Centerforce clutch and revolution gears review

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I installed my Centerforce clutch kit. I got the whole thing with the upgraded hydraulics. Overall not really that hard to do. Hardest part really was getting at all the bolts on the transmission. That and not knowing that the bolt holes weren’t symmetrical. But it was doable with the truck on jackstands in the garage. I did buy a $200 transmission jack from harbor freight. If you are mechanically
Inclined it really is just removing components and reinstalling them. Granted they are large components.
Now driving with the new clutch. Night and day. I can’t tell you how much of a difference it has made in how the truck drives. Doesn’t stall with light throttle input in first gear or reverse. I can leave my foot off the gas at idle and release the clutch and the jeep will start moving. No bucking or protest. Just idles along at 2 mph. It will idle uphill in both first and second gear. Now I did regear at the same time as the clutch. I put 5.13’s on my 2020 rubicon on 35’s. I’m sure the gears help.
As far as the gears go they have made the jeep good for towing now. First gear is short. Only gets up to about 11 or 12 before shifting. Second goes to about 22. 3rd gear at 45mph is around 3500 rpm. Which is perfect because when we went to Colorado last year towing my camper, we were climbing out of Denver on 285 and the speed limit was 45. I was winding it out in 2nd gear at like 4000 rpm to do 40 but couldn’t shift to 3rd because I lost 1500 rpm. Now with the new gears it’s right in the sweet spot of the power band. I think next time I will have zero issues maintaining 45 mph up that hill. Plus I got 5th and 6th gear back. Now at 65 mph in 6th gear I’m cruising around 2300 rpm. It really has made all the difference in how the truck drives. I could be a little off on how I’m remembering the rpm’s but I’m close. It really is so much better. It was expensive and took me a month to do but it is so much better than stock now. If you are thinking of any of these upgrades I can’t recommend it enough. My camper is a small home built teardrop camper that weighs like 3000 pounds for reference. Maybe I can even maintain 75 on I70 across Kansas now. Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Justins_JT

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Ok I couldn’t figure out how to edit so I’ll just add on here. On my lunch break I wrote down actual rpm numbers.
2nd gear at 3000 rpm is 22 mph
3rd gear at 3700 rpm is 45 mph
5th gear at 2900 rpm is 65 mph
6th gear at 2500 rpm is 65 mph

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Shorter diff gears with a properly designed clutch system is a win-win in all scenarios. How it should've been from the factory.
Congrats, sounds like a hoot

Was bleeding / filling the hydraulics back up difficult?

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for this report and review. I have wanted for a long time, to move to this new clutch and costs plus circumstances have prevented it. When I read your description of how much better it drove and didn't stall out at redlights, I just started salivating, ha.

So glad that it works out so well.

ChiefsJT

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ, 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
GM for a Napa group of stores.
How did the Revolution gears setup? Easy to get a good pattern?​
I'm about to order gears, and some of my locals are recommending Yukon gears only, but I've had great success with Revolution on my YJ. Thanks​

Sponsored

OP
OP
Justins_JT

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Was bleeding / filling the hydraulics back up difficult?
No actually. I was worried about it being difficult and I even bought a bleeder kit to do it but ended up not needing it. The kit comes with directions on how to do it. Just pump the slave cylinder by hand before inserting it. I was skeptical but it worked fine.

OP
OP
Justins_JT

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
How did the Revolution gears setup? Easy to get a good pattern?​
I'm about to order gears, and some of my locals are recommending Yukon gears only, but I've had great success with Revolution on my YJ. Thanks​
I had never done gears before. I had to pop the carrier out maybe 4 times to move shims around. Both axles from the factory had almost identical shims. And they were one piece shims. The pinion shim for the factory worked on both front and rear for the new gears. Got a good pattern on both. I probably could have messed with the front more to get it better but I decided it wasn’t worth the effort. I bought a case spreader on Amazon for $100 but it was really more trouble than it was worth. I did my 500 mile break in and everything seems fine. No noises or vibrations. Time will tell of course.

ChiefsJT

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ, 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
GM for a Napa group of stores.
I had never done gears before. I had to pop the carrier out maybe 4 times to move shims around. Both axles from the factory had almost identical shims. And they were one piece shims. The pinion shim for the factory worked on both front and rear for the new gears. Got a good pattern on both. I probably could have messed with the front more to get it better but I decided it wasn’t worth the effort. I bought a case spreader on Amazon for $100 but it was really more trouble than it was worth. I did my 500 mile break in and everything seems fine. No noises or vibrations. Time will tell of course.
Thanks! That’s good to hear. I plan on doing my own on the JT, so thanks for the pointers.

eroc87

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
I installed my Centerforce clutch kit. I got the whole thing with the upgraded hydraulics. Overall not really that hard to do. Hardest part really was getting at all the bolts on the transmission. That and not knowing that the bolt holes weren’t symmetrical. But it was doable with the truck on jackstands in the garage. I did buy a $200 transmission jack from harbor freight. If you are mechanically
Inclined it really is just removing components and reinstalling them. Granted they are large components.
Now driving with the new clutch. Night and day. I can’t tell you how much of a difference it has made in how the truck drives. Doesn’t stall with light throttle input in first gear or reverse. I can leave my foot off the gas at idle and release the clutch and the jeep will start moving. No bucking or protest. Just idles along at 2 mph. It will idle uphill in both first and second gear. Now I did regear at the same time as the clutch. I put 5.13’s on my 2020 rubicon on 35’s. I’m sure the gears help.
As far as the gears go they have made the jeep good for towing now. First gear is short. Only gets up to about 11 or 12 before shifting. Second goes to about 22. 3rd gear at 45mph is around 3500 rpm. Which is perfect because when we went to Colorado last year towing my camper, we were climbing out of Denver on 285 and the speed limit was 45. I was winding it out in 2nd gear at like 4000 rpm to do 40 but couldn’t shift to 3rd because I lost 1500 rpm. Now with the new gears it’s right in the sweet spot of the power band. I think next time I will have zero issues maintaining 45 mph up that hill. Plus I got 5th and 6th gear back. Now at 65 mph in 6th gear I’m cruising around 2300 rpm. It really has made all the difference in how the truck drives. I could be a little off on how I’m remembering the rpm’s but I’m close. It really is so much better. It was expensive and took me a month to do but it is so much better than stock now. If you are thinking of any of these upgrades I can’t recommend it enough. My camper is a small home built teardrop camper that weighs like 3000 pounds for reference. Maybe I can even maintain 75 on I70 across Kansas now. Lol
Have you submitted for reimbursement to Jeep to cover the aftermarket clutch? I'm curious if anyone has had luck on getting their claim approved. I had my centerforce installed in March.

OP
OP
Justins_JT

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Have you submitted for reimbursement to Jeep to cover the aftermarket clutch? I'm curious if anyone has had luck on getting their claim approved. I had my centerforce installed in March.
No I hadn’t thought of it. Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.

Sponsored

The Sigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
For your Centerforce, did you go with II or DF? What was your deciding factor of one and not the other?

OP
OP
Justins_JT

Justins_JT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I got the centerforce II kit. It was dual friction. I think the difference is the disc material. One was organic and the other was carbon. I got the organic. Was cheaper
Sponsored