www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Current setup - Genesis dual battery system, Bluetti 70S, 200 watts portable solar.

Usage - Fridge, Starlink, device charging, camp lights. I am going to be adding an ice maker.

Originally just used the Genesis before getting Starlink. As long as we were driving a bit every day it worked great. Added the Bluetti when the Starlink was added.

The current system is not quite enough power and doesn’t charge quickly. I keep the fridge plugged into the a/c on the power station as well as an outlet from the second Genesis battery. The Bluetti often dies during the night and the fridge switches over to dc. It works, but just barely.

I would prefer not to carry the solar panels. I want to be able to charge the power source quickly from the engine.

I am looking at two ways of doing this. Hoping to get some guidance from those that know this stuff better than I do.

1. Dc to dc charger to the house AGM battery under the hood. Inverter in the rear of the cab area wired to the house battery. Power station like the Ecoflow Delta Max that can charge very quickly off of the inverter. I like this method because it is simple and easy to setup. It gives me app control, all the outlets, etc.
  2. System like the Redarc that utilizes a stand-alone lithium battery. I don’t really need all of the functions the full system offers though. It is also a more complicated install that can’t be utilized anywhere other than in the Jeep.

I am leaning towards option 1. Are there reasons that I am not aware of to make that a bad option?

And finally, what size dc to dc, and can I use a 2000 watt inverter?
Sponsored

K6ghl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Eco, 2017 JKR
Occupation
Retired Aerospace engineer
I've had good luck with the Renogy 50 Amp DC-DC Charger with MPPT. Check out their web site solutions page for options that fit what your looking for.
Sponsored