Sponsored

Bumper removal and tow hook replacement (Photo heavy)

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
I figured I would do a quick write up since I did not see a complete one prior to attempting mine. This bumper is an Overland bumper, so the sport and Rubicon may be different.

First, you start off removing the air dam and metal support that’s behind it. I had already removed the air dam, but I think it was a bunch of push retainers holding it on. Maybe a screw or two. The bolts for the metal are 16mm.

183C610B-84E8-4A04-91EB-522096AA2B03.jpeg

After those pieces are off, move up top and remove the plastic piece between the bumper and grille. It too is held on by plastic retainers. Get used to those because there are a s***load of them during this project.

C441CE04-DE19-44B0-BC85-4905464E6142.jpeg
2612A2E4-1F7A-4A74-BCA7-EB2BB064B5A5.jpeg

Next, I removed the fog light back covers on the inside of the bumper on both sides. Held on by...you guessed it....plastic retainers. Do not unplug the fog lights themselves, as it is not necessary. You only have to unplug the fog light harness connection that is located on the passenger side frame rail. I’m not sure how I unplugged this, but after a couple minutes of finger-banging it finally came loose.

9B3439E9-D543-44B2-A23E-4F55FEF70810.jpeg
C5032D43-7A49-4F08-B0D6-EFA6005E6E98.jpeg
A8866E91-407F-4614-B9F9-FDDAA438C3C8.jpeg

Now for the time consuming part(at least for me). Locate 4 nuts on the inside of the bumper on either side of the bumper (8 total). These are located near the frame rails. These nuts are attached to the tow hook studs themselves. You’ll need an 18mm deep socket to remove them. I also had to use a small extension, but I had no issues accessing them otherwise. Taking these off took me a painstakingly long time since I don’t have an impact small enough to get up in there. I will be finding one in the near future for sure. Once you get these off the bumper will pull right off the frame.

5BF68766-0649-4F4C-B05E-72D6AA57D45B.jpeg
838B4031-ED0F-425E-9EF0-A2A194E214BC.jpeg
F99529FB-A957-43B6-93A1-416908E26EDD.jpeg

Now on to the last tedious fastener removal expedition. There are about 15 or so small screws holding the outer plastic cover on the bumper. Undo all of these (7mm socket maybe??) and then work the plastic cover off. You will have to work the tow hook “hooks” out of the plastic, so pay attention to that if you have a hang up.

E1C33146-70AA-45FC-93DF-2DFA09F32CD8.jpeg
8FAB551E-BB3B-4EE2-94D6-5E1F1C598CE4.jpeg

Once that plastic is off you will have a plastic bumper and a metal plate attached to the inside. You must remove this metal plate by taking off 8 nuts. These were 13mm I think.

F0B1C6BD-1EE1-47CF-A15B-4CB19FAE3CF5.jpeg

After those nuts, undo the plastic retainer holding the fog light wire to the metal plate you just unbolted. There is one for each fog light. Now pull the metal plate out and you’ll have FINALLY uncovered the elusive tow hooks!!! Replace, paint, remove all together, or do whatever you want with them now that you’ve spent the time pulling them out.

7F9613A1-B8A6-488A-9D00-7B7C45C061FD.jpeg

Once you’re finished doing what you do put it all back together like it came out! When you get to torquing the nuts down that hold the bumper to the frame make sure they’re tight. I do not know the official number, but I read 80 ft/lbs and it worked just fine for me. When I was removing the nuts initially, I attached my torque wrench to them and it took right around 80 to break the nuts free. I tried 60-70 ft/lbs on a couple bolts and the wrench broke before the nuts budged. Now enjoy your tow hooks.....or whatever you decided to do! As for me I replaced my black hooks with RED!

3B5661CC-EA93-44B7-BFA9-6157883982B0.jpeg

Now I will say this....my hooks did not have any of the retaining washers with teeth that are a b***h to get off. I read a lot about them online and was dreading this project, but my bumper did not have these retainers. My bumper is an Overland as stated at the beginning of the thread. The retainers I am talking about look like these: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/f...MIgKOy0fCw5wIVApSzCh1nAQQgEAQYASABEgJLRvD_BwE

If you have them they will be on the tow hook studs. They should have to be removed when you get down to separating the metal insert inside of the plastic bumper. I’m not sure though. GOOD LUCK!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DDuran772

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I see you painted your fog light trim... how did you do that? I’d like to do the same thing but not sure how to remove the trim pieces. Do you have any pointers?

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
I see you painted your fog light trim... how did you do that? I’d like to do the same thing but not sure how to remove the trim pieces. Do you have any pointers?
It was super easy. Once you remove the inside bumper covers take out the below screw. The trim pieces will come out easily with a trim tool or butter knife or whatever. They’ll just pop right back in after you paint them. Then put the screw back of course. I DID uses some sandpaper on my trim and regret it. I’m not a painter, so I thought this would help paint adhere due to scuffing you the surface. After 4 coats I can see scratches in the plastic. It’s not horrible, but I wish I wouldn’t have done it. It looks better black anyway so I like it. Paint was Krylon Fusion satin black. Good luck!!

AD28BCFC-1C85-4655-B5D8-66B16D656FF5.jpeg

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I figured I would do a quick write up since I did not see a complete one prior to attempting mine. This bumper is an Overland bumper, so the sport and Rubicon may be different.

