Sponsored

Floor mats, don't bother to read unless you want to laugh at my idiocy.

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

This thread starts out with a rant by me but turns out to be a joke and the JOKE is on me because I was to darn dumb to figure out which side of the Jeep the front floor mats fit. So read it if your bored and have nothing else to do.

Dave

So I want some good all weather floor mats, I go to Amazon and order these floor mats.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CMV8WWN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Reading the description is says OEM, well when they showed up in an opened, damaged package left by my garage not the front porch, I took them out and tried to install them. Took the stock removable small carpet mats out, went to install the new mats and the location studs in the floor of the Jeep and the holes in the mats that are supposed to fit over those studs are about three inches off and there is no hole in the floor for the mat drain to fit into.

And the return policy with Amazon it horrible, they want me to drive 30 miles one way to take these things to a UPS drop station to be returned before I can get a refund. Now if the drop station were next door rather then 30 miles away round trip 60 miles, if gas weren't darn near 6 bucks a gallon and if my time meant nothing this would be wonderful as it is it kinda sucks. Rant over what kind of floor mats have you folks used, where did you buy them, what brand are they? Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I always use the MOPAR slush mats. We've always ordered them for my wife's Jeeps and ordered them with both Gladiators I've ordered. Fit is perfect, they do the job, no hassle, the drain holes line up, they don't move around. And they were installed by the dealer as part of the prep. I did have to remove the cutout in the front carpet, remove the plug, put the mat nipple down through the floor hole and put the plug up in the mat (which I see some of the buyers on amazon don't understand)

Those on Amazon do look like the genuine MOPAR parts - but are they for GLADIATOR?
The proper MOPAR slush mats fit perfectly.

Jeep Gladiator Floor mats, don't bother to read unless you want to laugh at my idiocy. 20210210_122439

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I always use the MOPAR slush mats. We've always ordered them for my wife's Jeeps and ordered them with both Gladiators I've ordered. Fit is perfect, they do the job, no hassle, the drain holes line up, they don't move around. And they were installed by the dealer as part of the prep. I did have to remove the cutout in the front carpet, remove the plug, put the mat nipple down through the floor hold and put the plug up in the mat (which I see some of the buyers on amazon don't understand)

Those on Amazon do look like the genuine MOPAR parts - but are they for GLADIATOR?
The proper MOPAR slush mats fit perfectly.

Jeep Gladiator Floor mats, don't bother to read unless you want to laugh at my idiocy. 20210210_122439
Howdy Bill,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I guess I'll have to go to the dealer and get the mats, the day I bought the Jeep I tried to buy the mats from the dealer but they wouldn't give me the 15% discount I could have gotten from the Jeep website that they hooked me up with when I bought the Jeep. In order to get the 15% discount I had to order them on line and pay shipping, with the cost of shipping there was no cost savings so I "thought" I was ordering the "same thing" from Amazon, that did not turn out to be true.

Can you give some details on finding and putting this drain hole in the floor, I am "assuming" there is a knock out plug in the sheet metal of the floor, did you take the knock out plug out and then use the resulting hole as a guide to cut the floor carpet? Don't really care to put a hole in the floor, maybe just sand the protruding part of the drain off from the back side of the mat. Any enlightenment will be most appreciated, thanks.

Dave

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
? Don't really care to put a hole in the floor, maybe just sand the protruding part of the drain off from the back side of the mat. Any enlightenment will be most appreciated, thanks.

Dave
The hole is already there in the carpet. Just need to push the rest of it out with your finger, and take out the drain plug from the floor pan (which you'll see once you push out the hole in the carpet) and put it in the mat. Then put the mat drain in the hole, and put the drain plug in the mat.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy Bill,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I guess I'll have to go to the dealer and get the mats, the day I bought the Jeep I tried to buy the mats from the dealer but they wouldn't give me the 15% discount I could have gotten from the Jeep website that they hooked me up with when I bought the Jeep. In order to get the 15% discount I had to order them on line and pay shipping, with the cost of shipping there was no cost savings so I "thought" I was ordering the "same thing" from Amazon, that did not turn out to be true.

