Sponsored

Best location to hardwire in a GPS tracker?

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for suggestions on the best location to hardwire in a GPS tracker. I don't want it easily seen/found. Like many others I am putting a lot of $$ and time into making my Jeep exactly what I want. I'd hate to have it be one of the ones that gets stolen. And yes, I have insurance but it would take a long time to recreate my Jeep even if I got a full payout. Can't even get Gator anymore.

So what are your suggestions? In the dash? Hooked to second battery in the engine compartment?
Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
You can hook it up however you want, but they generally need to be mounted with one end up and with an unobstructed view to the sky. Of course, this is not 100% possible in a metal vehicle but the best bet is to not mount it under the metal body panels if possible. This leaves only a few areas besides the dash area where it only has to deal with the glass windshield. (They do fair better under fiberglass panels -one of my cars is fiberglass bodied so I could mount it pretty much anywhere I wanted.)

For wiring, I would tap into the hardest place to find. If its hard for you, it will be harder for the thief too.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I once saw on a TV show how it is stuck right to the frame. Say that was real... one could slip one into the frame, utilize the steel frame as a sort of antenna or similar. But this ain't TV, is it?​

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
What tracker are you planning on? I'm thinking of running one as well.