First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
We use two methods. The first is the tried and true green Coleman 2 burner stove. We bought a hose adaptor for it so we can use a 20 lbs propane tank with it and don't have to hunt the small bottles down. The other that we use is a 17 inch Blackstone griddle top we picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods. The griddle top allows us more flexibility to cook without having to use pans all the time and the Coleman allows us to boil water easily.
Got any pics?
Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've got the camp chef dual burner. Basically the same as a coleman, I think. I do like that it has an igniter built in. I'm shopping the hose adapter @Free2roam mentioned because the hard pipe is a PITA.
If I was buying one today I'd give the folding Jetboil a long look. It's compact and I've been very happy with my jetboil products.
https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/genesis-basecamp-stove
Jeep Gladiator Cooking while overlanding. 1617810099692

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
If you just cooking for 1 or 2 people and your not looking for fancy there are a ton of options that are inexpensive. Also what are you looking to cook would be a factor. I cook in a lot of remote areas. Single Box Stoves are great as well as many have said the coleman stoves. Never fall for those gimick things like Tembo Tusk Skottles, etc. You can buy an 18' Disc for $40 and a Box Stove for $20-$30 and do the same thing as that $400 setup. I use things like single box stoves, jetboils or microburners with a skillet or pot and can cook some fantastic things.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I
I've got the camp chef dual burner. Basically the same as a coleman, I think. I do like that it has an igniter built in. I'm shopping the hose adapter @Free2roam mentioned because the hard pipe is a PITA.
If I was buying one today I'd give the folding Jetboil a long look. It's compact and I've been very happy with my jetboil products.
https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/genesis-basecamp-stove
Jeep Gladiator Cooking while overlanding. 1617810099692
I have a friend who has one of these its not worth the money. You can accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost unless you just have a lot of cash your ok with getting rid of

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those of you using Coleman, are they older models, or recently purchased? A couple years ago I was in the market for a two burner stove and looked at the current Coleman's. In my opinion quality has gone WAY down and I opted for the Camp Chef Everest. To me, if you're looking for the Coleman stove in your memory, go with Camp Chef instead.
Camp Chef Everest is a good dual burner stove if you need something with some fire power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I typically cook for a group. I have been looking at a southwest disk. Even if it's just me and the wife. I cook large meals. Got the three burner Coleman stove too. And a couple single burners. Want to convert to propane. We shall see. First is the overlanding trailer I need to finish designing and build.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I typically cook for a group. I have been looking at a southwest disk. Even if it's just me and the wife. I cook large meals. Got the three burner Coleman stove too. And a couple single burners. Want to convert to propane. We shall see. First is the overlanding trailer I need to finish designing and build.
Company called Southwest Discs. www.southwestdics.com I think is it. For $45 you can get an 18" high quality disc that can cook a lot of food. They make bigger one's You will need something like a box stove with no sides or attached top and you will be able to cook a lot of stuff. A lot of the box stoves are butane. I would suggest finding one that is either butane or has the ability to do propane also. I just used this exact setup on a recent trip. We cooked up a ton of blackened shrimp and fish along with tortillas, etc.

Johnnyblender

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 JLU High Altitude
Occupation
Engineer
We are running a 22 inch 2 burner cook partner stove on a trail kitchen compact. We have been very happy with this setup.

Last edited:

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Company called Southwest Discs. www.southwestdics.com I think is it. For $45 you can get an 18" high quality disc that can cook a lot of food. They make bigger one's You will need something like a box stove with no sides or attached top and you will be able to cook a lot of stuff.
Careful w/ that typo, who knows what might show up in your browser history ... :CWL:

https://www.southwestdisk.com/ ... is this the place?

Sponsored

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I go with Coleman Triton 2 burner. I go with "kitchen box" packing. One large Plano Sportsman trunk and fit everything except the table in there. I use one of those GSI Outdoors cooking table and then the small Plano box for dry foods. Will fit in the bed of the truck end to end and the table rests on top of the boxes (bungee if needed) with tonneau and tailgate closed. Here's the most recent pic under our shelter tent (it had rained). Not great for detail, but you'll get the gist.
Jeep Gladiator Cooking while overlanding. 1618856590402

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just FYI if you are in windy areas the Sportbrella XL you can get at Academy is priceless for cooking in windy conditions. We frequently cook in 15-20 mph winds sometimes more.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Camp Chef Everest is a good dual burner stove if you need something with some fire power.
We have a Coleman 2-burner that's probably ~15 years old. Last year we upgraded to the Camp Chef Everest.

It's hard to beat the Coleman.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a Coleman 2-burner that's probably ~15 years old. Last year we upgraded to the Camp Chef Everest.

It's hard to beat the Coleman.
Yea I have a Colman 2 Burner that has some years and use on it. Definitely can't go wrong for the price. My latest cooking toy is a box stove that puts out 15,000 BTU but has the ability to offer both Butane and Propane via hose hook up. I like the idea of using the Propane on it since I put my cooking disc on top and it covers the portion where the butane can would normally be plugged in. Never liked having hot surface over the butane can section so could never use my disc like I wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RO9WG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
One of my Jeep buddies test drove my Everest last weekend, I told him I'd upgraded from my Coleman like he still uses. So much more control in addition to so much MORE heat!

Sponsored