First, you start off removing the air dam and metal support that’s behind it. I had already removed the air dam, but I think it was a bunch of push retainers holding it on. Maybe a screw or two. The bolts for the metal are 16mm.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper removal and tow hook replacement (Photo heavy) AD28BCFC-1C85-4655-B5D8-66B16D656FF5

After those pieces are off, move up top and remove the plastic piece between the bumper and grille. It too is held on by plastic retainers. Get used to those because there are a s***load of them during this project.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper removal and tow hook replacement (Photo heavy) AD28BCFC-1C85-4655-B5D8-66B16D656FF5

Next, I removed the fog light back covers on the inside of the bumper on both sides. Held on by...you guessed it....plastic retainers. Do not unplug the fog lights themselves, as it is not necessary. You only have to unplug the fog light harness connection that is located on the passenger side frame rail. I’m not sure how I unplugged this, but after a couple minutes of finger-banging it finally came loose.

Now for the time consuming part(at least for me). Locate 4 nuts on the inside of the bumper on either side of the bumper (8 total). These are located near the frame rails. These nuts are attached to the tow hook studs themselves. You’ll need an 18mm deep socket to remove them. I also had to use a small extension, but I had no issues accessing them otherwise. Taking these off took me a painstakingly long time since I don’t have an impact small enough to get up in there. I will be finding one in the near future for sure. Once you get these off the bumper will pull right off the frame.

Now on to the last tedious fastener removal expedition. There are about 15 or so small screws holding the outer plastic cover on the bumper. Undo all of these (7mm socket maybe??) and then work the plastic cover off. You will have to work the tow hook “hooks” out of the plastic, so pay attention to that if you have a hang up.

Once that plastic is off you will have a plastic bumper and a metal plate attached to the inside. You must remove this metal plate by taking off 8 nuts. These were 13mm I think.

After those nuts, undo the plastic retainer holding the fog light wire to the metal plate you just unbolted. There is one for each fog light. Now pull the metal plate out and you’ll have FINALLY uncovered the elusive tow hooks!!! Replace, paint, remove all together, or do whatever you want with them now that you’ve spent the time pulling them out.

Once you’re finished doing what you do put it all back together like it came out! When you get to torquing the nuts down that hold the bumper to the frame make sure they’re tight. I do not know the official number, but I read 80 ft/lbs and it worked just fine for me. When I was removing the nuts initially, I attached my torque wrench to them and it took right around 80 to break the nuts free. I tried 60-70 ft/lbs on a couple bolts and the wrench broke before the nuts budged. Now enjoy your tow hooks.....or whatever you decided to do! As for me I replaced my black hooks with RED!

Now I will say this....my hooks did not have any of the retaining washers with teeth that are a b***h to get off. I read a lot about them online and was dreading this project, but my bumper did not have these retainers. My bumper is an Overland as stated at the beginning of the thread. The retainers I am talking about look like these: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/f...MIgKOy0fCw5wIVApSzCh1nAQQgEAQYASABEgJLRvD_BwE

If you have them they will be on the tow hook studs. They should have to be removed when you get down to separating the metal insert inside of the plastic bumper. I’m not sure though. GOOD LUCK!!!
I was hoping searching the forums last night when I couldn’t figure out how the F**K to get these 8 bolts off and needed advice. I’m an idiot and spaced on not using a deep socket 18mm.... Yeah pathetic.

Anyways figured I’d comment on this to say thanks AND note that I have a rubicon with the plastic bumper and I also did NOT have the PITA locking washers. Build date is June 2020.

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
Ok I must ask...I have the PITA retaining clips (https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-tow-hook-retainer-jl-plastic-bumper-06100843)

How DOES one remove these without going all bad@ss on them so they're unusable. There has to be a "correct" way to remove them. I've googled all morning and haven't found a thing
It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about and researched this. We’re you able to get the bumper off or do they have to come off prior to removing it from the frame?

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about and researched this. We’re you able to get the bumper off or do they have to come off prior to removing it from the frame?
I'm installing a new Rubi steel bumper on a Sport S. I can get the old OEM bumper off just fine...and I can install the new steel just fine. However, I'm wanting to remove the red Rubi tow hooks off the steely before I install it and put my black hooks on it from my plastic bumper. So, I'm in need to remove those retainer clips...and I don't want to ruin them since I'll reinstall them when I put the black hooks on.

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
I'm installing a new Rubi steel bumper on a Sport S. I can get the old OEM bumper off just fine...and I can install the new steel just fine. However, I'm wanting to remove the red Rubi tow hooks off the steely before I install it and put my black hooks on it from my plastic bumper. So, I'm in need to remove those retainer clips...and I don't want to ruin them since I'll reinstall them when I put the black hooks on.
I got you. I’m not sure. I would probably cut or split them and buy new ones. If I can find the article or video I read I’ll post a link. I know I read about them or I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)

Is the metal piece that the fog lights are mounted to removable to be reused on another bumper or would I have to buy adapters?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Is the metal piece that the fog lights are mounted to removable to be reused on another bumper or would I have to buy adapters?
Moe is no longer a member (by that name at least) but yes, the metal insert is removable.
But most aftermarket bumpers accept the fog lights from the plastic bumpers and the metal insert won't fit into anything but an OEM plastic bumper.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Moe is no longer a member (by that name at least) but yes, the metal insert is removable.
But most aftermarket bumpers accept the fog lights from the plastic bumpers and the metal insert won't fit into anything but an OEM plastic bumper.
Thank you.
Sponsored