First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 WILLYS Gladiator (STING)
Occupation
Designer/Photographer
Hey Yall - just got my Gladiator and looking for best option to add some anchor/tie downs in the bed. Mine doesnt have the rail system, so i'm looking for a bolt on anchor option. I will likely be adding a hard folding tonneau in the next few months, so preferably something that will work in tandem and not interfere with adding that later. thanks!!
Sponsored

eyekode

First Name
Salem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, WRX, Miata, Sienna
Occupation
Software dev
Other options: l-track
https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Truck-Anchor-Point-Tie-Down-Kit-Aluminum
Cheaper but you have to drill the holes to attach the track.

Cheaper still:
https://www.amazon.com/JCHL-Tie-Dow...eywords=tie+downs&qid=1611952395&sr=8-11&th=1

If you search this forum you will find the correct thread for the existing holes/nuts in the bed.

I am still on the fence here. I like the idea of a track. And the OEM one is nice because the holes are drilled and you know it will fit. It is bad because it is expensive and doesn't come with enough tie downs.

OP
OP
gryffinn

gryffinn

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 WILLYS Gladiator (STING)
Occupation
Designer/Photographer
Other options: l-track
https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Truck-Anchor-Point-Tie-Down-Kit-Aluminum
Cheaper but you have to drill the holes to attach the track.

Cheaper still:
https://www.amazon.com/JCHL-Tie-Down-Anchors-Diameter-Trailers/dp/B07M6K765R/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=tie+downs&qid=1611952395&sr=8-11&th=1

If you search this forum you will find the correct thread for the existing holes/nuts in the bed.

I am still on the fence here. I like the idea of a track. And the OEM one is nice because the holes are drilled and you know it will fit. It is bad because it is expensive and doesn't come with enough tie downs.
Thanks for this!

1GladEWAL

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S "Russeltosis" or "RT"
Occupation
Glazier
I used L track. Bought from Amazon. 4 track kit. I used stainless steel rivnuts, and black anodized 1/4-20 flathead screws in stainless to mount. Filled all the mounting holes. I got all the mounting hardware from McMaster-Carr, as well as some heavy duty rings. (#1200 capacity?)
Soup to nuts cost just under 300. Includes bits, stops, reamer, etc. everything. I like it, it's a lot lower profile than the Mopar system.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I ordered the Builtright rails couple weeks ago but can't advise how they are have not received them yet.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hey Yall - just got my Gladiator and looking for best option to add some anchor/tie downs in the bed. Mine doesnt have the rail system, so i'm looking for a bolt on anchor option. I will likely be adding a hard folding tonneau in the next few months, so preferably something that will work in tandem and not interfere with adding that later. thanks!!

Jeep Gladiator Bed Anchor/Tie Downs screws

Jeep Gladiator Bed Anchor/Tie Downs tiedowns

I used they screws above with some M6 washers in the existing holes of the truck bed to attach the small d-rings shown in the second photo. I screwed up when I bought the d-rings because 10 are black, 10 are titanium. The d-rings are strong enough for mule tape or paracord. They are too small for most rope. One issue with finding d-rings is that when they get bigger than the ones shown, they generally mount with 2 screws.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I've used Superstrut (Unistrut) in the past like what's in the below link. You can get it without the slots in the bottom and just drill your own holes for mounting. There's a multitude of connectors that fit it as well, which gives you lots of options. I did it on a Ram 2500 I had for under $100. You can also source the stuff at any electrical supply house as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut...Galvanized-Half-Slot-Channel-Strut/1001256658

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I've seen some people bypass the rail (be that the mopar trail rail/L-track/strut) and put a single anchor at each nut location in the bed; keep in mind that having a rail between your load strap and the nut helps distribute the load across all the nuts in the bed. If you just put a d-ring on a single nut, you have a weaker attachment point and could deform that bit of bed sheet metal the nut is welded to with a side-load or too high tensile pull of a strap. Whether or not this could cause issues who knows, but I'd recommend some sort of rail if you are going to put a lot of load on your straps.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I've used Superstrut (Unistrut) in the past like what's in the below link. You can get it without the slots in the bottom and just drill your own holes for mounting. There's a multitude of connectors that fit it as well, which gives you lots of options. I did it on a Ram 2500 I had for under $100. You can also source the stuff at any electrical supply house as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut...Galvanized-Half-Slot-Channel-Strut/1001256658
That stuff is gold anodized, not galvanized. Silly Lowes.
The anodized stuff is rust resistant, but for a rail system I'd strongly recommend getting strut that is really galvanized.

Kevin

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You should have one tie down factory installed in each corner of the bed. The trail rails distribute the load so the side walls are less likely to suffer damage. Four cleats are included with the rails. Mopar doesn't sell additional cleats, but the Toyota cleats are supposed to fit. The generic Toyota cleats are $17 on Amazon. There are some other posts about the hardware and rings that will work with the trail rails.

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase

I used they screws above with some M6 washers in the existing holes of the truck bed to attach the small d-rings shown in the second photo. I screwed up when I bought the d-rings because 10 are black, 10 are titanium. The d-rings are strong enough for mule tape or paracord. They are too small for most rope. One issue with finding d-rings is that when they get bigger than the ones shown, they generally mount with 2 screws.
I just got similar tie downs... did you put anythng between them and the bed itself? I’m a little concerned about scratching the paint and potential of rust.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just got similar tie downs... did you put anythng between them and the bed itself? I’m a little concerned about scratching the paint and potential of rust.
I used a washer under and over the d-ring.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
The anodized stuff is rust resistant, but for a rail system I'd strongly recommend getting strut that is really galvanized.

Kevin
Yes sir. On the Ram I had, I used the rattle can bed liner on it to protect it prior to install. Worked like a charm.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR

Kevin
Those struts are most definitely galvanized with a zinc layer. Anodizing typically only applies to aluminum as anodizing involves created a protective oxidized layer in a controlled fashion using the same substrate. Meaning, for aluminum anodized part, the anodized layer is aluminum oxide, just with a controlled crystal structure. The steel struts above are coated with zinc.
Sponsored