OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dan, now that you have had this set up for a while, how do you like it so far? I recently got my hands on the same Cobra model as a gift, and this the ideal setup I am looking to go with. Have you had any issues or changed anything out since you've done the install? Anything you would do differently? Also, how hard would it be to add a quick release to the antenna. If i didn't want the antenna on 24/7?

Like it. A lot.

My experience with this Cobra model is that if you run an external speaker you'll be much happier with it than having to listen through the handset/mic.

Quick release antenna? Like most, my antenna unscrews and I leave stainless steel bracket there. I'm pretty OCD about stuff and this doesn't bother me at all. The fact that I can quickly put the antenna on and attach the mic and be on my way makes it all great.

Remote/external speaker - I've got it so I can remove it/re-install it quickly but I've left it in as I have no better use for that part of the tray...

cb-2-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up. I have followed it closely. I have found the plastic plug. Since i do not yet have my antenna cable I have not yet tried get it out. It looks hard to get to but I think I can get to it with pliers. How did you reach in there to get it back in. I am wondering if drilling a hole from inside at The driver’s feet would be easier as you would not have to take it out and put back in. Also I plan to disconnect my antenna for when I am not using my CB. Any thoughts about whether I would have to completely remove the cable or is there a place under the hood where I can zip tie it for storag?
Great write up. I have followed it closely. I have found the plastic plug. Since i do not yet have my antenna cable I have not yet tried get it out. It looks hard to get to but I think I can get to it with pliers. How did you reach in there to get it back in. I am wondering if drilling a hole from inside at The driver’s feet would be easier as you would not have to take it out and put back in. Also I plan to disconnect my antenna for when I am not using my CB. Any thoughts about whether I would have to completely remove the cable or is there a place under the hood where I can zip tie it for storag?

Sorry for the late response. In my write-up I think I mentioned that I grabbed the plug with a pliers and pulled it out.

I disconnect my CB and the connector cable is tucked up under the glove box. The other end of the antenna cable is attached to the antenna mount that you can see with the hood closed. All that is always there ready-to-go.

As for finding a place to store the cable there should be plenty of room to do that with some zip ties

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I'd add a pic of the antenna installed...

77d7dc65-1054-4643-ae6a-61b8ea95e683-jpeg-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
So what does Katie Bell have to do with Dan?

Sponsored

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
Hi Gang,

I will be completing my CB install in the next week or two and will post the video here, along with all of the Amazon links in the video description.

@WhatExit? has such a great installation, he inspired me to put my own spin on it and I want to share it with the group. I found an amazing bolt on way to mount the antenna in the bed with a CB mount that looks like it came from the factory. I think you'll like it. I hope I do.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hi Gang,

I will be completing my CB install in the next week or two and will post the video here, along with all of the Amazon links in the video description.

@WhatExit? has such a great installation, he inspired me to put my own spin on it and I want to share it with the group. I found an amazing bolt on way to mount the antenna in the bed with a CB mount that looks like it came from the factory. I think you'll like it. I hope I do.
I would like to see it.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's this world coming to?
“Coming to?” It’s already there and headed into the shitter if we don’t get things straightened out fast

Sponsored

M4Fun

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I just got back from trying to tune mine and got it to about 2.4 for both channel 1 and 40. I’m going to chase a new ground and may give yours a shot. I’m currently using one of the studs in the passenger kick panel, but I’m sharing it with the Rugged Ridge multiplexor (combines FM and CB to use one antenna - basically a splitter), so I think that may be part of my issue.

Must be missing it. Where are you mounting your mic?
How do you like the Rugged Ridge Multiplexor? All the ones I saw are for JK's or earlier - same setup/cabling to radio and to antenna mount point?

wwcenturion

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Occupation
Project Manager
I'll be in Death Valley shortly for a 3 day off roading and camping trip (what is now called "overlanding" :party: ) with a great group of people who happen to still use CB radios to communicate. It works for communicating with all the Jeeps in the group so it's what I installed first.

To start with here's a list of items I used:

CB - Cobra 75 WX ST - had one before and it works well and thanks to its design the unit is very small so it's easy to hide and install...
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...distributing-cobra-75-wx-st-40-channel-remote
Jeep Gladiator CB Radio & CB Antenna installation in my Jeep Gladiator CanAm001

Firestik 4ft Firestik II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna 900 Watts Red - Firestik FS-4RD
Available in different colors - I went with red - $22.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SB6SDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
I've used this on my JKU Jeep and it works real well as a rigid antenna mount could help the antenna break when it hits a tree branch, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042LC9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FireStik Antenna Company K8R9 9ft. W/pl259 & Firering Conn
I wanted to keep with the Firestik products and the 9' long cable was perfect for my installation as I'd rather not have 18' of cable which was the most common option. The cable terminations are attached and not small so it meant I'd either need to find a way to get the large CB end of the cable through the firewall or I'd need to cut and re-join the end to the cable. (I found an easy way through the firewall).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X39TFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Firestik K4R HEAVY-DUTY STUD MOUNT with 1.25 in. BOLT
Keeping with the Firestik products, i went with their Stud Mount Bolt - it works with the CB antenna cable, the bracket and the Firestik spring
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9JEUFI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Topsy Products - JL Fender Mount CB Antenna Bracket
I found a great CB antenna bracket - really well made and it's Stainless Steel (I painted it anyway) and it's $19.99
https://topsyproducts.com/products/fender-mount-antenna-bracket

There are other options including this one but you can probably see why I like Topsy's best.

RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket, 2-3/4 x 4-1/2"
If there's any weakness with the Cobra CB it's the speaker that's in the handset/mic as it can be challenging to hear especially in a Jeep. So I chose this highly rated, small, external speaker. I haven't yet hooked it up so I can't comment on its quality but the reviews are good and the price is right :) I'll find a temporary place to put it as this isn't something I'll want in the Jeep full-time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZIC18Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, that's the hardware now on to the installation...
Want to thank you for this detailed post. I purchased almost everything here and will be following your lead on my own installation for my CB communication solution. Next will be adding a GMRS unit so all the comms bases are covered.

Thanks again brother.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Want to thank you for this detailed post. I purchased almost everything here and will be following your lead on my own installation for my CB communication solution. Next will be adding a GMRS unit so all the comms bases are covered.

Thanks again brother.
I’m glad you found my posts helpful. Safe travels my fellow Gladiator