OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Thanks for the fantastic write-up. I have half-heartedly searched to buy a repair manual - now this has become a must have for me.

Your link indicates $120 for the USB (although it's currently out-of-stock now.) Is that correct? Your math above comes to $250 -- what am I missing?

It is not clear to me -- does this manual require a link to the internet to use, or is the entire manual stored on the USB?
sorry, that was from the JL forum. I couldnt find the manual for the JT even as an option and the JL was iffy on being available (my inquiry to Jeep about a JT FSM and they said it didn’t exist even for wranglers, that you HAD to get a subscription, made me point out the JL drives, so I thought maybe they pulled them, and thus rushed to ebay where I paid $230 for one after shipping. And a month later the JT FSM shows up...

The entire manual is on the USB. No internet connection required. In fact it will cut your connection while using at times
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the fantastic write-up. I have half-heartedly searched to buy a repair manual - now this has become a must have for me.

Your link indicates $120 for the USB (although it's currently out-of-stock now.) Is that correct? Your math above comes to $250 -- what am I missing?

It is not clear to me -- does this manual require a link to the internet to use, or is the entire manual stored on the USB?
Also it could be that I had already spent an extra $120 in ink and paper printing what I have so far, to print the DCT pages would be $300 estimated and thus the total value of $700 to have the contents of the FSM printed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
Does anyone know what the JEEP Torque Spec is for the Four Silver 10.9 Bolts that hold the corner support bracket from bumper to the frame. See attached photo. Please advise what it is.

Thanks
CP

20210220_163055.jpg

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know what the JEEP Torque Spec is for the Four Silver 10.9 Bolts that hold the corner support bracket from bumper to the frame. See attached photo. Please advise what it is.

Thanks
CP

20210220_163055.jpg
while not specifically pictured in an removal/install, the closest I can think of it being is the following

Front bumper support bracket nuts 20nM 15ftlbs

The ones listed below it are
Front bumper to frame nuts 90nM 66ftlbs
Tow hook bolts -front 127nM 94ftlbs
Front skid plate pencil brace to front skidplate bracket 9nM 7ftlbs 80inlbs

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have lost my current drives with the manuals during a move.

Oh well, was going to need to get the version for the 4xe anyway

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Seems that there is no more USB Service and Wiring Manuals forr the 2020 Gladiator, just through the online service? Is that what you are seeing state side?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just read one post and had an idea to make it searchable.

Open the manual on your computer. Do whatever you need to do to bring up the printing dialog. Then switch the printer to "print to PDF".

This will allow you to print to an output PDF without any of the restrictions on the original file. You will be turning a PDF into a PDF. But it will be accessible from your own storage location. It will be full text searchable and it will be based on the latest tech. Not unsupported (dangerous) old versions of Acrobat.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just read one post and had an idea to make it searchable.

Open the manual on your computer. Do whatever you need to do to bring up the printing dialog. Then switch the printer to "print to PDF".

This will allow you to print to an output PDF without any of the restrictions on the original file. You will be turning a PDF into a PDF. But it will be accessible from your own storage location. It will be full text searchable and it will be based on the latest tech. Not unsupported (dangerous) old versions of Acrobat.
I thought I had covered it in a previous post, but in case I did not: the print to PDF option is not available when you open up the software.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Seems that there is no more USB Service and Wiring Manuals forr the 2020 Gladiator, just through the online service? Is that what you are seeing state side?
The USB keys sell on ebay all the time. A wiring USB just sold on April 12.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I had covered it in a previous post, but in case I did not: the print to PDF option is not available when you open up the software.
I don't know how that's possible. Printing is handled at the operating system level. But obviously if its not there, its not there.

I'm actually pretty confident you could get around it using a 3rd party PDF maker.

However, even if there is no way around it, there is one foolproof way to make it into a fully text searchable PDF. Also, if the manual is broken into many different files, this would allow you to put it all into one large file.

Simply print it to paper, single sided, then scan it into a PDF and OCR it to make it full text searchable.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what its worth, I have tremendous respect for intellectual property rights. I am not advocating that once its "cracked" by printing and OCRing it, that you distribute it.

But it burns my ass when in their attempt to make something difficult to duplicate, they also make it a hassle to use for the purchaser.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how that's possible. Printing is handled at the operating system level. But obviously if its not there, its not there.

I'm actually pretty confident you could get around it using a 3rd party PDF maker.

However, even if there is no way around it, there is one foolproof way to make it into a fully text searchable PDF. Also, if the manual is broken into many different files, this would allow you to put it all into one large file.

Simply print it to paper, single sided, then scan it into a PDF and OCR it to make it full text searchable.
Yes and no - the interface is still the PDF viewer. Even FoxIt respects securities put into file as does CutePDF and other apps I've used.
It would take forever, but screen shots and OCR............
Anyway, I have a collection of TSBs and other factory info from AMC from decades past. When you share them with forum members, what was happening was people were grabbing them, burning them to CD and then selling them on eBay. I paid for the books, did all the work to let other AMC people have access and those clowns were SELLING the work.
So I started locking things up and watermarking them. So far, I've not seen those show up on eBay.
I wouldn't care if they copied them and sent them to people or linked to people - here, free stuff, but to make money on the days I spent, sorry, nope.
(Funny thing - the first batch I actually forgot the password and was unable to do anything with them myself so I had to scrounge finding the originals and scanning again and printing for my own use in my shop.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no - the interface is still the PDF viewer. Even FoxIt respects securities put into file as does CutePDF and other apps I've used.
It would take forever, but screen shots and OCR............
Anyway, I have a collection of TSBs and other factory info from AMC from decades past. When you share them with forum members, what was happening was people were grabbing them, burning them to CD and then selling them on eBay. I paid for the books, did all the work to let other AMC people have access and those clowns were SELLING the work.
So I started locking things up and watermarking them. So far, I've not seen those show up on eBay.
I wouldn't care if they copied them and sent them to people or linked to people - here, free stuff, but to make money on the days I spent, sorry, nope.
(Funny thing - the first batch I actually forgot the password and was unable to do anything with them myself so I had to scrounge finding the originals and scanning again and printing for my own use in my shop.
I'm not suggesting screen scraping.

I'm suggesting that you actually print it all to paper. Then physically scan, PDF, and OCR it. My $200 HP multifunction laser can scan 100 pages at a pop in about 5 minutes.

I didn't know that PDF files could have securities built into them to prevent someone from printing them to PDF. Its actually been years since I've encountered any kind of anti copy security in anything.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So first, the software uses flash. When you explore the drive it actually shows very little data on it, despite having tens of thousands of pages, with cross-links and several videos of instruction on it.

I value intellectual property very much. I am able to have printed versions of the files and can re-scan them for my purposes because I bought and have the original materials. The software could have prohibited ALL printing, but it doesnt. There are also some exceptions in copyright law on what you can fairly use/share. More importantly, I do not think Jeep will mind some sharing of torque specs to keep fellow jeepers safe.

Finally, I am not giving anyone legal advice, I am not your lawyer. My actions are based in part on talking to an expert in intellectual property.

I'm not suggesting screen scraping.

I'm suggesting that you actually print it all to paper. Then physically scan, PDF, and OCR it. My $200 HP multifunction laser can scan 100 pages at a pop in about 5 minutes.

I didn't know that PDF files could have securities built into them to prevent someone from printing them to PDF. Its actually been years since I've encountered any kind of anti copy security in anything.
I considered screencapping, but many pages exceed a normal screen and like I said, my work ended up with over 10k pages as it is
Sponsored