tons of boost and torque by 2500 rpm. Because it had a pretty power focused cam in it, off boost performance was not great.

2015 Volvo XC70 - this is a wonderful motor. Because its a 3L 6 its got reasonable power off boost. But even still its got a small turbo and seems to make lots of torque right off idle. Boost trails off at high RPM but there is hardly any need to rev it ever because its to torquey.
Sponsored