OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I am FAR from a comms expert and even further from an enthusiast. My focus was a hidden setup and I wanted a single antenna to keep it that much more minimal. I’ve seen many people use it without issue, but I also only have a 2’ FireStik and am concerned I should have gone for a 3’. Back to the drawing board! I’ve been referencing these guys for knowledge.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

Also, a pretty trick mount that looks clean is the CoolTechLLC if you change your mind. It’s what I put on mine and I routed the cabling by the dash/center console/ carpet area - similar to where you had your arrows. I’ll have to snap a pic at some point.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/104-jl-mic-mount.html
My Firestik antenna unscrews in seconds. And there's one Jeep bolt underhood that holds the bracket in place - I can unbolt it and put the bolt back in and there's no bracket there at all. Viola! No signs of a CB anywhere :)

The Cooltech Mic Mount is nice - it's been around for some years - very popular with the Jeep CB'ers but again, due to clutter, it's not for me.

I hope you get your CB issues sorted out. It's frustrating dealing with comms issues. You just want them to work (like doing electrical wiring - there's that one final step of turning something on while hoping it works)!
Sponsored

Sgray

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 v10 , 2020 jeep JTR
Occupation
retired
Hi Tyler, I'm guessing your ground is OK as the radio is working. I'm no comms expert but I'll guess it's something else like your combined antenna solution. I'll guess that if you go with a separate antenna on a good bracket you won't have this issue.

As for mic mounting, I my response won't be what you're looking for. I'm keeping my mic on my Ebrake handle (on top of a microfiber cloth) as I only have the CB handset connected and in the Jeep when I'm on a trip. I don't want the CB in the Jeep other times as I try to avoid clutter and the "cockpit" look :LOL:
Nice right up I went and got the 18' one before i even got the glad and cut it 12" longer than i needed you did the same as i did except i used the oval pug below the one you used to get in the cab it is rubber and was able to push the wire thru no problems after making hole and yes it works just fine and yes the stereo dose not play while using the aux jack. I here the CB loud and clear.
thanks for the input. jeep rules

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I found a place for the external remote CB speaker. It fits great right in the recess in the top of the dash. I used 3M Command strips - their white color hook & loop stuff made for hanging pictures on the wall.
CB - 2.jpeg
I think you can get those strips in black so they don’t stand out when the speaker is removed.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I think you can get those strips in black so they don’t stand out when the speaker is removed.
Thanks. I used 3M Command strip since I plan on removing it (I have sticky Velcro but didn't use it). With your help I found black color 3M Command strips available at Walmart and Amazon so I'll buy that and use it.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I used 3M Command strip since I plan on removing it (I have sticky Velcro but didn't use it). With your help I found black color 3M Command strips available at Walmart and Amazon so I'll buy that and use it.
It probably won’t matter on the back of the speaker, but white is going to definitely stand out on your dash!

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It probably won’t matter on the back of the speaker, but white is going to definitely stand out on your dash!
I used Command strips because I'm going to remove the strip inside the dash tray

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it. I misunderstood and thought that was just for some future removal, not for each trip.
That’s why I thought the black would be better suited as the black would probably be unnoticed if left in place when the speaker was removed.

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Step 2 - Power and Ground for the CB unit

Easy peasy - just used the auxiliary wire that's under the glovebox. I used the wire that is switched (on with the ignition). It wasn't entirely clear where the wire is as it's dark, a little tough to get in there and FCA uses a lot of this sticky black fabric tape/tube for bundling wires. I went online and found some Jeep owners (lot more info on this kind of stuff in the JL forums but not all of it is the same as most posts are for 2018 JLs, etc.) saying the wires are over to the right by the passenger kick panel. They're not.

The wires are underneath the glovebox near the footwell light. Look for a "loop" of bundle of fabric-covered wires - the wire bundle is looped back to itself. In this pic you can see the loop and the footwell light...

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.44.58 AM.png

You can remove the tape by hand but it's not easy to unwrap it so you could carefully snip the tape using scissors or wire dykes.

In this pic you can clearly see the loop and the footwell light...

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.48.14 AM.png

Loop pulled away...
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.49.17 AM.png

Once you've unwrapped the end of the wire bundle wrap you'll see the ends of the wires themselves. You can strip away the black wire ends rather than snip them off completely (which some have done).

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.50.27 AM.png

Here's what the manual provides...
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.53.54 AM.png

And this is the Wire Color Chart from the Owners Manual with circuit number, fuse/amps, wire color and locations (under dash and under hood)...
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.54.53 AM.png

For power I used the last item in the above list: Ignition so the CB radio's power is switched - on and off with the ignition.

I mentioned ground - some have gone to the passenger kick panel / side wall and grounded there. It's a good location but I used an easier one - with the glovebox removed you'll see some screws attached to a metal frame member. I loosened one of the screws and grounded the CB unit there. I'll try to take a pic today before I put the glovebox back in.

I've got my entire set-up temporarily installed until I fabricate my overhead panel. This means my radio is squished between my passenger seat and the console, and my power is from a cigarette lighter type plug. My problem is that the power plug is a horribly noisy installation. So my question is: do you have any noise issues (excess static) with the provided hard-wire option? Currently, I have to turn the squelch almost all of the way up, and I'm hoping the hard-wire installation will be much cleaner. Any comments?

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got my entire set-up temporarily installed until I fabricate my overhead panel. This means my radio is squished between my passenger seat and the console, and my power is from a cigarette lighter type plug. My problem is that the power plug is a horribly noisy installation. So my question is: do you have any noise issues (excess static) with the provided hard-wire option? Currently, I have to turn the squelch almost all of the way up, and I'm hoping the hard-wire installation will be much cleaner. Any comments?

As you know a CB has a squelch knob that gets used but no, I had no issues with sound quality at all. No engine/electrical whine or noise from it - I didn't hear any noise that I could attribute to my Gladiator. The power source under the dash and the ground I used worked very well.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
As you know a CB has a squelch knob that gets used but no, I had no issues with sound quality at all. No engine/electrical whine or noise from it - I didn't hear any noise that I could attribute to my Gladiator. The power source under the dash and the ground I used worked very well.
Great write up. I have followed it closely. I have found the plastic plug. Since i do not yet have my antenna cable I have not yet tried get it out. It looks hard to get to but I think I can get to it with pliers. How did you reach in there to get it back in. I am wondering if drilling a hole from inside at The driver’s feet would be easier as you would not have to take it out and put back in. Also I plan to disconnect my antenna for when I am not using my CB. Any thoughts about whether I would have to completely remove the cable or is there a place under the hood where I can zip tie it for storag?

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I love these instructions and I love OP's avatar

Has anyone used Cobra's magnetic antennae kit? HGA1500

MadMan81

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dan, now that you have had this set up for a while, how do you like it so far? I recently got my hands on the same Cobra model as a gift, and this the ideal setup I am looking to go with. Have you had any issues or changed anything out since you've done the install? Anything you would do differently? Also, how hard would it be to add a quick release to the antenna. If i didn't want the antenna on 24/7?