Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 3.0 Overland Edition
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Guys

I have a 2023 3.0 Diesel Gladiator that will not power up. It have maybe 100 miles on it.

the case is that I were to install a wiring harnes for my trailer hitch. I removed the negative connector on the main battery and installed the wire on the positive on the end of the fusebox. Installed the negative connection on the battery again.

When I now try to start the car it does nothing. The center display is on, and says press brake to start, or what ever. But the ignition does not turn on and the car refuses to start. The stereo only turns on with the logo, and then turns off again. This happens continuously.

Also worth mentioning is that the key fob does not work on the doors.

We have checked all fuses and both the main and auxiliary battery is 12,7volts. Disconnected the aux battery as well

Anyone have any suggestions??
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys

I have a 2023 3.0 Diesel Gladiator that will not power up. It have maybe 100 miles on it.

the case is that I were to install a wiring harnes for my trailer hitch. I removed the negative connector on the main battery and installed the wire on the positive on the end of the fusebox. Installed the negative connection on the battery again.

When I now try to start the car it does nothing. The center display is on, and says press brake to start, or what ever. But the ignition does not turn on and the car refuses to start. The stereo only turns on with the logo, and then turns off again. This happens continuously.

We have checked all fuses and both the main and auxiliary battery is 12,7volts. Disconnected the aux battery as well

There are two batteries in these - if you removed the negative clamp from the main battery, the aux battery was still grounded and connected. So you still had power to many things even with the one batter disconnected.
One of your last sentences says you disconnected the aux battery - before or after you did your work?
If after, it's not going to function with it disconnected.

Apparently the 2023s are different because in the past, all Gladiators came with the full trailer wiring harness, the flat and rounder connectors in the rear bumper. Even with no trailer tow package, they had the trailer wiring from the factory.
This is the second time I've seen someone mention needing to install the trailer harness - so something has changed with 2023 model year.

OP
OP

Mateik

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Hi, this is a Euro edition. All came without the trailer hitch and harness.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Reconnect the Aux battery first, if you haven't already.
I would disconnect the grounds at the main battery again and give it maybe an hour. Then reconnect the grounds and let it sit another hour and try it.
Other simple things. Make sure it's in park. Make sure the doors are closed.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
You may want to double check your trailer connector wiring work as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mateik

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
That I have done. Have installed on several JL’s with no problem. But we had loose the BCM C5 connector and I think the fault is there. It may not be perfectly seated.

but it’s nighttime here in Norway now. So it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would also check the high amp fuse array on the fuse box since you were in that area. One or more legs on it may have gotten shorted and blown.

OP
OP

Mateik

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
We figured it out. It was the BCM C5 connector that was not properly attached. We disconnected both batteries and attached it properly and then everything was OK đź‘Ť

Fungi3

First Name
Fungi3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR ALTITUDE
Occupation
Lover of Life
Hi Guys

Your batteries are not providing power to start-up. Go back and disconnect the added wiring you added to the fuse box and when you replace the negative connection again, make sure post is making good contact with post clamp. Make sure it's tight enough too. If it still does not work, you need to bring it to a dealer. There are relays, fuses, connectors, etc., and some of those also needed to be disconnected before adding another device.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your batteries are not providing power to start-up. Go back and disconnect the added wiring you added to the fuse box and when you replace the negative connection again, make sure post is making good contact with post clamp. Make sure it's tight enough too. If it still does not work, you need to bring it to a dealer. There are relays, fuses, connectors, etc., and some of those also needed to be disconnected before adding another device.
Huh?
He's got it totally resolved and nothing to do with what you stated.

The only thing that ever needs to be removed for safety of the vehicle when working on electric is the negative battery cables from the top of the IBS, then take those two apart from each other ad keep them from touching anything at all.
That's it. Nothing else needed.
But doesn't matter - it was resolved several months ago and was a BCM connection.
Sponsored