Sponsored

First new vehicle for me please help me with the options

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If i hide the key in the bed or the engine compartment front bumper area will that keep it from working or is it still to close, and I would have to keep it on me when I go near water or hide it somewhere else.
I just went out and tested. Key only works when close to the doors. It did not work from the front bumper, front tires, or truck bed area. Just a reminder that the truck tailgate locks with the rest of the vehicle so if you put it in the bed with a cover you may be locked out.
Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I stream my music and it sounds great to me. I test drove one with the 7 inch screen and it was night and day difference.

I have the perimeter key and it's worth the convenience. You still need to push a button on the door handle to lock the doors. Wish it was like my Mazda where it locks automatically when you walk away.

To unlock you just grab the handle.
Right, but the key never leaves your pocket or your wife’s purse.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
If i hide the key in the bed or the engine compartment front bumper area will that keep it from working or is it still to close, and I would have to keep it on me when I go near water or hide it somewhere else.
Use a key fob faraday bag or wrap the fob in aluminum foil and the Jeep will not recognize that key anywhere inside or outside of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
The Mopar 2” lift installed by the dealer will be covered under your factory warranty. Just spoke to my local dealer this week about the same thing.
You might want to consider the front trail cam and Gorilla glass front windshield. The 8.4” with the Alpine is really nice. Not going win any sound competitions but nice for factory. I had the 7” without the Alpine and there is no comparison.
You mentioned wench, so maybe the factory steel bumper?
Def getting the glass for 95 bucks its a no brainer. Is the price for the mopar lift the same if you have the dealer install it vs you installing it? Does the warranty go away if you install it yourself? I was thinking about the trail cam it looks cool, but its also another thing to break and when it does it will be expensive to fix. Do warranties cover electronics? Thats what Im really worried about, if the dash goes out or this big 8.4in screen!!!
I was thinking the bumper, but I have a tig machine and I can weld up an aluminum one for cheaper than 800 bucks 900+ when you add in the in winch plate. I might just see if I can pick up a steel rear bumper or maybe build out one of those too.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I just went out and tested. Key only works when close to the doors. It did not work from the front bumper, front tires, or truck bed area. Just a reminder that the truck tailgate locks with the rest of the vehicle so if you put it in the bed with a cover you may be locked out.
Thank you for doing this! Maybe I can hide it in the gas cap or if there is a ledge under the rear bumper i can use some rare earth magnets and stick it there or above the hitch.

Sponsored

Red_5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, GX460, Miata race car
I've never owned a Jeep and have been trying to decide what I want on a Gladiator too. I'll get most of what you've mentioned already. I can't decide between the black or painted hardtops. I'll also get the front camera, I can see it coming in handy especially off-road. Initially I thought I'd get cloth but I've had leather in my cars for years and in the Youtube videos I watch, I see lots of leather seats.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Def getting the glass for 95 bucks its a no brainer. Is the price for the mopar lift the same if you have the dealer install it vs you installing it? Does the warranty go away if you install it yourself? I was thinking about the trail cam it looks cool, but its also another thing to break and when it does it will be expensive to fix. Do warranties cover electronics? Thats what Im really worried about, if the dash goes out or this big 8.4in screen!!!
I was thinking the bumper, but I have a tig machine and I can weld up an aluminum one for cheaper than 800 bucks 900+ when you add in the in winch plate. I might just see if I can pick up a steel rear bumper or maybe build out one of those too.
I have just about every option you mentioned on my Rubicon except for the trail cam and intuitive radar cruise control. There might be something else but I can’t think of what that would be at the moment.

I would recommend everything on your list if you can afford it because adding it later should you decide you want it would be a real PIA. I don’t think you even can add a trail cam. I’ve asked because I want one but they said no.

You can buy the Mopar lift straight from Amazon and have it shipped to your house if you want to. That’s what I did. Yes it is covered as an original Mopar part.

