Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

I haven't even picked up my new 2021, yes it's new never been sold till I grabbed it, Snazzyberry Gladiator Rubicon. Should be driving it home on May 11th, and I am already thinking of spending money on it. First new vehicle I have bought in the last 20 years, probably be the last one so I'd like it to stay nice for a while so I have been hearing about and reading about ceramic finishes that when applied especially to a new vehicle will protect the paint and shine for a long time. I have been quoted $600.00 to get this done, so I am asking the group for advise, opinion on if this is an "investment" in protecting the rig or a donation to the swindler pedaling this particular snake oil. Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Iā€™ve done it to my last two vehicles. Itā€™ll help with keeping the exterior clean, repels water nicely, and should have some UV protection. If you get it done, donā€™t run your truck through a car wash (unless itā€™s touchless) as it will wear the ceramic off. Make sure the shop has a good track record - once it goes on itā€™s a pain to get off! Iā€™ve had Fenlab and Adams Graphene ceramic coatings applied (separate trucks) and both seem to hold up well to the central Texas heat and climate!

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Iā€™ve done it to my last two vehicles. Itā€™ll help with keeping the exterior clean, repels water nicely, and should have some UV protection. If you get it done, donā€™t run your truck through a car wash (unless itā€™s touchless) as it will wear the ceramic off. Make sure the shop has a good track record - once it goes on itā€™s a pain to get off! Iā€™ve had Fenlab and Adams Graphene ceramic coatings applied (separate trucks) and both seem to hold up well to the central Texas heat and climate!
Howdy jbehrn,

Thanks for your reply. I live in the Nor-Wet, surrounded by trees, it's not the sun that kills finishes here it's the never ending crap from the trees.

Dave

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I have it on mine, but I applied it myself. It does work and it's good stuff. I'm sure I'd have all kinds of pinstripes without it. With it, just the unpainted black flares have scratches. I just keep it fresh with those hybrid wax treatments now, but initial treatment was Chemical Guys real ceramic, and it wasn't cheap, even to do myself. I think it was like $150 + my time.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
A real ceramic coating is not snake oil. Anything on the shelf at a local auto store that is marketed as ceramic coating is not a real ceramic coating. That stuff does work but for much shorter periods so donā€™t expect it to last years like the real coatings.

What kind of coating were they going to apply? I would find out what brand and how many coats

Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
A real ceramic coating is not snake oil. Anything on the shelf at a local auto store that is marketed as ceramic coating is not a real ceramic coating. That stuff does work but for much shorter periods so donā€™t expect it to last years like the real coatings.

What kind of coating were they going to apply? I would find out what brand and how many coats
Howdy John,

The fellow I have been texting referred to me by a long time friend who is a detail freak uses a product called, Onyx Ceramic Coating, how many coats I don't know, I can only "assume" they will know what they are doing and do use as much as is needed, well if I decide to get this done I hope that's the way it works out.

Dave

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Howdy jbehrn,

Thanks for your reply. I live in the Nor-Wet, surrounded by trees, it's not the sun that kills finishes here it's the never ending crap from the trees.

Dave
Canā€™t speak to tree sap, but I found that with the ceramic coatings dirt/mud, road grim, bird crap and oak pollen wash off easily without allowing for any paint damage that would be caused by that stuff during daily driving. I had paint correction done before the ceramic coating was applied - a must to get the best results. The shops also applied it to the glass, fenders and bumpers (to help prevent discoloration). Overall Iā€™m happy with ceramic coatings!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interested in seeing about getting this done on my new one if it comes in this year.
For me it's BUGS, SUN and winter slime (all of those salts of chloride)

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Canā€™t speak to tree sap, but I found that with the ceramic coatings dirt/mud, road grim, bird crap and oak pollen wash off easily without allowing for any paint damage that would be caused by that stuff during daily driving. I had paint correction done before the ceramic coating was applied - a must to get the best results. The shops also applied it to the glass, fenders and bumpers (to help prevent discoloration). Overall Iā€™m happy with ceramic coatings!
Howdy John,

Thanks, that's good useful information.

Dave

Mac_66

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Operations Tech
I used a liquid polymer wax on my 08 wrangler, once every 5 years. Sprayed the dirt and mud off once every 2 weeks with demineralized water because I didn't want it to dry with water spots. minus some brush scratches, the paint looked great until I was hit head on and lost the wrangler. paint still looked great on 70% of it.

Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Howdy John,

Thanks, that's good useful information.

Dave
I have an old thread here with pictures of my old ā€˜20 Black Gladiator after the Fenylab was applied. That should give you a good idea of what to expect ā€˜looksā€™ wise. Good luck!

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Got mine done it cost me like 1400 or so. Even after winter in ny itā€™s still beads water and shines nice

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Howdy John,

The fellow I have been texting referred to me by a long time friend who is a detail freak uses a product called, Onyx Ceramic Coating, how many coats I don't know, I can only "assume" they will know what they are doing and do use as much as is needed, well if I decide to get this done I hope that's the way it works out.

Dave
I havenā€™t used Onyx yet but seems to be good stuff. They have different levels of protection with the Onyx line so Iā€™d make sure you get what you want. I look forward to your review if you decide to get this done.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
There are already some threads on ceramic treatment in general. One is called ā€œ5 year Ceramic Protectionā€ or something similar. In any event they do work.

The cost and quality vary. Iā€™m not at all a pro, but we have some pro detailers here on the Forum who may comment. And many here who use home DIY versions. I know nothing, but Iā€˜ve gathered that the key points that determine pricing are:

1. Paint correction. This is the bulk of the labor, so if you take a brand new vehicle in you might get a better deal than list.
2. The relative quality of the products used, which is beyond me
3. Judging the skill of the installer, which is also beyond me.
4. The number of layers applied, which is related to
5. the length of the warranty
6. whether wheels and windows are included.

Iā€™ve had a $500 job arranged by a Jeep dealer in Chicago, it lasted maybe a year, and a several thou$$and job from a pro involving some ā€œwrapā€ then multilayer coating for the whole car including over the wrap. That oneā€™s still ā€shining and sheddingā€ after 11 years (with periodic waxing).

For reference, this is a link to list prices at a place with a great reputation in one (two) of the most expensive areas in the entire country. I imagine they do more G-Wagons than Jeeps. Their packages start at $1k list.
https://www.proshinehamptons.com/ceramic-pro-packages-hamptons

So IMHO Iā€™d say definitely do it but check the details on that $500 version.
Sponsored