First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
If anyone wants to put together a group run, or just wants someone to go with, I'm down. This trail is on my bucket list.
Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
This movie overlaps the first one I posted just a little. It focuses on the steps above the cliff.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I love this ride! I did black bear pass in the summer. Such a rush.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I'm planning on making the trip from TX to do this trail in June. I'll have a RTT mounted on a mid-height bedrack, so that'll probably make it even more sketchy 😳

Reactions: Len

Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm planning on making the trip from TX to do this trail in June. I'll have a RTT mounted on a mid-height bedrack, so that'll probably make it even more sketchy 😳
Just make sure you bring another rider along with you. There are a few areas where you will need another person to spot you.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
The only spot it might make you a bit uncomfortable is approaching the steps where all the Toyotas flop. Shouldn't be an issue. Just watch a few vids on that spot and always remember not to hit the brakes hard when tilted. Just roll through it and you will have no issues.

I just hit well over 25 degrees of roll with a RTT and other weight up high with no probs.

Newlife

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
This may be a stupid question but I’m gonna go for it. Would this be a sway bar disconnect situation where it would make the off camber a little less sketchy or would it be better to keep the sway bars on? I’ve never had sway bar disconnects (thanks Toyota) so something I’m trying to learn when hitting high technical trails like these.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a stupid question but I’m gonna go for it. Would this be a sway bar disconnect situation where it would make the off camber a little less sketchy or would it be better to keep the sway bars on? I’ve never had sway bar disconnects (thanks Toyota) so something I’m trying to learn when hitting high technical trails like these.
I believe that it is very situational, but generally it's better to have the sway bar disconnected. I would rather keep my tires on the ground. You may get a bit more body roll, but that is better than having the whole thing tip at once because a tire isn't on the ground.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When I did this pass I absolutely had my sway bar disconnect engaged. I was riding with a buddy that was in a Toyota Tacoma with a very nice 3.5” lift and a RTT. I was really impressed with his build and he was able to get through with no issues. I personally would like to have the option and I think you are more stable with your sway bar disconnected. I always say, if you have the tools, then use them…. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I’d love to do this for the view. But those turns and all the roll off stories just have me :lipssealed:

appreciate you sharing. The first one gave me some confidence. The second one took that away
Forgive me for bumping an old thread - but wanted to come back to this. Near a year later and I DID BLACK BEAR! Just this past week.

Was quite a rush and I am not sure I'd like to do it again but allow me to brag that I overcame the nerves. personally, the off camber and steps were much worse than the switchbacks. I had zero issue at all getting around the turns.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on a tight Black Bear Pass switchback. Drone footage. Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 1.42.13 PM

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Good to know....that's about the end of my comfort zone....:whew:

The only spot it might make you a bit uncomfortable is approaching the steps where all the Toyotas flop. Shouldn't be an issue. Just watch a few vids on that spot and always remember not to hit the brakes hard when tilted. Just roll through it and you will have no issues.

I just hit well over 25 degrees of roll with a RTT and other weight up high with no probs.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Forgive me for bumping an old thread - but wanted to come back to this. Near a year later and I DID BLACK BEAR! Just this past week.

Was quite a rush and I am not sure I'd like to do it again but allow me to brag that I overcame the nerves. personally, the off camber and steps were much worse than the switchbacks. I had zero issue at all getting around the turns.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on a tight Black Bear Pass switchback. Drone footage. Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 1.42.13 PM
This is what I think of it as well. The steps are the worst part!
Sponsored

Reactions: Len