First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
So I just brought home my new 2021 JTR and have parked it in the garage until I can get some things done to protect it a bit better before taking it out into the world; floor mats, mud flaps, hinge protection film, tint, paint protection, etc. For the most part, I've got the accessory stuff narrowed down, but I've decided that instead of paying someone a large sum of money to detail it and ceramic coat it, that I would buy the products and do it myself, and then I'll still have a fair bit of product left for weekly/monthly maintenance washes and such. The problem is, is that there is a TON of products out there and as much as I've been trying to read up on it all, the process is still a bit fuzzy. So, here's what I'm thinking about buying and the process I'm thinking about following. Feel free to critique:

1. Adam's wheel and tire cleaner
2. Chemical Guys Clean slate wash (w/ foam cannon)
3. Adam's Iron Remover
4. CG light clay bar
5. CG Clean slate wash
6. CG V38 Final polish w/ White Hex Logic pad (Torq10FX polisher)
7. Possibly CG V36 Cutting polish w/ Orange Hex Logic pad if it needs it (it's only got 500mi on it, so I doubt it will)
8. CG pad conditioner for buffing
9. CG WipeOut and rebuff problem areas
10. CG Clean slate wash
11. Adam's Surface prep spray
12. Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating
13.a Adam's Brilliant Glaze
13b. Adam's Paint sealant
14. Adam's Ceramic coating wax (they're really proud of this stuff, $$$. Necessary?)
15. Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss
16. Adam's glass cleaner
17. Adam's graphene tire dressing
18. Adam's interior detailer
19. Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner
20. CG Honeydew snow foam and Adam's H2O G&G spray for weekly maintenance

Seems like overkill, but I want to do it right the first time and hopefully all future washes and care will be simpler if I take the time now to lay down the groundwork.

Thoughts on what you would change or do differently? I'm continuing to read as much as I can on detailing forums and such but wanted you guys opinions as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Check out Zaino. When I was actually able to detail my own vehicles this is all I used. The results are amazing.

Zaino Store

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Maybe I missed it, but what product are you using to polish after you clay it?
With it being new, you will probably only need a one stage polish job but it should be done anytime after you clay the surface because you are actually marring the clear coat as you clay so polishing after will get rid of any marring.
Also after you initially wash the vehicle then use the iron remover to help decontaminate the paint before you use the clay on the surface. This way you are not marring the surface more with iron particles stuck in the clay.

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Maybe I missed it, but what product are you using to polish after you clay it?
With it being new, you will probably only need a one stage polish job but it should be done anytime after you clay the surface because you are actually marring the clear coat as you clay so polishing after will get rid of any marring.
Also after you initially wash the vehicle then use the iron remover to help decontaminate the paint before you use the clay on the surface. This way you are not marring the surface more with iron particles stuck in the clay.
Plan was to use CG's V38 for the polish and V36 should I encounter a scratch that the V38 can't remove.

Good to know about the iron remover before claying. Ill switch it up.

Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
That's quite the list! Just don't get burned out - enjoy it no matter how far you take it, or if you want to pare it down or use cheaper products, don't worry yourself over it. Detailing should be therapeutic. Have fun!

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Plan was to use CG's V38 for the polish and V36 should I encounter a scratch that the V38 can't remove.

Good to know about the iron remover before claying. Ill switch it up.
I haven’t used Chemical guys V38/36 for polishing so I can’t give an opinion on them, but if you are open for suggestions look into Meguiar’s 210 and 110 for cut and polish… they are easy to buff off and produce very little dusting which is a concern when you are about to apply ceramic coating.
Also don’t forget to get yourself a good set of fresh microfibers

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
So I just brought home my new 2021 JTR and have parked it in the garage until I can get some things done to protect it a bit better before taking it out into the world; floor mats, mud flaps, hinge protection film, tint, paint protection, etc. For the most part, I've got the accessory stuff narrowed down, but I've decided that instead of paying someone a large sum of money to detail it and ceramic coat it, that I would buy the products and do it myself, and then I'll still have a fair bit of product left for weekly/monthly maintenance washes and such. The problem is, is that there is a TON of products out there and as much as I've been trying to read up on it all, the process is still a bit fuzzy. So, here's what I'm thinking about buying and the process I'm thinking about following. Feel free to critique:

