First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wj 2020 jt rubicon 1998 zj 5.9
Occupation
Business owner
Hello just had to say we had had our gladiator for a month, been averaging 18.5 .
But hooked my little 5x8 enclosed trailer to it. And the gladiator does not like pulling that it held 14.5 over 170 miles pretty flat. From Pennsylvania to Jersey shore and back.
My wj 4.0 does 13.4 with same trailer but only jumps to 15.8 no trailer. Only can think the air drops down and slams directly into it but the wj stays higher. The speed was 58mph majority of the way but noticed at that speed it would stay in 7th or 6th gear. The Jeep pulled nice and straight and easily but surprised at big drop off in fuel mileag.
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Yup. If you’re mostly driving around town and/or do a lot of towing, it’s the wrong vehicle for anyone that’s overly concerned about fuel economy.

I can’t take a ~5 mile run across town (20+ min of engine run time) without the fuel gauge moving. 🤣 It’s really not bad if you can get out on the highway and set the cruise control at a reasonable speed though (minus a trailer, of course, lol).

This is one of my favorite topics though. Kudos for mixing it up and having it trailering related, rather that the usual. I.e. “I installed 37’s and 4” of lift…why does my fuel economy suck?”🤡

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Yup. If you’re mostly driving around town and/or do a lot of towing, it’s the wrong vehicle for anyone that’s overly concerned about fuel economy.

I can’t take a ~5 mile run across town (20+ min of engine run time) without the fuel gauge moving. 🤣 It’s really not bad if you can get out on the highway and set the cruise control at a reasonable speed though (minus a trailer, of course, lol).

This is one of my favorite topics though. Kudos for mixing it up and having it trailering related, rather that the usual. I.e. “I installed 37’s and 4” of lift…why does my fuel economy suck?”🤡
He's gotta go down more hills.

OP
OP
Hhjester

Hhjester

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business owner
All down hill would be great

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Haters :)

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
My in town mpg is better than hwy. I can average 25-26 around town. Hwy is 22 if i cruise at 70. 18 if i cruise at 82​

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
The 3.6 is not ideal for towing in any of the platforms its in. The horsepower curve jist doesn't suit it well

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hello just had to say we had had our gladiator for a month, been averaging 18.5 .
But hooked my little 5x8 enclosed trailer to it. And the gladiator does not like pulling that it held 14.5 over 170 miles pretty flat. From Pennsylvania to Jersey shore and back.
My wj 4.0 does 13.4 with same trailer but only jumps to 15.8 no trailer. Only can think the air drops down and slams directly into it but the wj stays higher. The speed was 58mph majority of the way but noticed at that speed it would stay in 7th or 6th gear. The Jeep pulled nice and straight and easily but surprised at big drop off in fuel mileag.
Why do you think that's bad mpg towing? It's not at all.
You have a Rubicon - they aren't made for mpg to begin with, but towing a brick with a brick and getting 14.5 isn't bad, IMO.
I got less with my other trucks.
I get 13.9 with my Overland towing a 5,000 pound car hauler with car.
IMO, you are right in the ball park, especially with the heavier Rubicon.

The 3.6 is not ideal for towing in any of the platforms its in. The horsepower curve jist doesn't suit it well
I disagree. My Overland does better than my LS-equipped Silverado did as far as MPG - and RPM, actually. The LS had to drop a couple of gears and wind up over 4,000 rpm, often around 5,000 RPM to tow. My JT doesn't do it nearly as bad.
It tows just fine.
But anyone thinking they are going to tow with a heavy Gladiator and get 20 mpg - needs to re-evaluate towing science and physics.
Wind drag, weight and rolling resistance of the tires and more............

OP
OP
Hhjester

Hhjester

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business owner
You have a Rubicon - they aren't made for mpg to begin with, but towing a brick with a brick and getting 14.5 isn't bad, IMO.

I disagree. My Overland does better than my LS-equipped Silverado did as far as MPG - and RPM, actually. The LS had to drop a couple of gears and wind up over 4,000 rpm, often around 5,000 RPM to tow. My JT doesn't do it nearly as bad.
It tows just fine.
But anyone thinking they are going to tow with a heavy Gladiator and get 20 mpg - needs to re-evaluate towing science and physics.

Don’t think it is bad just comparing to my wj with 182k and surprised at difference with drop off between the two. And have found cruisin above 60 something the mpg drop also. It is a Jeep not so aerodynami.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech

It tows just fine.
Thats actually fair. We had an 05 silverado, heavy half ton, and simply towing a single axle motorcycle trailer destroyed fuel economy and it struggled up hills in colorado. No trailer, smooth sailing all day
Sponsored