Sponsored

Feedback on which model is the best fit for me with the Diesel

JeepRage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Long story short, I really like the Mojave package (high clearance fenders, the ride, even the orange accents), but after driving it, think it is way short on power and leaning towards the diesel. I've only had a VW diesel in the past but did like it, and never a truck. There are NO diesels around (Mass) to test drive, so it would be more or less a blind order.

I've had a lot of Jeeps (JKUs with the 3.6, WK2s with the 3.6, WK with a Hemi are more recent ones), and aware of the trade-offs of living with a Wrangler vs something else. I have a 21' center console boat with t-top that I tow 1.5 hours each way a few times a year but stays in the water the rest of the time (probably 5500lbs loaded). I mostly work from home now, and do a weekly trash run or two to the dump. The rest of the time the truck will be useful for throwing bikes in the bed, lumber yard runs, etc. Besides the few times a year towing the boat, any light duty truck would be adequate. Is the diesel happy enough with 10 minute drives a few times a week, and then 45 mins on a weekend?

I have built up my Jeeps in the past with lift, bumpers, 35s, headlights, etc, but this time looking to leave mostly stock, minimal height to clear 315s, and fairly loaded. Dynamic cruise control, smart key, LEDs are all a must. Also leaning towards leather as a first for me in a Jeep due to easy of cleaning up of sand and mud. I drive in snow and disappointed that Selectrac isn't available with the diesel, and that LSD would actually be better than the lockers of a Rubicon for me. I don't imagine ever rock-crawling a Gladiator and using sway bar disconnect.

I typically keep something 3 years, but would like to keep this as a 2nd vehicle at some point, maybe 10 years max.

What are your thoughts? I am willing to add smart key to a Willys (as an example), but the price difference between a fully spec'ed Willys or Overland isn't much off a Rubicon, and I think I'd see more back upon sale on the Rubicon. Should I settle with lockers instead of LSD and call it a day? Willys and Overlands would need 35s immediately, which might mean a lift or swapping out fenders which I'd prefer not to do. I'm probably ordering a 2022 at this point, so the only real curveball would be if the 4xe is announced for order at the start of 2022 models.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
You sound like you want something fairly stock, wonā€™t destroy the warranty, but can have some simple mods.

Id go Rubicon. You can run 35x12.5r17 on stock wheels with stock suspension.

In snow, I was perfectly fine putting it in 4wd myself and didnā€™t miss have an lsd. Factory traction control is pretty amazing.

Only thing I regret is not getting leather. For the ease of cleaning like you mentioned.

OP
OP

JeepRage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
You sound like you want something fairly stock, wonā€™t destroy the warranty, but can have some simple mods.

Id go Rubicon. You can run 35x12.5r17 on stock wheels with stock suspension.

In snow, I was perfectly fine putting it in 4wd myself and didnā€™t miss have an lsd. Factory traction control is pretty amazing.

Only thing I regret is not getting leather. For the ease of cleaning like you mentioned.
I had 2015 JKU Sport stick with LSD and liked that, replaced with exact same but auto but missed LSD on the order and regretted it a lot, but only on street driving, usually on hard turns. I hear trucks are even worse with traction which is why I assumed essential.

I think you are right though... To prevent regrets Mojave gas or Rubicon diesel. So many iffy diesel reports it makes me second guess it.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
On a forum, youā€™ll see a concentration of the ā€œbadā€. For every bad, thereā€™s probably 100 good.

Im a good one. 7,500mi, zero issues.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
After 1200 miles Iā€™m happy with my diesel overland, my daily was a c7 z06. Power is great, I do have a 4.5ā€ lift for it and Iā€™m waiting on wheels and tires.
Sponsored