Sponsored

Curt Echo Brake Controller on Mojave

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I don't believe there were Mojaves that didn't have the full receiver. So while it didn't have a specific "tow package" option, it was still outfitted accordingly as that was the default from what I know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Having a factory hitch receiver probably indicates it has the tow package. Did you buy it used? If so then maybe the previous owner installed one after purchasing it?

Here is a jeep link that can pull up your Gladiator's optional equipment listing to confirm that you have the entire tow package or not: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

Just add your VIN after the "=" sign. It worked for my Jeep.

Also, get a weight distribution hitch. The owners manual says you should use one for trailers over ~1500lbs, if I remember correctly. You will not regret it. I have a Curt brake controller too and they work great.
Great call on the VIN lookup! The camper comes with anti sway bars. Is that different than a weight distribution hitch?

Jeep Gladiator Curt Echo Brake Controller on Mojave IMG_3055

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
Maybe. All the weight distribution hitches I have seen have bars that shift the weight to the vehicle front axles and the trailer axles. On my WDH those bars also provide anti-sway functionality. Someone might call them anti sway bars.

So if you have anti sway bars, AND they gave you the weight distribution head with the tow ball that fits into your receiver, then the answer to your question is possibly yes. Do you have model numbers or part numbers? My WDH is a Fastway e2 hitch something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Fastway/FA92-00-1000.html.
Your setup would have 2 bars, 2 locations on the trailer for the bars to attach to, and a head with the trailer ball that 2 the bars connect to as well.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Maybe. All the weight distribution hitches I have seen have bars that shift the weight to the vehicle front axles and the trailer axles. On my WDH those bars also provide anti-sway functionality. Someone might call them anti sway bars.

So if you have anti sway bars, AND they gave you the weight distribution head with the tow ball that fits into your receiver, then the answer to your question is possibly yes. Do you have model numbers or part numbers? My WDH is a Fastway e2 hitch something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Fastway/FA92-00-1000.html.
Your setup would have 2 bars, 2 locations on the trailer for the bars to attach to, and a head with the trailer ball that 2 the bars connect to as well.
The guy selling the camper is including it, so I'll see how it does and upgrade if needed. I have no idea which one he has. I'd definitely prefer one that does both.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
The guy selling the camper is including it, so I'll see how it does and upgrade if needed. I have no idea which one he has. I'd definitely prefer one that does both.
I see. Check the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the trailer. There should be a sticker that tells you what that is. At least that’s the case on recently made trailers. The GCWR is the heaviest you should load the trailer and consider that the worse case weight you’ll be towing. Make sure that’s a good 1000 lbs or more less than the tow rating for your Gladiator. That way you’ll have some margin to your Gross Combined Weight Rating. Your JT payload rating is likely about 1000 lbs (check your sticker inside the driver door). 400 lbs of tongue weight, 2 adults and luggage, maybe kids, accessories, luggage racks, etc. will quickly get to 1000lbs. You’ll be overloaded if you are not careful to add things up. Good luck!

Sponsored

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I don't believe there were Mojaves that didn't have the full receiver. So while it didn't have a specific "tow package" option, it was still outfitted accordingly as that was the default from what I know.
My 22 Mojave did not have the tow package so it didnt have a receiver. I had to add one.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I see. Check the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the trailer. There should be a sticker that tells you what that is. At least that’s the case on recently made trailers. The GCWR is the heaviest you should load the trailer and consider that the worse case weight you’ll be towing. Make sure that’s a good 1000 lbs or more less than the tow rating for your Gladiator. That way you’ll have some margin to your Gross Combined Weight Rating. Your JT payload rating is likely about 1000 lbs (check your sticker inside the driver door). 400 lbs of tongue weight, 2 adults and luggage, maybe kids, accessories, luggage racks, etc. will quickly get to 1000lbs. You’ll be overloaded if you are not careful to add things up. Good luck!
Already on it! Yea, the payload rating will be the limiting factor for sure. I don't plan on carrying much in the trailer. Thanks for the info!