• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Gladiator hitch-bumper combo?

tocuyo

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Hello y'all

Rookie member here with a question. I have a 2021 JT that i want to replace the rear bumper plus add a hitch. However i don't know if i should buy one of those bumpers with the hitch already welded into it.... or to buy them separately? what are the pros and cons?

Thanks, Andy
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Even though I will be getting a rear bumper with the hitch receiver welded in, I recommend a separate frame mounted receiver.

The bumper receivers are not rated, whereas the frame mounted receivers are rated and the rating is stamped on it.

There are a lot of "if's and's and but's" to the bumper mounted receivers, but in the end they have not been tested and certified.

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
To piggy back on this and probably a silly question....I have a mojave on order. With stock height can I use the same hitch insert I pulled from my f150 or does the mojave height require one of the styles that zig zag down. Saw a wrangler with that yesterday and it got me thinking

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Even though I will be getting a rear bumper with the hitch receiver welded in, I recommend a separate frame mounted receiver.

The bumper receivers are not rated, whereas the frame mounted receivers are rated and the rating is stamped on it.

There are a lot of "if's and's and but's" to the bumper mounted receivers, but in the end they have not been tested and certified.
Hmmm. I ordered the Curt 13434, which clearly states that is a Class 3 hitch.

CURT 13434 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver, Select Jeep Gladiator JT Pickup Truck

• DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 500 lbs. tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
  • VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
  • FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
As far as certifications, manufacturers self certify to SAE Standards. That is to say, there is no governing body overseeing the accuracy of the manufacturer's statements.

That said, no matter the hitch rating, the actual weight and towing limits are limited to the weakest link. On page 216 of the manual, it is stated that "When using a bumper mounted ball the trailer weight is limited to 3500 lbs and 350 lb tongue weight." This would hold true for any hitch mounted to the bumper.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
To piggy back on this and probably a silly question....I have a mojave on order. With stock height can I use the same hitch insert I pulled from my f150 or does the mojave height require one of the styles that zig zag down. Saw a wrangler with that yesterday and it got me thinking
It will depend on if the measurement from the ground to your hitch is the same or different and the angle it will put your trailer and whether that is acceptable to you.

OP
OP

tocuyo

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Alright!! Any suggestions for a class 4 receiver ( Brand )?
Sponsored