Gladiator Tent

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Hi everyone. My 4 year old son and I are going to start camping a little, and I’d like to utilize a truck bed tent. I see a few out there, but would like the communities input on what they use. I have a MOPAR rolling tonneau that I don’t see getting in the way, but would love all input.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The roll-up MOPAR cover comes off on about 3 minutes with the right socket. 2 bolts and it lifts right off once rolled up.
You can see the tonneau cover on the front of my car hauler by the red chair in the first pic.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20210910_191133_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220909_205404_HDR

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
The roll-up MOPAR cover comes off on about 3 minutes with the right socket. 2 bolts and it lifts right off once rolled up.
You can see the tonneau cover on the front of my car hauler by the red chair in the first pic.

Thanks Shadows. That Rightline tent is one I’m interested in. Which model do you have, and how do you like it?

I won’t be traveling with a trailer so would rather leave my tonneau on and rolled up. Do you think it would work?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had that tent on with the tonneau cover rolled up - and it's worth 2 bolts and lifting it off (it's not that heavy) The tent fits, but it's a pain and takes more time than removing the cover and putting it under the truck. I only laid it on the trailer while setting things up.

The tent is fine - pretty easy to work with and I like the fact it does not have a bottom so if I wanted I could leave my clothes and stuff in the back of the truck while setting up the tent. It's a snug fit around the tail lights but works, I used it twice at car shows and races and swap meets over by the Mississippi and never had bugs in the tent.

IMO - roll up the tonneau cover, unbolt it, stash it under the truck and set the tent up.
In this picture, the first time I set the tent up to check things out, I left the tonneau cover rolled up and put the tent over it.. Tight fit - too tight, IMO. Never set it up that way again.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20210908_101112_HDR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5CQ4FO

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The problem for me is - I need the back of my truck for stuff when I'm not sleeping in it. I need something I can set up and take down quickly and when it's down, can be stowed anywhere there's a few inches of space.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
We have the Napier truck tent.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent image

I wanted one with a floor to avoid the creepy crawlies, this was in the bathroom at one spot we camped at.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220702_081246
Plus I don't have to worry about a dirty/dusty bed.

Tent...
Napier Backroadz Truck Tent https://a.co/d/fkOPVem

Air Mattress...
Intex Dura Beam Standard Pillow Rest Classic Airbed with Internal Pump, Full https://a.co/d/1oifhOH

The pump for the air mattress will run off of the 120v in the back of the Gladiator's center console. Just need an extension cord so you can fill it while it's already in the tent. Works slick.

Max-t

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
Occupation
Retired
How do y’all deal with all the stuff you’d normally have in the bed on a trip? Just chuck it all in the cab?

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
My setup is the Rightline Truck Bed Tent and the Bakflip Revolver X4s Hard Rollup tonneau cover and they're compatible, just watch your head when you sit up. A soft rollup shouldn't be an issue at all. A BedRug is a nice have too, extra padding in the bed for crawling in/out or around. Simplistic setup that is reasonably inexpensive to find out if you and your son will enjoy the whole camping thing.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
How do y’all deal with all the stuff you’d normally have in the bed on a trip? Just chuck it all in the cab?
The HUSKY weather and dust proof containers from Home Depot, they're the right height to fit under the bed cover and stackable too, they'll fit in the cab in needed, but can be left out under the tailgate.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have dust-proofed the bed of my truck. I've plugged the side holes and added a tailgate seal. That also keeps snow out of the tailgate area in the winter.
So I don't have dust issues back there. It also doesn't leak - the MOPAR rollup doesn't leak. I've had two JT Overlands now with it and no water in the bed.
Yes, I use it as a truck, but I sweep it out before going to events where I'll camp and wash down the back end. Otherwise, a $10 cheap tarp from Menards or Walmart thrown on the bottom of the bed, then an old blanket my wife has thrown out goes on that, then the mattress, etc.
I can leave my duffle bag and stuff in the back when setting up the tent, otherwise stuff goes in the cab or like already said, I've got tubs and buckets that seal so they can sit next to or under the truck and no worries if it does rain.

I typically camp less than 1 mile away from the big river at our AMC race/show/swap events. The hotels in the area are covered with bugs, mayflies and other stuff and they are out there in the area of the track because it's in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees and grass. Never had so much as a fly in the back. No bites, no nothing. (if one is worried, you can always take a spray bottle of bug stuff along and spray around the truck late in the day)

Not that I would never ever change my mind - it's always possible - but I've had no problems for the last couple of years and no bottom makes it a breeze, takes little space (it's really light and compact when packed away in it's storage duffle)
There's other nice tents out there, some prefer the bottom, some don't. I like no bottom as I don't have to empty my truck bed.
Yes, you can leave the tonneau on, but when two bolts and 3 minutes remove it, why?
It just makes the fit tighter, doesn't seal as well around the sides of the bed and takes up space in the truck bed. If 2 bolts and 3 minutes is too much work............
But like I showed - it CAN be left on if it's too much bother to take out 2 bolts ;-)
I'm 66 with a bad back and arthritis. I figure it I can do it, anyone can do it.

