Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hello,

I have:
- sport s

and installed

- mopar 2inch lift
- 35' tires.

After the is i got it aligned and i took the jeep on a test run off road on a fairly easy trail and when i got home, went to check my bolts and per the video below (i got from another thread featuring a JL) but i'm getting the same noise/symptoms from the drag link to knuckle which i have re-torqued to specs (47 ftlbs is what i looked up).

Video:

After re-searching my best, i come to realize that a lot of people have been getting adjustable track bar and drag links?

I'm looking for advice on what's the best thing for me to do giving the lift in terms of parts (i've read a few sugestions yeti and JKS and i guess synergy is revising their parts)?

Do i just bolt them up and get an alignment?

Sorry about the newbie questions, first jeep/off road experience.

*added pic of the lift for fun*

Jeep Gladiator Drag Link - Knuckle noise after Mopar Lift jeep mopar lift and tires 35s

Here's my potential parts list below, any advice or suggestions are always welcomed.

thanks!

Jeep Gladiator Drag Link - Knuckle noise after Mopar Lift steering parts..PNG

*edit* just went to dealer and tugged on the draglink on another jt and same noise. *sheug*
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The noise you hear is just play in the rod ends. It is perfectly normal. Recenter the steering wheel at the drag link adjustment, then you're done.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
There should not be any play in the rod ends, its not normal. They need replaced.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
There should not be any play in the rod ends, its not normal. They need replaced.
Go push up and down on the front of a brand new drag link. It will have a slight bit of play. The drag link ends cannot be “single plane” rod ends like the tie rod ends can because they need to articulate as the suspension moves.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Go push up and down on the front of a brand new drag link. It will have a slight bit of play. The drag link ends cannot be “single plane” rod ends like the tie rod ends can because they need to articulate as the suspension moves.
I'm no master mechanic, but if there is play in a tie rod end, its bad. It should move freely and not bind, it should also not have any free play within the joint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Food2000

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Per my post edit above, i went to the dealer (wife was shopping a jeep wrangler) and while i was there, i tugged on a few drag links to the knuckle joint and yes, there's the same clicking amount of play when i do it by hand.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
In the video it looks like he is pushing up and pulling down, not rotating it. My bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Food2000

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
That was just a video i found that i think illustrates the noise / movement but i want to say it is up and down and traditionally from my ball joints experience any movement or clicking is bad.

However... i am reading mix information about it being normal.

Maybe i'll do a video so it clearer? It is surprising that the two jeeps i tugged on in the dealer parking lot had the same play.

*shrug*

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That was just a video i found that i think illustrates the noise / movement but i want to say it is up and down and traditionally from my ball joints experience any movement or clicking is bad.

However... i am reading mix information about it being normal.

Maybe i'll do a video so it clearer? It is surprising that the two jeeps i tugged on in the dealer parking lot had the same play.

*shrug*
If the drag link was straight, you would not want movement. Because the JL/JT drag link is bent for clearance around axle brackets/differential, pushing up/down causes rotational force (think of it like pushing up on the bend of a boomerang which was being held by someone else at each end). The tie rod ends are somewhat different in design, because the tie rod does not have to articulate when the suspension moves. These are "single plane" rod end design, so you don't (or shouldn't) get rotational movement if you do the same to the tie rod.
Sponsored