First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
I have seen lots of rear seat delete options, However I am looking at doing something similar to the fold flat flooring option available on the Ram trucks. I want to keep the rear seats installed and just flip them up and add an insert to make the entire rear floor flat. I know I can fabricate something but curious if anyone has seen a good removable option?

JJ
Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

I made a simple "package platform" out of plywood. I already had the locking factory under seat storage.

Jeep Gladiator Flooring insert? IMG_1132

I used 2 Rubbermaid Roughneck 3 gallon black storage totes for the front support that I ordered from here:

https://www.doitbest.com/shop/stora...roughneck-3-gal-black-storage-tote?SKU=608254

You can go larger, but I wanted them small enough that I can easily move them if I was going to have rear seat passengers. Plus, they are just to hold tie-downs and an air compressor, etc. My main objective was creating a "flat floor", not so much the extra storage (although there is also space next to the totes on the floor that you could put stuff).

The plywood I cut down to 2' x4' and then made a small cutout on the front edge so I can still use the rear cupholders as I often throw a spray can or spray sanitizer in them. So, I didn't want to block the holders. I covered it in some old auto carpet I had laying around.

I did later add two small lengths of a 2"x3" (maybe 12" long each) that I screwed to the underside of the platform where it sits at the Rubbermaid totes (so the boards rest on the tote lids). I realized that the rear OEM storage box lid goes up at an angle, so the platform would rock some. So I attached the pieces of 2"x3" to stop the rock. I originally just put two rolled up towels on top of the totes that did the same thing -if you don't want to bother with the 2"x3" boards. Its easy to see what I mean about the rocking the first time you trial fit the plywood.

I've since moved this set-up to my Rubi that has just the under seat storage bin (non-locking).

OP
OP
AwesomeDad

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

I made a simple "package platform" out of plywood. I already had the locking factory under seat storage.

Jeep Gladiator Flooring insert? IMG_1132

I used 2 Rubbermaid Roughneck 3 gallon black storage totes for the front support that I ordered from here:

https://www.doitbest.com/shop/stora...roughneck-3-gal-black-storage-tote?SKU=608254

You can go larger, but I wanted them small enough that I can easily move them if I was going to have rear seat passengers. Plus, they are just to hold tie-downs and an air compressor, etc. My main objective was creating a "flat floor", not so much the extra storage (although there is also space next to the totes on the floor that you could put stuff).

The plywood I cut down to 2' x4' and then made a small cutout on the front edge so I can still use the rear cupholders as I often throw a spray can or spray sanitizer in them. So, I didn't want to block the holders. I covered it in some old auto carpet I had laying around.

I did later add two small lengths of a 2"x3" (maybe 12" long each) that I screwed to the underside of the platform where it sits at the Rubbermaid totes (so the boards rest on the tote lids). I realized that the rear OEM storage box lid goes up at an angle, so the platform would rock some. So I attached the pieces of 2"x3" to stop the rock. I originally just put two rolled up towels on top of the totes that did the same thing -if you don't want to bother with the 2"x3" boards. Its easy to see what I mean about the rocking the first time you trial fit the plywood.

I've since moved this set-up to my Rubi that has just the under seat storage bin (non-locking).
Thats pretty close, I may fool around with a few things ultimately if able Id like a hinged piece that stays under the seats and flips forward when needed I dont know that space will allow this. I have reached out to a couple companies to see if they may have a more finished looking option....

JJ

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Thats pretty close, I may fool around with a few things ultimately if able Id like a hinged piece that stays under the seats and flips forward when needed I dont know that space will allow this. I have reached out to a couple companies to see if they may have a more finished looking option....

JJ
I was just looking for something quick and easy. I had the plywood, carpet and containers laying around (I had blue containers that I later swapped for black).

Anyway, it takes 30 seconds to pull it out and throw in the bed. Another 30 seconds to move the containers to the bed or just one side (if only putting one side of seat down.) I've had it in place between the two trucks for 1 1/2 years. I love being able to just throw crap in the back on a deck. It's especially handy at the grocery store.

If you do find a company making a more refined solution, please update us.

OP
OP
AwesomeDad

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
I was just looking for something quick and easy. I had the plywood, carpet and containers laying around (I had blue containers that I later swapped for black).

Anyway, it takes 30 seconds to pull it out and throw in the bed. Another 30 seconds to move the containers to the bed or just one side (if only putting one side of seat down.) I've had it in place between the two trucks for 1 1/2 years. I love being able to just throw crap in the back on a deck. It's especially handy at the grocery store.

If you do find a company making a more refined solution, please update us.
hey I sure will, we travel with kids and dogs not always at the same time so we need flexible....

JJ

Sponsored

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
i actually took out the folding platform out of my Ram before i sold it and hopefully going to mod it to fit and fold under the rear seats this summer. If it works out ill post it...

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
Reviving this old thread wondering if there have been any new ideas over the past year. This set up is very nice but I was hoping to find or come up with something that would store under the seat or behind it. I like to keep the bed free to be used for truck stuff. The seat, when down, has maybe 1/16" between it and the locking under seat storage, which seems to eliminate the easy solutions for storing it under the seat. Something that tri-folds or quad-folds and is two pieces (one for drivers side, one for passenger) might store further back under the seats or behind the seats. If I come up with anything I'll post it. If anyone has already come up with something I would love to see it.
Sponsored