And something else I would recommend that I didn’t see your list is the Rhino Lining for the bed. If you’re using it as a work truck I’d definitely go with that.

I love my leather seat package. I don't think I’d ever go back to cloth because they look so much better and are so much easier to clean; but I understand you have a condition.

I think the sound system is amazing. Again though, not everyone likes music as much as others.

I have 35’s on mine with the two inch Mopar lift and it’s good enough for anything I need to do. I think it’s the way to go because it gives the truck real functionality and looks while maintaining it as close as possible to factory spec. You’re not stressing anything beyond it’s design capabilities, no need to regear or any of that other stuff. You might need the speedometer recalibrated but that’s about it.

I’ve got a pretty heavy duty Rebel Off Road High Rack, and 23 Zero RTT mounted on back. I haven’t noticed any appreciable loss of power or capability. These trucks are pretty damn well designed as is. They are off road beasts. But at the same time loaded with creature comforts so you don’t feel like that’s what you’re driving.

If you’re looking for a versatile, do it all machine, I don’t think you can possibly do better. You‘ll love it. . .

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I have just about every option you mentioned on my Rubicon except for the trail cam and intuitive radar cruise control. There might be something else but I can’t think of what that would be at the moment.

I would recommend everything on your list if you can afford it because adding it later should you decide you want it would be a real PIA. I don’t think you even can add a trail cam. I’ve asked because I want one but they said no.

You can buy the Mopar lift straight from Amazon and have it shipped to your house if you want to. That’s what I did. Yes it is covered as an original Mopar part.

And something else I would recommend that I didn’t see your list is the Rhino Lining for the bed. If you’re using it as a work truck I’d definitely go with that.

I love my leather seat package. I don't think I’d ever go back to cloth because they look so much better and are so much easier to clean; but I understand you have a condition.

I think the sound system is amazing. Again though, not everyone likes music as much as others.

I have 35’s on mine with the two inch Mopar lift and it’s good enough for anything I need to do. I think it’s the way to go because it gives the truck real functionality and looks while maintaining it as close as possible to factory spec. You’re not stressing anything beyond it’s design capabilities, no need to regear or any of that other stuff. You might need the speedometer recalibrated but that’s about it.

I’ve got a pretty heavy duty Rebel Off Road High Rack, and 23 Zero RTT mounted on back. I haven’t noticed any appreciable loss of power or capability. These trucks are pretty damn well designed as is. They are off road beasts. But at the same time loaded with creature comforts so you don’t feel like that’s what you’re driving.

If you’re looking for a versatile, do it all machine, I don’t think you can possibly do better. You‘ll love it. . .
Thanks for all the info!! Maybe I will add the camera. I emailed Daniel to add Proximity, Aux and the 8.4. 600 for a camera is just alot for me. I can choose my lines pretty well, and I doubt that I will use this to do crazy crawls as its just too long. If I sell my FJ then I will probably use it to crawl and I might wish for it then, but for overlanding and camping I dont think I NEED it, maybe want it. But once you drive a vehicle you sort of know where your tire traces are anyway.
I dont really want the active cruise control, I might fall asleep if all I do is look around and or talk with friends instead of paying attention to the road.
I will get leather eventually. I am looking at the katzkins sp? because I want to be able to have the AC seats. Leather is def easier to clean than cloth. I will keep the cloth in the rear and just use a seat cover.
Is there a reason why you went 35s over the 37s? I hear the 35s you can run stock on the rubicon. I will do this unless I can get Gupton to give me a deal on a lift then I will do the 37s. Once I figure out if really slams the belly or not will define whether or not I do the lift and 37s. But if I can get it all financed at once then I wouldnt mind. I figure with a 2in lift and 37s Its about the same height as my f250 stock height with 35s on it. I will never lift a 2500 again because lifting bales of hay over chest height is a young mans game and at 36 Im already feeling it lol.
I cant get the bed spray in liner with a diesel for whatever stupid reason they came up with so I will line x it. Which is nicer since I will probably do clear so I can enjoy the green bed!

