First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
A few months ago, someone posted about a dash cam (I think they mounted it on the speaker bar) that can see front and back and has a motion mode. Anyone know the camera?
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Not really answering your question but IMO, BlackVue is the way to go if you want to splurge a bit. There are a lot of options on Amazon that will do front/rear and/or front/passengers but many are of dubious quality. 4K or even sensor model among each one is meaningless when the processing is shit. I've found my 1080P BlackView is at least as good as the 2K Amazon camera I had previously when it comes to grabbing plates at night.

Mounting on the window is also highly desired to reduce glare. Something internal mounted would be fine for watching people but not if you want to get a good image through the windscreen.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not really answering your question but IMO, BlackVue is the way to go if you want to splurge a bit. There are a lot of options on Amazon that will do front/rear and/or front/passengers but many are of dubious quality. 4K or even sensor model among each one is meaningless when the processing is shit. I've found my 1080P BlackView is at least as good as the 2K Amazon camera I had previously when it comes to grabbing plates at night.

Mounting on the window is also highly desired to reduce glare. Something internal mounted would be fine for watching people but not if you want to get a good image through the windscreen.
I think when I researched they were a high rating on CNET, BlackView with a lot of models prices and options.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I think when I researched they were a high rating on CNET, BlackView with a lot of models prices and options.
They've always been well-rated because they put the time and effort into the image processing firmware. Since they target the commercial market, they have a pretty wide variety of options.

Personally, I love the image quality and how small the unit is. It's a 4" x 1.5" tube that mounts very discreetly instead of a large box with a screen I'll use to align the camera then never use again. As long as you buy the wifi models that communicate with the phone app, they're IMO the best available.
Sponsored