Sponsored

Four Wheel Camper - "Project M"

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone seen this yet?

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

They have a model for a 5' bed; pop-up top to provide 6.5' of headroom, cab-over bed and only 400 lbs. Empty shell so you can finish however you want, and starts at < $9k.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 12.15.14 PM.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
jurfie

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Good Company & their Full Featured slide-in units are nice, if you have the need, but I don't care to put ~500 LBS. sitting on my truck bed Rails - as is the case with most of these "Canopy style campers" ! Only one I've found so far that is a bit different is the Canopy Camper by Alu-Cab . I also don't care for the roof pop up to be level (snow load, falling branches . . . ?) - the Clam Shell has advantages I prefer, though the lack of a window on all 4 sides could bother some !?

OP
OP
jurfie

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good Company & their Full Featured slide-in units are nice, if you have the need, but I don't care to put ~500 LBS. sitting on my truck bed Rails - as is the case with most of these "Canopy style campers" ! Only one I've found so far that is a bit different is the Canopy Camper by Alu-Cab . I also don't care for the roof pop up to be level (snow load, falling branches . . . ?) - the Clam Shell has advantages I prefer, though the lack of a window on all 4 sides could bother some !?
400 lbs to be exact. Why does that weight on top of the bed rails concern you? Honest question, as my previous experience is Jeeps, not trucks.

I actually prefer the level top over the clamshell type as I find those to be a bit claustrophobic. Plus I'm tall, so the space is nice. I also like that the interior is completely unfinished, so I could build exactly what I want inside and finish it how I'd like.

I've seen the other options out there, but so far this one seems to suit my needs the best.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
400 lbs to be exact. Why does that weight on top of the bed rails concern you? Honest question, as my previous experience is Jeeps, not trucks.

I actually prefer the level top over the clamshell type as I find those to be a bit claustrophobic. Plus I'm tall, so the space is nice. I also like that the interior is completely unfinished, so I could build exactly what I want inside and finish it how I'd like.

I've seen the other options out there, but so far this one seems to suit my needs the best.
Then I say . . . WE HAVE A WINNER ! You know one of the "other things" people say ? 'One woman's farts are an-others perfume' ! ? .

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Many lightweight camper shells or tents often lack one important feature: insulation. For summer, one layer of fabric between us and the outdoors may be fine but it can feel a bit naked and downright cold when camping overnight in spring or fall, especially here in the northeast.

I'd love to see a rigid, insulated shell that provides, at a minimum, one 6 ft bunk and one seat at a small table, and storage area for some basics (without having to go back inside the cab). This may be a tall order for a light duty truck with a short bed, and the only solution may be a custom/DIY build. Even then, weights add up fast when building even the simplest structure.

I slept one night in a makeshift platform on top of reclined seats inside a 2 door JK. It's not what I would describe as pleasant, and how it passed the claustrophobia test is something I still haven't figured out.

OP
OP
jurfie

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FWC box is insulated, and there is a thermal layer option for the canvas.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Many lightweight camper shells or tents often lack one important feature: insulation. For summer, one layer of fabric between us and the outdoors may be fine but it can feel a bit naked and downright cold when camping overnight in spring or fall, especially here in the northeast.

I'd love to see a rigid, insulated shell that provides, at a minimum, one 6 ft bunk and one seat at a small table, and storage area for some basics (without having to go back inside the cab). This may be a tall order for a light duty truck with a short bed, and the only solution may be a custom/DIY build. Even then, weights add up fast when building even the simplest structure.

I slept one night in a makeshift platform on top of reclined seats inside a 2 door JK. It's not what I would describe as pleasant, and how it passed the claustrophobia test is something I still haven't figured out.
Yes to that, I feel your pain . This GLAD-Box is so small . . . which is my main reason for leaning with the Canopy Camper style -- sleep up top & Hang Out below . . . lots of folding camping chairs out there and same for folding tables that would work quite well in this "Tiny House" on wheels ! It is nice though to have so many options & yet we sometimes still feel neglected by the manufacturers, bugging them as to why they can't do this or that . . .
A.R.B. and I suspect another, have their awnings which easily convert into a nice sized add-on room as well for when the kids come along, or . . .

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Yes to that, I feel your pain . This GLAD-Box is so small . . . which is my main reason for leaning with the Canopy Camper style -- sleep up top & Hang Out below
I agree this is a good layout - sleeping up top, partially over the cab, as long as it's not too claustrophobic. Kind of like a loft. No need for sleeping section to eat into the living area. Even with a 5 foot bed, I'm optimistic. There's a creative camping solution out there somewhere, even if it's a DIY solution.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree this is a good layout - sleeping up top, partially over the cab, as long as it's not too claustrophobic. Kind of like a loft. No need for sleeping section to eat into the living area. Even with a 5 foot bed, I'm optimistic. There's a creative camping solution out there somewhere, even if it's a DIY solution.
ASBOLUTELY ! . . . but if I may toss in some ever changing (in my thoughts) ideas (some would refer to as gibberish) -- I'm giving new consideration to the RSI SmartCap and putting on & taking off of a tent like the FreeSpirit fully automatic in size 49". Would be a real pain in the arse, but I could "pester" the maintenance guys at the Apt. to help with that !?
I'm re-liking the RSI SmartCap - it has 2 different models, I'm preferring the Commercial one as of now, AND they also have Full Size truck models - incase I decide to get a RAM 1500 Quad w/6'4" bed (V6 w/eTorque). Hopefully they do the RAM DT . . . have not inquired yet, but they have plans for the Gladiator .

Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Bumping this thread. Looking at one from the Vancouver Canada dealer. Possibly sell the trailer for a single built lightweight expedition rig. Very cool design and easy to store in my garage if needed. Emailed 4wc

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Haitus campers

Might fit the bill. It does mine. Insulated, straight pop up. Build the rest yourself. 450lbs. A little pricey at 14-15k but I'm thinking I want one.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Bumping this thread. Looking at one from the Vancouver Canada dealer. Possibly sell the trailer for a single built lightweight expedition rig. Very cool design and easy to store in my garage if needed. Emailed 4wc
Link or YouTube video?

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Never mind. Specifically states will not fit Gladiator on the website. Damn.

Looks like a Harker Outdoors order

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Never mind. Specifically states will not fit Gladiator on the website. Damn.

Looks like a Harker Outdoors order
Less expensive than the Haitus camper. Also a shorter lead time.
Sponsored