Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I just left the dealer on what I thought were two separate issues which now maybe related to one.

So initially I was thinking that my aux battery was bad after a bit of researching and that being a common issue with the auto start/stop feature being disabled which I’ve now been having the ight indicator on the dash. So because of that I was almost guaranteed I was going to have to replace the aux and possibly the main battery.

Second to that I had noticed that my drivers door lock unlock button on the inside will not work. Proximity works and the key fop but not the button. Ironically I noticed this shortly after vacationing in Florida with the doors off. On the way back is when the auto start stop feature light popped on the dash.

Didn’t think much of it and again thought they were separate issues. However, I leave the dealer today for a scheduled oil change and had them look at both issues and test both batteries and they are good and not the problem as I thought. They said there’s multiple things that go into that feature working and in my case it’s acting as if my driver door is open even when it’s closed. Which probably explains the lock not working. They immediately asked if I had the doors off recently which I told them I had. However once I seen it wasn’t working I checked the wiring harness and prongs to make sure non were bent etc. Doesn’t appear to be either.

Since they nor myself didn’t have the time for them to further troubleshoot, I just got the oil changed and left. I plan to bring back when I have better availability since now knowing my batteries aren’t bad.

What else should/could I be looking for on my own or is this straight a dealer issue?

8670D239-C0C0-4BE4-8278-76A6D4EC754E.jpeg
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That picture says it believes the doors are off. You definitely have a connection issue - almost certainly at the door connector - pin, etc.
Someone here said they found a pin that was straight but was pushed back out of the connector a bit and not making contact.
It's almost a safe bet - the issue is at that connector.
When auto park is off and the ESS isn't working, it's confused by mixed messages.
Some dealers have fixed that connector under warranty - YMMV with that, though.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
That picture says it believes the doors are off. You definitely have a connection issue - almost certainly at the door connector - pin, etc.
Someone here said they found a pin that was straight but was pushed back out of the connector a bit and not making contact.
It's almost a safe bet - the issue is at that connector.
When auto park is off and the ESS isn't working, it's confused by mixed messages.
Some dealers have fixed that connector under warranty - YMMV with that, though.
Thanks. yeah I mean I visually inspected the connector with a flash light multiple times even before my dealer trip and by looks everything appears ok. I’ll look again to maybe see if one of the prongs is maybe pushed in but I don’t think so.

I’m not doubting the issue is something to do with it possibly. Especially since it happened right after doors were off. It’s just weird that I cant pin-point it visually.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Appreciate it. Gonna look at that as well. I’m sure the issue is there just can’t see anything abnormal. Guess that’ll have to be replaced I’m sure. I’m sure the dealer will try and rape me on that too as I’m pretty sure warranty is up on almost everything.
Last week on our overland the passenger side power mirror quit working. We take the doors off and on all the time so I figured it was a pin issue. I unlatched the bulkhead from the kick panel so I could see up in there and sure enough found a pin that was slightly bent. Used a small flat screw driver and straightened it. Issue solved. Hopefully yours turns out the same.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Last week on our overland the passenger side power mirror quit working. We take the doors off and on all the time so I figured it was a pin issue. I unlatched the bulkhead from the kick panel so I could see up in there and sure enough found a pin that was slightly bent. Used a small flat screw driver and straightened it. Issue solved. Hopefully yours turns out the same.
Ok so update as of a few minutes ago. Although everything looked fine visually to my knowledge, after reference the above posts with the previous mentioned thread, it said to check both front and pass door. So although no issues with the passenger side, I checked anyways and used it as a reference to know exactly how the pins should look.

After doing so, I seen that the pins are set more to one side of the housing holes it’s seated in on the passenger side I used as reference. Rechecked the drivers side and noticed that one row of pins seemed to be placed more in the middle of the opening (which to the eye, looks fine as that doesn’t seem bent to me by any means). But in any case I disconnected the battery and used needle nose players and gently angled the prongs to the edge of the opening as I seen on the passenger side.

Started back up and now the door locks and unlocked. All other features (mirrors, dome light, which already worked also still work). So just the slightest bit of an angle can apparently throw things off. Makes me not want to take doors off again.

the auto start feature still seems to not be working though, but I only started it up once. I’ve heard that it takes a few driving cycles for it to learn that back though so I’m hoping that’s the case. (Kind of annoying anyways, so really I’m just happy the locks work now). I imagine that feature will kick back in. If not I’ll cross that bridge separately.

But hopefully that’s a full fix! Thanks all who responded.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Thanks. yeah I mean I visually inspected the connector with a flash light multiple times even before my dealer trip and by looks everything appears ok. I’ll look again to maybe see if one of the prongs is maybe pushed in but I don’t think so.

I’m not doubting the issue is something to do with it possibly. Especially since it happened right after doors were off. It’s just weird that I cant pin-point it visually.
Reseat the connector

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Reseat the connector

Not sure if you read entirely. But I reseated the connector maybe 3x before. Wasn’t working.

In any case as mentioned above it’s fixed.

Last edited:

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Not sure if you read entirely. But I reseated the connector maybe 3x before. Wasn’t working.

In any case as mentioned above it’s fixed.
Ah, missed that, sorry
Sponsored