I sealed things up, added tailgate seal kit, and added USB charging, 12v outlet so I can charge my phone, tablet, hearing aids, etc. while sleeping back there.
That's another reason to have a floorless tent - I have full access to the electric stuff I added back there!
On/Off switch, volt meter, 2 USB charging ports (hearing aids, phone) and a 12v outlet so I could add other stuff - like a powered cooler.
Again, I've plugged holes - it doesn't get dusty back there and it's never been wet in the back.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220819_151408

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220812_084146

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220809_165513

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have dust-proofed the bed of my truck. I've plugged the side holes and added a tailgate seal. That also keeps snow out of the tailgate area in the winter.
So I don't have dust issues back there. It also doesn't leak - the MOPAR rollup doesn't leak. I've had two JT Overlands now with it and no water in the bed.
Yes, I use it as a truck, but I sweep it out before going to events where I'll camp and wash down the back end. Otherwise, a $10 cheap tarp from Menards or Walmart thrown on the bottom of the bed, then an old blanket my wife has thrown out goes on that, then the mattress, etc.
I can leave my duffle bag and stuff in the back when setting up the tent, otherwise stuff goes in the cab or like already said, I've got tubs and buckets that seal so they can sit next to or under the truck and no worries if it does rain.

I typically camp less than 1 mile away from the big river at our AMC race/show/swap events. The hotels in the area are covered with bugs, mayflies and other stuff and they are out there in the area of the track because it's in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees and grass. Never had so much as a fly in the back. No bites, no nothing. (if one is worried, you can always take a spray bottle of bug stuff along and spray around the truck late in the day)

Not that I would never ever change my mind - it's always possible - but I've had no problems for the last couple of years and no bottom makes it a breeze, takes little space (it's really light and compact when packed away in it's storage duffle)
There's other nice tents out there, some prefer the bottom, some don't. I like no bottom as I don't have to empty my truck bed.
Yes, you can leave the tonneau on, but when two bolts and 3 minutes remove it, why?
It just makes the fit tighter, doesn't seal as well around the sides of the bed and takes up space in the truck bed. If 2 bolts and 3 minutes is too much work............
But like I showed - it CAN be left on if it's too much bother to take out 2 bolts ;-)
I'm 66 with a bad back and arthritis. I figure it I can do it, anyone can do it.

I sealed things up, added tailgate seal kit, and added USB charging, 12v outlet so I can charge my phone, tablet, hearing aids, etc. while sleeping back there.
That's another reason to have a floorless tent - I have full access to the electric stuff I added back there!
On/Off switch, volt meter, 2 USB charging ports (hearing aids, phone) and a 12v outlet so I could add other stuff - like a powered cooler.
Again, I've plugged holes - it doesn't get dusty back there and it's never been wet in the back.

Not to hijack, but I'd like to see where/what you used to seal the bed. I have the Bak rollup which is pretty good, only a very minor drip during heavy rain, but very fine dust gets through when I am off road and I'd like to sela it up a bit better. your picture made me think it would be a good idea to seal around the tailgate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not to hijack, but I'd like to see where/what you used to seal the bed. I have the Bak rollup which is pretty good, only a very minor drip during heavy rain, but very fine dust gets through when I am off road and I'd like to sela it up a bit better. your picture made me think it would be a good idea to seal around the tailgate.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPQWXZQ

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 1687974996079

The rear used to get fine snow just inside the tail gate - and fine dust when on dirty roads or gravel.
Not any more.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20210210_104646_HDR

It stops this type of dust as well -

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220731_170919

I recommend this for anyone who uses any sort of a bed tent - closed or open bottom, or who likes to haul their stuff and keep the dust and dirt out. (as well as sealing the holes in the sides of the bed, etc.)

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tent 20220812_084135

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
We have the Napier truck tent.

I wanted one with a floor to avoid the creepy crawlies, this was in the bathroom at one spot we camped at.
Plus I don't have to worry about a dirty/dusty bed.

Tent...
Napier Backroadz Truck Tent https://a.co/d/fkOPVem

Air Mattress...
Intex Dura Beam Standard Pillow Rest Classic Airbed with Internal Pump, Full https://a.co/d/1oifhOH

The pump for the air mattress will run off of the 120v in the back of the Gladiator's center console. Just need an extension cord so you can fill it while it's already in the tent. Works slick.

This looks like a great setup. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave

For bed storage in general (items I won’t with me but don’t want in the can or rolling around) I use a Yeti GoBox 60. I love it.
Sponsored