Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Hello forum, new member here. I use to own an XJ and then sold it and later bought a 73 fj40 that has a lq9 out of a Escalade with d60s and 38s. While this is a fun toy, and I live near the Rubicon, I am trying to build a fun overlanding trip vehicle. I just drove route 66 in my 49 chevy and it was a blast, but I need some creature comforts and when I did a road trip with my buddy to UT we took his loaded silverado which was way more comfortable, but when we tried some stuff at Moab it didnt do so well. I am looking for a Swiss Army knife/ jack of all trades master of nothing. Something that I can take to Rubicon, Fordyce, yet still load up and go see some national parks in Wy. I do plan on adding a RTT over the bed and try and tig up an aluminum adjustable height platform of some sort when I get the time. This way I can raise and lower it depending on what I am camping with, and when I am not I can take it out and still use this to throw square bales of hay and whatever other random project pieces i need to move. I am thinking about 35s or 37s with a mild lift. Something that I can warranty is a must as I think I will have this for a long time to come. My family normally keeps our new vehicles for about 18-25 years.

So with that out of the way I plan on ordering a JTRD diesel, because I own a ranch and we buy bulk diesel so it makes sense to do it this way. The options that I am for sure getting are the LEDs, Cold weather, trail rail and Towing. Ones I am on the fence about are the Leather,AUX, 8.4in screen and Proximity. I have the proximity on my Mini and I use it some times. If I leave the key hidden in the back of the bed or somewhere in the engine compartment would the doors still unlock? I ask this because when I go skiing or diving/ water sports I dont really like carrying electronics with me. I do wish that more people had the Ford dial pads on the doors to unlock them. I think theyre the best thing ever.

The aux I am on the fence as I will probably have Fog and rock lights one of these days, and a winch, but I have always had my winch connected directly to the battery I dont know if a winch would be a good idea to wire to an Aux. I am sure I could come up with other things to plug into.
The 8.4 in screen. My youngest vehicle is 2011 and so everything will be an upgrade stereo and video wise. Besides getting 1.4 inch bigger screen what exactly else do you get with your 2k premium? Is it something I will miss later on.
Leather while I love having leather, I have eczema and so I need cooled seats, I am thinking about going aftermarket for these. I am getting the heated seats because of the cold weather package. But I also hate cleaning cow shit and mud off my cloth seats that i had in my f250, If I get covers would i still be even able to feel the heat and cool/ventilation? Or should I go with the non perforated seats just the stock leather seats and try and do the cooling mod that people are talking about?

Sorry for the long read TIA for helping!!!
Jon
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Another question with the 7in screen can you still have the off road pages?

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Another question with the 7in screen can you still have the off road pages?
No. 8.4 only. You can still cycle through the information on the gauge cluster though.

The 8.4 also gets you upgraded audio with a subwoofer. I have it and it sounds nice.

I would also get the aux switches.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Ok so I will def be getting the Aux switches. Is there a big difference between the sound systems? I was planning on just streaming from pandora when not listening to the radio. Im not an audiophile. I am also technology illiterate. If doing it again would you pay for the upgrade again?

Is the perimeter key worth it? I would still have keyfob to lock and unlock.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I am not a hardcore off-roader for sure. I think about how difficult would it be to add an item later if I don't get it now.

The 8.4" screen is one of my favorite features by far. The subwoofer definitely has some bass.

I partially bought the Jeep I did because of proximity key. I wanted grey which didn't have it, so white it was.

The aux switches are a no-brainer if you add them from the beginning.

It would have been nice to have the package with the outlet in the bed. If custom ordering it wouldn't be a huge add to the vehicle you're proposing.

Also seems it would be to your advantage to add the ArmorLite flooring.

I have leather on my Overland model, but could have easily done without it. I had it in most vehicles, but didn't have it in my Tundra and didn't really miss it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I am not a hardcore off-roader for sure. I think about how difficult would it be to add an item later if I don't get it now.

The 8.4" screen is one of my favorite features by far. The subwoofer definitely has some bass.

