Sponsored

Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave - 2003 TJ Rubicon -2008 JKU Rubicon
First off, I’m not a fan of the Softopper Velcro on the ends. I like the idea of the 4 channel attachment used by the Bestop, especially the tailgate. I also like how the bows mount to the bed better. However, I’m having a hard time getting past the fitment of the Bestop I’m seeing in pics.

The Softopper looks like a proper canvas bed soft bed cap. It snugs up to the cab, follows the roof line, and has a very good shape in general. The Bestop has a huge V shaped gap behind the cab which gives it an odd trapezoidal shape, and I’m sure catches more wind. It looks taller than the roof line and seems to run uphill toward the tailgate. I realize the vehicle rake isn’t helping, but it seems excessive. It looks more like a Quasimodo circus tent afterthought to me. I really want to like the Bestop for the reasons above. Are these just poor installations I’m seeing? The silver is the Softopper.

Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper B1933E6E-4055-4454-A213-AF09EA2D139B
Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper E42396C4-951B-4E03-9033-5BFF1C5DDCA3
Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper D3515E98-B56A-44AB-B8A7-446EFF46F864
Sponsored

OP
OP
BajaTJ

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few pictures of my Softopper. Install can be a pain, but it looks good once it’s dialed in.
Yes, other than the Velcro tailgate, I think the Softopper looks really good. Nice rig, btw!

troopertrek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR; 20 VW Tiguan SEL R-Line; 06 Mustang GT
@BajaTJ - I also liked the setup on the rear (tailgate) of the bestop cover better than the Softopper. But overall, I think the bestop is super ugly for the same reasons you mentioned. I actually don’t mind the way my Softopper closes now. I’ve got a 2” strip of xpel paint film across the top of the tailgate to prevent paint damage. I did not install the Velcro.

troopertrek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I originally installed some rare earth magnets inside the tailgate to get around using the Velcro. It lays fine without anything IMO. I will still be using the magnets for bottom fitment of my topper tent.

https://thetoppertent.com/

235C4AFA-AE59-41C8-B42A-C163F9E8A4C8.jpeg

E205798F-55DC-4E03-9D58-A532EBF1C714.jpeg

61CD5B50-1818-430B-A1D3-FE06A847E353.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BajaTJ

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I originally installed some rare earth magnets inside the tailgate to get around using the Velcro. It lays fine without anything IMO. I will still be using the magnets for bottom fitment of my topper tent.

https://thetoppertent.com/
I like that. Why did you abandon the magnet idea? Has anyone followed you to see how much flapping around the back window does unattached?

troopertrek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear window doesn’t really fall far enough down to need to use them. Also, the bar across the lower part of the window holds the entire rear window assembly pretty firmly. I’ve not had anyone follow me, but I don’t believe it’s flapping. If you push on the canvas material below the window & above the tailgate it doesn’t move much. You cannot push it inward and make the lower “hanging” portion go through and into the bed. I mean I suppose you could, but you’d be bending and damaging the bar in the process. As such, I don’t think it’s flopping it around - at least no more than a regular Jeep soft top window would. I can take a few more pics later if you want.

OP
OP
BajaTJ

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear window doesn’t really fall far enough down to need to use them. Also, the bar across the lower part of the window holds the entire rear window assembly pretty firmly. I’ve not had anyone follow me, but I don’t believe it’s flapping. If you push on the canvas material below the window & above the tailgate it doesn’t move much. You cannot push it inward and make the lower “hanging” portion go through and into the bed. I mean I suppose you could, but you’d be bending and damaging the bar in the process. As such, I don’t think it’s flopping it around - at least no more than a regular Jeep soft top window would. I can take a few more pics later if you want.
This sounds promising. Very helpful, thanks. I wasn’t aware the Softopper had a bar across the tailgate. I wonder how much finagling it would take to retrofit a tailgate crossbar that the material velcro’d to instead So you could open the tailgate.

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Honda Element
Occupation
Librarian
This sounds promising. Very helpful, thanks. I wasn’t aware the Softopper had a bar across the tailgate. I wonder how much finagling it would take to retrofit a tailgate crossbar that the material velcro’d to instead So you could open the tailgate.
the bar slides through the material and doesnt interfere with the tailgate opening. I'll take a picture at lunch and post.

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Have you checked out the Agri-Cover Outlander? I think it looks the best of the bunch. My only hesitation is that it folds up against the back of the cab rather than tucking away inside the bed.

Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper 1654017214369

Sponsored

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Librarian
Have you checked out the Agri-Cover Outlander? I think it looks the best of the bunch. My only hesitation is that it folds up against the back of the cab rather than tucking away inside the bed.

Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper IMG_20220531_130009315
Really like the looks. Having to store the side windows, and it not folding into the bed are dealbreakers for me tho.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
Really like the looks. Having to store the side windows, and it not folding into the bed are dealbreakers for me tho.
Agreed. Which is why I just ordered a Softtopper. It's not ideal, but its the best of the bunch for me.

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Librarian
Is this a reflection of the sun or did it rub through your paint?

Jeep Gladiator Bestop appearance and fitment vs Softopper BB5E28E6-DD49-4789-8D85-B4AE447077CC
Just a reflection. I've had no rubbing with it in two years. Only "issue" is that the trail rail doesnt allow it to snap into the bed by the cab, so its velcroed there. No big deal really, but snaps would have been the better option.

I also no longer velcro over the tailgate. Havent had any excessive flapping, or water intrusion. The gobi rack is causing more buffeting on the softopper, but so far its holding up well.
Sponsored