Halogen bulb replacement

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
Headlight Revolution - Best bang for the buck. Plug and play install. I did the headlights, fogs and DRL's - love the crisp white light. Can't beat the brights for night time backroads. I have 3 Jeeps with the same set up.
Sponsored

JAVYPRO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
If you update to LED, do you need the dealership to go in the “modes” to allow the system to accept them? I do not have the Tazer.
Javy

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
If you update to LED, do you need the dealership to go in the “modes” to allow the system to accept them? I do not have the Tazer.
Javy
Not if you're just swapping LED bulbs in to replace the incandescent ones. If you swap out the entire light fixture to an LED, yes, you'll need to turn this feature on through a programmer. Very easy to do. A dealer can do this, but a handheld programmer is a great investment for the various things it allows you to do in your own garage. Well worth the purchase.

Punkn_Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Javy
Unless you want to be that butt-head on the road that doesn't give a rip about others, replace the whole reflector/housing. I know people do otherwise, but one of these days you may run into a guy who has had his limit of those people who brag about their LED upgrade and drive around blinding others - and decides to do something about it.....

Here is some tech from the internet for those who say "oh, it's ok, I do it all the time" ->

---------------------------------------------
You and I both know that halogens are a dated technology. So are LEDs a suitable alternative?

To put it simply, yes. LEDs can be used in reflector headlights BUT (and it’s a big but) if you’re upgrading the bulb, you also need to upgrade the reflector bowl.

Failure to do so can blind or dazzle other people.

You see, no two reflectors are the same. Each reflector headlight design is meticulously crafted based on the precise specifications of the halogen bulb it intends to use. This ensures there’s a good throw and spread of light.

Replacing a halogen bulb with an LED, therefore, throws the reflector off balance. Even minute changes will alter where the light hits the reflector and gets projected out to.

Essentially, the light will end up in places it was not intended to.

This is exacerbated by the fact that LEDs are a directional light source, whereas halogens are omnidirectional. Unlike halogens, an LED will not illuminate the reflector surface evenly. This has two consequences:

Firstly, by shining light only at the reflector’s sides, there’s likely to be blank, hollow, or hot spots in the light beam.

Secondly, by failing to illuminate the upper portion of the reflector, the headlight will have reduced distance projection. Instead, the light will scatter above the cut-off point and blind other drivers.

Blinding other drivers is an obvious safety hazard, so it’s essential to replace both the light source and the reflector bowl if you’re thinking of upgrading to LEDs.

The alternative to that would be to get a specifically designed LEDs for your vehicle. These will be set up in a way that the light beam will be emitted according to the bowl shape.
--------------------------------------------------

And this is a test a Toyota guy did showing how BAD, piss-poor, halogen reflectors handle LED ->

LED comparison
Ultimate halogen left (driver). Opt7 LED on right (passenger) resulting in complete mess of a beam, lack of beam saturation with the loss of the cut off horizon, so much so it is even bleeding over the driver-side cut off horizon of the halogen. This is what blinds oncoming drivers. This is why you should not run an LED in a halogen reflector. There is zero resemblance of beam control. This is why a projector retrofit is needed to control glare with LEDs.
Jeep Gladiator Halogen bulb replacement 1632698201947

And another article pointing out the reasons to do it right and not just stick LED bulbs in and be done ->
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/03/...dlights-work-and-others-just-blind-everybody/

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Unless you want to be that butt-head on the road that doesn't give a rip about others, replace the whole reflector/housing. I know people do otherwise, but one of these days you may run into a guy who has had his limit of those people who brag about their LED upgrade and drive around blinding others - and decides to do something about it.....

Here is some tech from the internet for those who say "oh, it's ok, I do it all the time" ->

Yadda, yadda, yadda...
It really depends on how well the housings were designed, and which LEDs you use.
The set I put in greatly improved the forward light saturation, and the cut-off didn't change.
I've had them in nearly a year, and I have NOT been flashed even once.
That being said, I have seen many replacement LEDs that seem to have paid very little attention to the placement of the emitter (the actual LED chip.)

Kevin

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Just put a set of led bulbs from Amazon in mine, everything is just fine

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
These are the bulbs I installed on my '18 JLUR. They are night & day improvement over the stock bulbs.

However, I ended up finding a set of refurbished Mopar LED headlights on eBay at a reasonable price and swapped those in. I was amazed at the difference. Since these lights are designed as LED's from the start, the light pattern is so much better than just upgrading to LED bulbs. If I hadn't gone both routes in my own Jeep, upgrading bulbs to upgrading the entire fixture, I wouldn't have believed there would truly be that much difference. When I bought my JTR, the LED headlights were a must have on my list.
Sponsored