John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I thought there was a service bulletin on this exact same thing for carbon build up ? I run 85 octane with no problems here in Colorado ( higher elevation )
Mine has done it since it was pretty new. It only has 50k but its been doing it since 5 or 10k that I noticed.
Sponsored

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I thought there was a service bulletin on this exact same thing for carbon build up ? I run 85 octane with no problems here in Colorado ( higher elevation )
here is the TSB for pinging and spark knock. However if it’s been doing since new it wouldn’t be this. I would think it would be a lot higher mileage Then most of you ?

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
here is the TSB for pinging and spark knock. However if it’s been doing since new it wouldn’t be this. I would think it would be a lot higher mileage Then most of you ?
If that's the one I think it is - it's only for high miles engines with carbon build-up due to a problematic PCV. It wouldn't be a problem until you had a lot of miles on it - well over 50,000+

The techs should still review the TSB and check for a problem PCV as oil in the charge can cause detonation - and that's why I say if any Pentastar actually had detonation, it's got a problem. They just don't do it unless there's a problem. It's NOT normal in any sense of the term.

And if it's a manual transmission, in other threads we've pretty well proven it's not engine pinging at all. Manual transmission JTs have a sound that's an awful lot like a ping of detonation to the untrained ear/inexperienced mechanic - but it's not detonation, it's not even in the engine proper.

So:
If it's a manual transmission, it's almost certainly not engine ping, there's another area it's coming from. (indicated by actual Jeep techs)
If it pings and it's truly detonation, it's either very high miles (refer to the posted TSB) and/or it's consuming OIL.
Oil can cause detonation, but that would be accompanied by abnormal oil consumption. You can't have any oil getting into the combustion chamber without a matching loss of oil in the crankcase. These don't make oil as they run. IF the PCV is bad and allowing oil mist into the combustion chambers, then that oil is coming out of the crankcase and you will see the oil level drop.
I can run 5,000 miles and not see a noticeable drop on the dipstick - it stays in the normal area.
I've never had to add oil to any 3.6 we've ever owned between oil changes. These just don't "burn oil" unless there's an issue. Mine is at a bit over 5,000 miles (will change oil in the next week or two) and still reads near full on the stick. My 2020 would do the same - 27,000 miles and never had the level down more than maybe 8 ounces on the stick.
If you see your 3.6 needing oil between changes - you may have a problem.
A normal 3.6 with a properly functioning PCV system won't ping - the sensors should prevent true ping unless there are other problems with the engine.

Watch the oil level.
Check spark plugs for a normal color and pattern.
Use Top Tier gas (search and you'll find lists of stations that are Top Tier - Costco is one of them believe it or not)

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running this tank down and will start putting 87 back in. I will try another dealer when the noise returns. And it will. I don’t want to buy high octane gas for the rest of my gladiator life. It’s an automatic, same tier gas as the 87 and 91. Not burning oil I don’t think. Pings with 87 but not with 91. I have an octane oddity
Sponsored