Sponsored

DIY power generator or solar station in under seat storage?

Like_coffee

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm weighing my options on what to do for auxillary power needs while camping and eventual on board air. I'm thinking I'll have a 100w solar panel affixed to my hardshell RTT. That much I know. Easiest solution would be to buy a Jackery and store it in the garage when I don't need it.

However, I like the idea of keeping the integral parts of the system away from weather. My current thinking, is to run a DC-DC charger with a built in MPPT under the storage seat, along with a DIY battery bank (100ah LiFePo4), and a 1000w inverter. I can then mount fuses, monitors, etc behind the rear seat and maybe run some switches and outlets to the bed area for use while camping.

My main concern is heat. I'm guessing I'll need more airflow. I could potentially cut holes in the storage plastic and run computer fans to encourage airflow, but with the doors shut, I'd just be circulating the cabin air.

I can't do a rear seat delete because I have a family of five. For the same reason, I think I'd like to conserve as much bed space as possible for camping item storage when we go on longer expeditions (fridge, camp kitchen, table, second tent, clothes, recovery gear, etc).

Any ideas on how to achieve my goal? Anything I'm not considering?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Like_coffee

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm weighing my options on what to do for auxillary power needs while camping and eventual on board air. I'm thinking I'll have a 100w solar panel affixed to my hardshell RTT. That much I know. Easiest solution would be to buy a Jackery and store it in the garage when I don't need it.

However, I like the idea of keeping the integral parts of the system away from weather. My current thinking, is to run a DC-DC charger with a built in MPPT under the storage seat, along with a DIY battery bank (100ah LiFePo4), and a 1000w inverter. I can then mount fuses, monitors, etc behind the rear seat and maybe run some switches and outlets to the bed area for use while camping.

My main concern is heat. I'm guessing I'll need more airflow. I could potentially cut holes in the storage plastic and run computer fans to encourage airflow, but with the doors shut, I'd just be circulating the cabin air.

I can't do a rear seat delete because I have a family of five. For the same reason, I think I'd like to conserve as much bed space as possible for camping item storage when we go on longer expeditions (fridge, camp kitchen, table, second tent, clothes, recovery gear, etc).

Any ideas on how to achieve my goal? Anything I'm not considering?
Maybe this should be in the camping/overlanding section?

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I think either would be good spots, however you might get better responses in the overlanding section.

Personally, I have the Genesis dual battery kit that most things will be hardwired to, as well as a Goal Zero that my fridge and phones will plug into once at camp/for anything that needs to be on overnight. Goal Zero will be connected to two Renogy 100W panels wired in parallel.

Waiting on my Go Fast Camper to come in to install the panels, but I will be keeping the goal zero in the bed almost exclusively unless it gets extremely cold.
Sponsored