Hatteras/Ocracoke Main Thread

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is a dedicated thread for Hatteras and Ocracoke islands, North Carolina. Both are a days drive from Hampton Roads, Virginia and the Research Triangle.

These two spots have a decidedly more low key vibe than the rest of OBX which is why I feel like they deserve their own thread. Both allow permitted beach driving and are more geared to camping than the summer vacation rental crowd. Theyā€™re both popular for fishing, surfing and for anyone wanting a less touristy beach experience.

Feel free to post anything related to these areas including gear, announcements, fishing/surfing related, local sites, eateries, bars, local shout-outs, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolf Island Diver

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Headed down to Hatteras, we've normally aired down to 15 in other trucks & our Outback for the last bizillion years. Saw your Ocracoke post -- you mentioned 10-15, but probs could've been okay at full pressure...Should we stick to 15, or go slightly higher?
So, Iā€™ve been running between 8-15 PSI but I have beadlocks. The problem with 8psi is itā€™s terrible if I have to go on the main road to run to the store for some ice or beer or bait. Iā€™ve been happy with 15psi if I drive really slow on road. When Iā€™ve been in Ocracoke I havenā€™t seen anyone else airing down. So last time I went I didnā€™t air down at all. The 37s M/Ts weā€™re fine at 28PSI, but with a full load, they donā€™t feel as good and the truck is way harsher over undulations in the sand. I also have traction boards so Iā€™m less concerned about getting stuck anyway. Iā€™ll probably go back to 15ish next time. Itā€™s pretty lazy for me not to air down with my 4 tire system and PowerTank. It takes like 5 minutes.

Winstead887

First Name
Debi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JTO
Occupation
college admissions
So, Iā€™ve been running between 8-15 PSI but I have beadlocks. The problem with 8psi is itā€™s terrible if I have to go on the main road to run to the store for some ice or beer or bait. Iā€™ve been happy with 15psi if I drive really slow on road. When Iā€™ve been in Ocracoke I havenā€™t seen anyone else airing down. So last time I went I didnā€™t air down at all. The 37s M/Ts weā€™re fine at 28PSI, but with a full load, they donā€™t feel as good and the truck is way harsher over undulations in the sand. I also have traction boards so Iā€™m less concerned about getting stuck anyway. Iā€™ll probably go back to 15ish next time. Itā€™s pretty lazy for me not to air down with my 4 tire system and PowerTank. It takes like 5 minutes.
@Wolf Island Diver Thanks a bunch! Great that you started this thread! My parents had a house for ~ 20 yrs by ramp 38 in Askins Creek -- deep, soft sand last couple of years. We always air down. (Don't want to be the one stuck, then taking air down for all to see :giggle: ) Since they sold, we hang out in Frisco (#49) if we're not on Ocracoke, but during covid it became chaotic. Hopefully things have calmed down. Frisco Market had added a 2nd air filling station last time we were there which is super convenient (right across from 49/airport rd). We usually just keep the air out most of the time we're there & don't drive over 35. I'm curious to see how the Jeep handles since this'll be its maiden voyage! Thanks again.

PS - You have an INCREDIBLE rig & an awesome doggo -- love the name Donut!! (Saw your pics on your other post!)

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
How many "Main Threads" will I have to keep up with now? šŸ˜…

I don't think there needs to be such a specific locale. I travel hundreds of miles to events/meetups if I think they're gonna be worth my while. Narrowing them down to all these little niche threads are just gonna make me accidentally miss something cool. I don't want to miss something cool.

Anyway, as they say in OBX: Don't be a Clown, Air Down! I'll be hitting the beaches next week as the hurricane passes, trying to snag some cool seaglass etc.

Last edited:

ifishihuntiplay

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Thanks for starting this thread. I usually do fine at 20-22 lbs. off all the ramps. However, as @Wolf Island Diver said, the sand off the Avon ramps (34/38) is as soft and deep as I've seen. I dropped down to 18. Was just there end of July, heading back for 10 days the beginning of November.

Jeep Gladiator Hatteras/Ocracoke Main Thread 20230723_181447

Jeep Gladiator Hatteras/Ocracoke Main Thread 20230723_175222

Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
They usually recommend dropping to 18 to start, your setup is very light on the feet. You won't be risking a slipped bead until you're pushing 10. My little manual deflators are set to 15 personally.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Perfect area, especially in the "off-season". My aunt lives in Manteo, my mom lives in Virginia Beach, my brother has since moved to Georgia but was a Park Ranger down there previously. We went to Hatteras every Summer for probably 15 straight years.

