First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How are the steps activated when the doors are off?

Tan looks great with SG.
There's a kill switch installed next to the OBD port which kills power to the steps. Sadly that does mean the steps aren't active when the doors are off.

It also means that the 1st time I took the door off, I did not toggle the kill switch first, which meant I had to put the door back on, wait for the step to retract, toggle the kill switch, then remove the door again.

I bet if I searched around on the internet a bit, I'd find some entrepreneur who makes some plugs that would fake the door sensors... but unless you have something (like powered steps) that is triggered by the door sensor it would be a niche market.
Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
There's a kill switch installed next to the OBD port which kills power to the steps. Sadly that does mean the steps aren't active when the doors are off.

It also means that the 1st time I took the door off, I did not toggle the kill switch first, which meant I had to put the door back on, wait for the step to retract, toggle the kill switch, then remove the door again.

I bet if I searched around on the internet a bit, I'd find some entrepreneur who makes some plugs that would fake the door sensors... but unless you have something (like powered steps) that is triggered by the door sensor it would be a niche market.
https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-door-delete-kit/

$40 kit designed exactly for that. I went to find their diagram to see they wired in but it’s a harness. Either way nothing a little 12V coil ice cube relay, a switch and a 12V source couldn’t solve. Tap the power and wire it NC through the relay so it works as designed. Run 12V to a switch and off the switch to the coil of the relay, run a wire NO to the power for the steps. In summer just turn the coil on when the doors are off, leave it off when they’re on. Simple.

OP
OP
OregonGladiator
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How are the steps activated when the doors are off?
There's a kill switch that's installed right next to the OBD sensor under the dash, which kills power to the sliders. You kill power while inside the JT, then they won't activate when you take the doors off.

Just ensure you kill power to the sliders before you take a door off. Ask me how I know that. Also, they didn't even tell me they installed the kill switch. Ask me how I figured out there was a kill switch and where they put it. ha.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Mind the messy garage, but I got some interior pics today

1622266289087.png

1622266325900.png

1622266422273.png

1622266482754.png
I have to say....I really am digging the coat hooks.

Just added to the "other $hit to git" list.
Sponsored