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I've never owned a Jeep and have been trying to decide what I want on a Gladiator too. I'll get most of what you've mentioned already. I can't decide between the black or painted hardtops. I'll also get the front camera, I can see it coming in handy especially off-road. Initially I thought I'd get cloth but I've had leather in my cars for years and in the Youtube videos I watch, I see lots of leather seats.
I am deciding to save the money by not getting matching fenders and top because I think it would be too much green and the black will break it up nicely. Also if its like my old jeep I will prob make a set of fenders out of some aluminum sheets so that it doesnt throw sand and mud all over the side of the jeep. My ranch has a lot of thick clay in the winter time. The leather seats are really comfy, Its just after an hour or more my eczema acts up because they dont breath well. Which is unfortunate for me. But I plan to do aftermarket ones when funds increase.

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Welcome and happy for you!

I wouldn't skip on the bigger screen/audio, Aux switches and proximity.

Those things can be done later but will be a PITA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Welcome and happy for you!

I wouldn't skip on the bigger screen/audio, Aux switches and proximity.

Those things can be done later but will be a PITA.
I just looked on the jeep page if I get the 8.4 and the tow. I dont get the zoom feature unless I get the trail cam.... Thats pretty shitty

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A after market Line-X bed liner is a better option than factory aka 3 year warranty vs lifetime and better prep and job. IMHO I've got factory in my JT and Line-X one in my MJ bed the latter was done better and slightly thicker coating.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would reconsider the diesel if you plan to keep it for 18-25 years, any current diesel is extremely complicated with emissions systems that have all types of sensors that will eventually fail and be expensive to fix plus you will have to rely on a Jeep dealer to do it, read a few of the threads in the diesel sub forum where people have had problems and how the good the dealers have dealt with them.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Thanks for all the info!! Maybe I will add the camera. I emailed Daniel to add Proximity, Aux and the 8.4. 600 for a camera is just alot for me. I can choose my lines pretty well, and I doubt that I will use this to do crazy crawls as its just too long. If I sell my FJ then I will probably use it to crawl and I might wish for it then, but for overlanding and camping I dont think I NEED it, maybe want it. But once you drive a vehicle you sort of know where your tire traces are anyway.
I dont really want the active cruise control, I might fall asleep if all I do is look around and or talk with friends instead of paying attention to the road.
I will get leather eventually. I am looking at the katzkins sp? because I want to be able to have the AC seats. Leather is def easier to clean than cloth. I will keep the cloth in the rear and just use a seat cover.
Is there a reason why you went 35s over the 37s? I hear the 35s you can run stock on the rubicon. I will do this unless I can get Gupton to give me a deal on a lift then I will do the 37s. Once I figure out if really slams the belly or not will define whether or not I do the lift and 37s. But if I can get it all financed at once then I wouldnt mind. I figure with a 2in lift and 37s Its about the same height as my f250 stock height with 35s on it. I will never lift a 2500 again because lifting bales of hay over chest height is a young mans game and at 36 Im already feeling it lol.
I cant get the bed spray in liner with a diesel for whatever stupid reason they came up with so I will line x it. Which is nicer since I will probably do clear so I can enjoy the green bed!
Like I said, 35’s are almost as good as 37’s off road but they don’t require as much drama and are better on pavement. The truck is designed to handle them as is. Just need a simple reflash for the speedometer.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I would reconsider the diesel if you plan to keep it for 18-25 years, any current diesel is extremely complicated with emissions systems that have all types of sensors that will eventually fail and be expensive to fix plus you will have to rely on a Jeep dealer to do it, read a few of the threads in the diesel sub forum where people have had problems and how the good the dealers have dealt with them.
I love my truck but the one thing I really dislike is the dealer/service network. Let’s just say so far it’s been less than stellar….
Sponsored