I partially bought the Jeep I did because of proximity key. I wanted grey which didn't have it, so white it was.

The aux switches are a no-brainer if you add them from the beginning.

It would have been nice to have the package with the outlet in the bed. If custom ordering it wouldn't be a huge add to the vehicle you're proposing.

Also seems it would be to your advantage to add the ArmorLite flooring.

I have leather on my Overland model, but could have easily done without it. I had it in most vehicles, but didn't have it in my Tundra and didn't really miss it.

When you say armorlite flooring are you talking about the slush mats?

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I’d never not get the 8.4” screen. Have it my Challenger, it’s nice.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Just from looking at the Fordyce trail. You're going to need something bigger than 35s maybe I'm wrong. But everything I've seen doing it is way more built. I believe Gaia gps maps is now available on the Android auto too. So that should be a yes to the off-road trails question. I haven't tried it yet. I've got the 7" screen.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
No. 8.4 only. You can still cycle through the information on the gauge cluster though.

The 8.4 also gets you upgraded audio with a subwoofer. I have it and it sounds nice.

I would also get the aux switches.
i can agree here the audio with the 8.4" sounds effin amazing to me atleast,has plenty of bass for my needs,it aint no bass competition truck but its pretty good :D
but thats my 2 cents

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ok so I will def be getting the Aux switches. Is there a big difference between the sound systems? I was planning on just streaming from pandora when not listening to the radio. Im not an audiophile. I am also technology illiterate. If doing it again would you pay for the upgrade again?

Is the perimeter key worth it? I would still have keyfob to lock and unlock.
I stream my music and it sounds great to me. I test drove one with the 7 inch screen and it was night and day difference.

I have the perimeter key and it's worth the convenience. You still need to push a button on the door handle to lock the doors. Wish it was like my Mazda where it locks automatically when you walk away.

To unlock you just grab the handle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I stream my music and it sounds great to me. I test drove one with the 7 inch screen and it was night and day difference.

I have the perimeter key and it's worth the convenience. You still need to push a button on the door handle to lock the doors. Wish it was like my Mazda where it locks automatically when you walk away.

To unlock you just grab the handle.
If i hide the key in the bed or the engine compartment front bumper area will that keep it from working or is it still to close, and I would have to keep it on me when I go near water or hide it somewhere else.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Just from looking at the Fordyce trail. You're going to need something bigger than 35s maybe I'm wrong. But everything I've seen doing it is way more built. I believe Gaia gps maps is now available on the Android auto too. So that should be a yes to the off-road trails question. I haven't tried it yet. I've got the 7" screen.
In my FJ I can do it all almost in 2wd, Fordyce is obviously harder of the two harder than slick rock too. So I kind of want the challenge. Fordyce can be done with 35s. I am looking at upgrading to 37s at some point. I really wish we could get the factory beadlocks with 35s but I really really want the gecko green so I wont be waiting for it. I need to see if I can get a warranty that will accept a 2in mopar lift. Need to ask Daniel to see if he can have it installed at Gupton before I pick it up.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
You can get the alpine system with sub with the 7” screen. I have it. It turns the rear seat into a massage chair when the bass thumps. Only complaint is the sound bar tends to rattle. There’s a fix for it but I’m lazy and maybe I don’t really care.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
You can get the alpine system with sub with the 7” screen. I have it. It turns the rear seat into a massage chair when the bass thumps. Only complaint is the sound bar tends to rattle. There’s a fix for it but I’m lazy and maybe I don’t really care.

I dont think I will be paying for the alpine speakers. But I might do the 8.4 in screen. Its pretty pricey, but we will see what Gupton can do.

Mofo67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
The Mopar 2” lift installed by the dealer will be covered under your factory warranty. Just spoke to my local dealer this week about the same thing.
You might want to consider the front trail cam and Gorilla glass front windshield. The 8.4” with the Alpine is really nice. Not going win any sound competitions but nice for factory. I had the 7” without the Alpine and there is no comparison.
You mentioned wench, so maybe the factory steel bumper?
Sponsored