Difference in Suspension Class: HD vs Off-road vs Sport

Clarkr32

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I was looking at new 23 Rubicon and dealership websites are showing different suspension for rubicons. HD or Off-road or Sport
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I was looking at new 23 Rubicon and dealership websites are showing different suspension for rubicons. HD or Off
Probably need to inquire directly with the dealer. My guess is one has a Mopar lift, one has an aftermarket lift and the last is factory….

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You're going to have to ask the dealer. If they've added aftermarket lifts, then it's hard telling.

To my knowledge Jeep doesn't offer an "HD" which insinuates stiffer springs. Off Road could be them describing the Rubicon or Mojave suspension. In the real world Sport means something a LOT different than what you can do in a Gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It could simply be the terms they use for marketing or advertising and all of them have the same springs. I've seen some strange things done - they pick on a key word they think their customers will be drawn to and use it, even if it's really meaningless.
Rubicon doesn't have "sport" suspension so that one is most likely just a marketing term to make it sound special.
I've seen all levels of JT advertised as off-road suspension, and technically it's not way off because they are made to go off road.
Magazine articles tout "HD suspension" when showing how cool the Jeep they are reviewing is. Build sheets show HD on things that are the same on all levels of Gladiator.
They all have HD brakes, HD axles, HD this and that.
Anything other than asking the dealership if it's got a lift or aftermarket springs is just totally guessing, tossing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
And frankly, knowing how dealerships market on the web, I'd not be surprised if they were clueless. When I was shopping for a purple Jeep for my wife I had to cut through a load of crap in the web descriptions and when I contacted a couple of the dealerships, all I got was "come look and take a test drive" - no explanation because they couldn't explain it.

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
It could simply be the terms they use for marketing or advertising and all of them have the same springs. I've seen some strange things done - they pick on a key word they think their customers will be drawn to and use it, even if it's really meaningless.
Rubicon doesn't have "sport" suspension so that one is most likely just a marketing term to make it sound special.
I've seen all levels of JT advertised as off-road suspension, and technically it's not way off because they are made to go off road.
Magazine articles tout "HD suspension" when showing how cool the Jeep they are reviewing is. Build sheets show HD on things that are the same on all levels of Gladiator.
They all have HD brakes, HD axles, HD this and that.
Anything other than asking the dealership if it's got a lift or aftermarket springs is just totally guessing, tossing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
And frankly, knowing how dealerships market on the web, I'd not be surprised if they were clueless. When I was shopping for a purple Jeep for my wife I had to cut through a load of crap in the web descriptions and when I contacted a couple of the dealerships, all I got was "come look and take a test drive" - no explanation because they couldn't explain it.
While picking up some parts at my local dealer I'll never forget the sales guy trying to use those same key words with the customer he was with "HD axles etc" :LOL:.
Sponsored