Sponsored

My Tent Topper - Custom Wedge Tent

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
That's awesome! I have the same 7' garage door issues as you and I'm switching back to a ground tent because of the hassles and extra hands needed to get the RTT loaded up.

I'll echo what others have said... patent that thing!

Clark222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
This looks really great. Could you include a photo of how the tent material attaches to the metal?

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
This looks really great. Could you include a photo of how the tent material attaches to the metal?
Thanks.

I used keder rail/awning rail.

it’s an aluminum extrusion channel. You sew a flexible rod into your tent and it captures the tent fabric around the rod.

Do a search for Tacoma World and DIY Wedge tent. There is a huge thread there on techniques and supplies.

Clark222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Thanks! The tacoma tread is where I started to want building one off these. I really liked his tent but your’s is a step above

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely do patent your design, the guard the patent and possibly contact go fast or others. But after the patent is done otherwise someone can patent the design(s) and then even go after you for monetary loss.
Back in day there was the "poor mans" patent you could do but the US Patents Office has done away with it. I lost out on a few as a juvenile and have gotten to see one of my designs patented and sold by someone else the person even followed up using same material to make it.

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Hey All,

Thanks for the comments and questions. It has been a fun project and I have learned a lot from the build. I am mostly happy as everything works the way I had imagined it would. (I also have a list of changes I would make if I ever did it again)

As for the patent thing, I didn't do this to start a business or get into manufacturing. I might make one more of these in a few years but for now, I did what I wanted and have a solution to getting away for an awesome 2-3 day camping trip that fits in my garage.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
That is very nice. I like how it is the same height as the roofline, much better gas mileage that way.
what do you do with the mattress when you fold the tent in?

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Bump. Been a few years. You still using the topper/tent? How's it been working for you?
Sponsored