Can you give some details on finding and putting this drain hole in the floor, I am "assuming" there is a knock out plug in the sheet metal of the floor, did you take the knock out plug out and then use the resulting hole as a guide to cut the floor carpet? Don't really care to put a hole in the floor, maybe just sand the protruding part of the drain off from the back side of the mat. Any enlightenment will be most appreciated, thanks.

Dave
There is a part of the carpet that is cut partially through. You can usually remove it with fingers. Mine each had one spot I decided to cut with a sharp knife rather than pull - it was cut but not 100% around, like their cutter was tipped. Most just push out because they are precut most of the way through.
Remove the plugs from the floor under the carpet, put the nipples of the mats down through the floor hole and carpet hole, and use the floor plug in the mat.
(tip - a bit of soap or even saliva, on the part of the mat that goes through the hole in the floor makes it easier to get all the way down and snapped into place in the floor pan)

I don't get people on Amazon saying they have to buy the plugs separately for another 10 bucks. The plug is already in the hole in the metal floor. Reach through the carpet hole and grab it.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You already have drain holes in your floor. All Jeeps do. It's filled with a removable rubber plug. I guess that's not common knowledge based on the reviews on Amazon. I saw that too @ShadowsPapa haha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You already have drain holes in your floor. All Jeeps do. It's filled with a removable rubber plug. I guess that's not common knowledge based on the reviews on Amazon. I saw that too @ShadowsPapa haha.
You saw my slush mat photo - that's calcium chloride or whatever metal salts any part of Iowa decides to soak our roads with. Nice that you can pull that plug, hose that mat down while still in the truck and let it drain out the bottom and put the plug back in the mat.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
The hole is already there in the carpet. Just need to push the rest of it out with your finger, and take out the drain plug from the floor pan (which you'll see once you push out the hole in the carpet) and put it in the mat. Then put the mat drain in th hole, and put the drain plug in the mat.
[/QUOTE]
Howdy Chad,

OK, I just got back from the Jeep, I removed the little carpet mat and felt around on the floor and DID find a partial hole in the carpet that is directly above what appears to be a knock out plug. I can now see that with a bit of care that hole in the carpet can be enlarged.

So do you make the hole in the carpet the proper size and then push the drain plug out from the top or do you have to go under the Jeep and work it out from the bottom. I can't see the plug from underneath but I can barely feel it. Please bear with me folks, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Dave

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Howdy Chad,

OK, I just got back from the Jeep, I removed the little carpet mat and felt around on the floor and DID find a partial hole in the carpet that is directly above what appears to be a knock out plug. I can now see that with a bit of care that hole in the carpet can be enlarged.

So do you make the hole in the carpet the proper size and then push the drain plug out from the top or do you have to go under the Jeep and work it out from the bottom. I can't see the plug from underneath but I can barely feel it. Please bear with me folks, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Dave
You should be able to push the hole out with your fingers, if not you might need to cut it out with scissors, but it's already the right size (unless they cut yours wrong). Then you can pull the rubber plug out with your hand from inside the Jeep.

EddyArnold

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD | 88 300zx | 97 XJ
Occupation
TheCyber

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Love my WeatherTech mats but they'll probably be replaced with Armorlite flooring. As good as the coverage is, I still find all sorts of stuff that worked its way around the edges.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
You should be able to push the hole out with your fingers, if not you might need to cut it out with scissors, but it's already the right size (unless they cut yours wrong). Then you can pull the rubber plug out with your hand from inside the Jeep.
Howdy Chad,

Thanks for that information, it is most helpful. Trying to read and respond it's easy to be typing a question when someone has already posted the answer. Thanks to all for putting up with my computer and online expertise, That's a JOKE Son just a JOKE. ;)

Dave

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

KohalaHutch

First Name
Hutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangler: MW3 Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
The hole is already there in the carpet. Just need to push the rest of it out with your finger, and take out the drain plug from the floor pan (which you'll see once you push out the hole in the carpet) and put it in the mat. Then put the mat drain in the hole, and put the drain plug in the mat.
Thanks for this tip! I had left the plug underneath the mat but this makes a lot more sense.
Sponsored