Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
I have a small 2 piston compressor for airing up after off-roading. It works okay with the supplied 1/4 inch flexy hose on one tire at a time. I believe the CFM is 2.47.
I went and got some Flexilla hose, thinking that I could at least set up a dual tire system, to, you know, save a little time and effort. Problem seems to be that I got the 3/8th inch hose and, while it works great for airing down and getting the same pressure in each tire, my poor little pump just doesn't seem to like airing two tires at a time. Tires are stock Duellers and about 31-32 inch diameter. 245R17s.
The pump will valiantly try for a few seconds and then shuts off. I turn the switch off and back on and it will pump a few more seconds. it appears to be trying to push too much volume and the pump runs out of breath. It is not overheating...
Without doing a $300+ compressor, what kind of CFM should I be looking for? Hopefully under $100 range if possible? Or would reverting to 1/4 inch hose work?
Anybody have any luck at 5 cfm for something like this?

Jeep Gladiator Compressor Recommendation 1652891409761

Jeep Gladiator Compressor Recommendation 1652891500712
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
It doesn't seem logical that it's shutting off with a larger hose, how does it run with no hose at all? It's possible the new hose fittings are more restrictive. Are you sure it's not over heating?

Check your local Napa for the 300 lpm Maxi Trac compressor, over 10 cfm and frequently discounted to around $100.

OP
OP
Dennis K

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ret
It doesn't seem logical that it's shutting off with a larger hose, how does it run with no hose at all? It's possible the new hose fittings are more restrictive. Are you sure it's not over heating?

Check your local Napa for the 300 lpm Maxi Trac compressor, over 10 cfm and frequently discounted to around $100.
I know right? It has a Schrader valve on the end of its connected hose, so I haven't tried it to the open air. I will.
New fittings air down okay so are not restrictive.
Not overheating as it shuts off within 10 seconds.
I'll look for that compressor. 10 cfm is impressive for that dollar amount...
Thanks for the comment my friend...

OP
OP
Dennis K

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ret
Problem solved, I believe.
So the pump ran well into an open hose.
I pugged the tires (2) into the air harness I made and let them fill the compressor to pressure. Then I ran the pump with no problem. It took a bit of time to pump two tires up, but again, it's a simple 2.47cfm pump. I was able to switch to the other two tires immediately and the pump did not overheat.
I think I did overdo it with the 3/8 inch Flexilla hose though. That's a lot of hose to find a place for. I did 2 20' lengths so I can doo both rear together. I might cut one down and just do a side at a time...
Thanks again for your input...

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Smittybilt has a 5.65cfm pump that I have used for years now with no issues.
Sponsored