1. Adam's wheel and tire cleaner
2. Chemical Guys Clean slate wash (w/ foam cannon)
3. Adam's Iron Remover
4. CG light clay bar
5. CG Clean slate wash
6. CG V38 Final polish w/ White Hex Logic pad (Torq10FX polisher)
7. Possibly CG V36 Cutting polish w/ Orange Hex Logic pad if it needs it (it's only got 500mi on it, so I doubt it will)
8. CG pad conditioner for buffing
9. CG WipeOut and rebuff problem areas
10. CG Clean slate wash
11. Adam's Surface prep spray
12. Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating
13.a Adam's Brilliant Glaze
13b. Adam's Paint sealant
14. Adam's Ceramic coating wax (they're really proud of this stuff, $$$. Necessary?)
15. Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss
16. Adam's glass cleaner
17. Adam's graphene tire dressing
18. Adam's interior detailer
19. Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner
20. CG Honeydew snow foam and Adam's H2O G&G spray for weekly maintenance

Seems like overkill, but I want to do it right the first time and hopefully all future washes and care will be simpler if I take the time now to lay down the groundwork.

Thoughts on what you would change or do differently? I'm continuing to read as much as I can on detailing forums and such but wanted you guys opinions as well.
I just did the Adam's Graphene Ceramic on my truck last weekend.
If you get the full Adam's Graphene Ceramic kit, it will come with a 4 oz. bottle of the Surface Prep Spray (which won't be anywhere near enough for the whole truck).
When it runs out, just use 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy to finish the job. They told me at Adams when I called about running out of product that the surface prep is basically nothing more than isopropyl alcohol, & has nothing proprietary in it that is necessary for application of the graphene.
So you can save yourself a little by not purchasing the Surface Prep Spray on your list.

Also make sure to get the kit that includes the UV light (can use the money you saved on the Surface Prep for this). That way you will insure that you don't miss any spots, and get complete coverage.
It's well worth the little extra, and you'll be surprised how many areas you would miss without it!

Hope this is a help.

Dave

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I just did the Adam's Graphene Ceramic on my truck last weekend.
If you get the full Adam's Graphene Ceramic kit, it will come with a 4 oz. bottle of the Surface Prep Spray (which won't be anywhere near enough for the whole truck).
When it runs out, just use 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy to finish the job. They told me at Adams when I called about running out of product that the surface prep is basically nothing more than isopropyl alcohol, & has nothing proprietary in it that is necessary for application of the graphene.
So you can save yourself a little by not purchasing the Surface Prep Spray on your list.

Also make sure to get the kit that includes the UV light (can use the money you saved on the Surface Prep for this). That way you will insure that you don't miss any spots, and get complete coverage.
It's well worth the little extra, and you'll be surprised how many areas you would miss without it!

Hope this is a help.

Dave
It does! Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I'm thinking about replacing the 'Rubicon' hood decals with a different flavor from PixieDecals. During what point in the process should I apply the new decals? Before/After Ceramic coat? After the polishing process when the paint is corrected but bare?

Sponsored

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm thinking about replacing the 'Rubicon' hood decals with a different flavor from PixieDecals. During what point in the process should I apply the new decals? Before/After Ceramic coat? After the polishing process when the paint is corrected but bare?
Decals need to be installed without any wax or coatings under them, so if you get the jeep coated ahead of time you will need to use alcohol to strip it from the application area and then can spot-reapply on top of the decals.

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Decals need to be installed without any wax or coatings under them, so if you get the jeep coated ahead of time you will need to use alcohol to strip it from the application area and then can spot-reapply on top of the decals.
Awesome! The perfect people to answer. Thanks.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen anyone about your OCD??

Ha. Enjoy.
Sponsored