Curb Weight (and balance) on scales

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
By some miracle, I've had my Gladiator for 3 days and it has not yet gained an 'accessory' 😳 so I thought it would be a good time to weigh it, prior to its inevitable weight gain.
It seems Jeep is pretty spot on with their published weight of 5050-5072 lbs for a Rubicon.
Configuration - 2021 Gladiator, Rubicon, V6 Pentastar, Auto, 3-piece Hardtop, stock (not 'steel') bumpers, full fuel (22gl @6.3lbs per, 138 lbs)
Weight (on certified scales) - 5040 lbs total, 2660 lbs- front axle (53%), rear axle 2380 lbs (47%)
Let the accessorizing begin . . .
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
By some miracle, I've had my Gladiator for 3 days and it has not yet gained an 'accessory' 😳 so I thought it would be a good time to weigh it, prior to its inevitable weight gain.
It seems Jeep is pretty spot on with their published weight of 5050-5072 lbs for a Rubicon.
Configuration - 2021 Gladiator, Rubicon, V6 Pentastar, Auto, 3-piece Hardtop, stock (not 'steel') bumpers, full fuel (22gl @6.3lbs per, 138 lbs)
Weight (on certified scales) - 5040 lbs total, 2660 lbs- front axle (53%), rear axle 2380 lbs (47%)
Let the accessorizing begin . . .
I realize this thread is a little dated, but do you remember where and if there was a charge to get you vehicle weighed ?

I have a diesel and there is so much debating over weight vs. the door jam sticker... I would like to get it clarified atleast for my vehicle once and for all.

I will admit though, looking at the vehicle, it is hard to believe that it(atleast for the 3.6) that its that close. From appearance, the front looks so much heavier than the front.

Thanks

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
thread is a little dated, but do you remember where and if there was a charge to get you vehicle weighed ?

I have a diesel and there is so much debating over weight vs. the door jam sticker... I would like to get it clarified atleast for my vehicle once and for all.

I will admit though, looking at the vehicle, it is hard to believe that it(atleast for the 3.6) that its that close. From appearance, the front looks so much h
If you want accurate weights, go to a certified scale such as CAT - although they are designed for semi's they do work for gladiators - as long as you try and make sure the gap between front and rear scales are at the midpoint of the truck.

Here's an example of mine when new with no accessories.
Jeep Gladiator Curb Weight (and balance) on scales Weights - stock - 1 Apr 22

I find it very interesting to note that although @mog (op) had a lighter scale, which is weird, than I, if you do the math, we both have the same weight distribution - well I am 1% lighter up front.

My configuration when new:
2022 JTR 3.6
RocTrakc 4:1 diff (NOT the full time option)
Hard top
Factory tonneau cover
Steel rear bumper
Plastic front bumper (steel frame)
33" Falcon Wildpeak tires
All options except advanced cruise control which also gives bumper sensors

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
If you want accurate weights, go to a certified scale such as CAT - although they are designed for semi's they do work for gladiators - as long as you try and make sure the gap between front and rear scales are at the midpoint of the truck.

I find it very interesting to note that although @mog (op) had a lighter scale, which is weird, than I, if you do the math, we both have the same weight distribution - well I am 1% lighter up front.

2022 JTR 3.6
Hard top
Factory tonneau cover
Steel rear bumper
Thanks for the quick response.

Wow.. only $12.50.... thats lower than I would have thought... but probably more expensive now that everything has covid/biden tax added to it (ha ha).

When you say center line, your not talking about weights/balances or anything right ? Just pure physical length ? I.e. measure the length of the jeep(bumper to bumper) and devide in half ?

* I see it on paper, but it's still hard to believe the numbers are so close, I'm sure mine will be somewhat different being a diesel though.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Thanks for the quick response.

Wow.. only $12.50.... thats lower than I would have thought... but probably more expensive now that everything has covid/biden tax added to it (ha ha).

When you say center line, your not talking about weights/balances or anything right ? Just pure physical length ? I.e. measure the length of the jeep(bumper to bumper) and devide in half ?

* I see it on paper, but it's still hard to believe the numbers are so close, I'm sure mine will be somewhat different being a diesel though.
Yeah I went off the bumper to bumper centerline, not the midpoint of the wheelbase. The reason was purely for consistency and to try and get the wheels spaced evenly over the two scales as much as possible since the scales are huge and meant for tractor/trailer combo.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yeah I went off the bumper to bumper centerline, not the midpoint of the wheelbase. The reason was purely for consistency and to try and get the wheels spaced evenly over the two scales as much as possible since the scales are huge and meant for tractor/trailer combo.
Good deal. I just spoke to my local cat scale location, the scale manager is out until the beginning of December, so I will set something up then. I think they said between $13/14.00 , so not bad.

I appreciate your help.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I shared a screen shot of your certificate... if not ok let me know and I will delete it.... should of asked first, sorry.

Just wanted to provide facts instead of the all to common feelings/opinions.

Let me know if its a problem, thanks again.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
No worries all good! I'm sure it will spark some good discussion. And I agree, opinions are helpful in some ways but facts matter and are often times overlooked.

Glad it helped some! I spent a LOT of time weighing things, and estimating and measuring accessories before deciding how to proceed to make sure I didn't totally screw up my Gladiator's performance. It was. a lot of work, but paid off in the end.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Since the scale works off the wheels or axles, it won't matter to the scale. The scale can't see what's above just the weight pressing down on it.

I recall weighing grain trucks and they wanted the truck on the center of the scale and they stopped you when your truck was centered. (WHEELBASE-WISE, not body)
They wanted the front axle the same distance from the front of the scale as the rear axle was from the rear of the scale at the elevators I sold grain to. I'd hope it wouldn't matter but..........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

2022 JTR 3.6
Hard top
Factory tonneau cover
Steel rear bumper
Proven the front of your truck is 260 pounds heavier. That makes sense considering where the weight of the drivetrain, heavy windshield frame, heavier front axle, etc. all are.
Looks like most are around 260-300 heavier in the front.
Take that red line in my other picture and you've got 260 pounds more in front of that line than behind it.

Move that red line forward just a bit to get the weight equal on each axle and then that's your center of gravity. Doesn't matter a lick what's sticking out behind the rear axle.

Your center of gravity is ahead of the center of the wheelbase front to back. Roughly where you sit.
If the truck was to spin like a top, you'd almost be the center point of that spin.

Yes, a Gladiator is heavier in the front - not by a whole lot but in this case, by 260 pounds.
Look at how much has to hang out behind the rear axle just to get the weight that evenly distributed.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Since the scale works off the wheels or axles, it won't matter to the scale. The scale can't see what's above just the weight pressing down on it.
I thought about this a lot when weighing my Gladiator. The issue is my first measurement, in a rush, I was vehicle centered, not wheelbase centered. So for consistency I kept vehicle centered. As for the scales themselves, I sure hope they are accurate but I am willing to bet that due to wheel base being much shorter than a semi, there is some level of inaccuracy because weight is not being applied to the scale evenly. Then again, since they are a certifying scale for the DOT, then one would think they are accurate. I asked them once and I think they said they get inspected and re-certified every couple of months.
Sponsored