OP
OP
Wolf Island Diver

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
How many "Main Threads" will I have to keep up with now? šŸ˜…

I don't think there needs to be such a specific locale. I travel hundreds of miles to events/meetups if I think they're gonna be worth my while. Narrowing them down to all these little niche threads are just gonna make me accidentally miss something cool. I don't want to miss something cool.

Anyway, as they say in OBX: Don't be a Clown, Air Down! I'll be hitting the beaches next week as the hurricane passes, trying to snag some cool seaglass etc.
Honestly, I could see arguments in either direction. People could argue we need a Beach Locale thread so that the folks on the Gulf Coast and Florida could drop knowledge, experiences, etc.. @Pescatoral Pursuit Iā€™m think of you. Fundamentally beach Jeeping is different and I say that as a long time mountain guy. You could argue OBX belongs under Hampton Roads since we here in HR think if OBX as our back yard. This would rightly insult people who actually live in NC.

My logic for giving these two locations their own thread is that timely information is important. Access to both places is limited, especially OI. Having a place to let others know of issues is useful, e.g., the sea turtles are gone and night access is back, storm damage has messed up the ferry or road access, the NPS has shut down ramp X. New comers might have questions about the campgrounds, restaurants. Last time I came back from OI our ferry captain said there was a good chance of us running aground so a hurricane may actually knock out the northern OI access.

Lastly, when you pull onto the beach you can basically see for a mile or more, and thereā€™s basically only one strip. Thereā€™s actually a good chance people who post here will see and recognize each other by our Jeeps down there which is pretty cool. Iā€™m pretty recognizable by the red Jeep, with an awning and a dog hanging out the window

I hear you on the threadcreep. I think Watching and receiving notifications is the best solution, although I do get a lot of notifications from all the threads I follow. The bigger problem I have is not knowing about threads. I was unaware until a day ago that there was an HR thread.

ifishihuntiplay

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
You could argue OBX belongs under Hampton Roads since we here in HR think if OBX as our back yard. This would rightly insult people who actually live in NC.
No offense taken! Grew up in Eastern NC and always went to the southern beaches. US 64 was a two-lane road from 95 all the way to Nags Head and it took forever to get there. In fact, it wasn't until I moved to VA after school that I started going to the OBX on a regular basis. Back in NC now, but some buddies and I do a fall trip to Buxton every year. This fall will be our 27th.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolf Island Diver

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
No offense taken! Grew up in Eastern NC and always went to the southern beaches. US 64 was a two-lane road from 95 all the way to Nags Head and it took forever to get there. In fact, it wasn't until I moved to VA after school that I started going to the OBX on a regular basis. Back in NC now, but some buddies and I do a fall trip to Buxton every year. This fall will be our 27th.
Me when I roll into OBX or DC with my Virginia plates and I see someone with plates from somewhere other than NC or VA:
Jeep Gladiator Hatteras/Ocracoke Main Thread 1694820921004

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Honestly, I could see arguments in either direction. People could argue we need a Beach Locale thread so that the folks on the Gulf Coast and Florida could drop knowledge, experiences, etc.. @Pescatoral Pursuit Iā€™m think of you. Fundamentally beach Jeeping is different and I say that as a long time mountain guy. You could argue OBX belongs under Hampton Roads since we here in HR think if OBX as our back yard. This would rightly insult people who actually live in NC.

My logic for giving these two locations their own thread is that timely information is important. Access to both places is limited, especially OI. Having a place to let others know of issues is useful, e.g., the sea turtles are gone and night access is back, storm damage has messed up the ferry or road access, the NPS has shut down ramp X. New comers might have questions about the campgrounds, restaurants. Last time I came back from OI our ferry captain said there was a good chance of us running aground so a hurricane may actually knock out the northern OI access.

Lastly, when you pull onto the beach you can basically see for a mile or more, and thereā€™s basically only one strip. Thereā€™s actually a good chance people who post here will see and recognize each other by our Jeeps down there which is pretty cool. Iā€™m pretty recognizable by the red Jeep, with an awning and a dog hanging out the window

I hear you on the threadcreep. I think Watching and receiving notifications is the best solution, although I do get a lot of notifications from all the threads I follow. The bigger problem I have is not knowing about threads. I was unaware until a day ago that there was an HR thread.
Exactly my thoughts, I don't want to miss out by overlooking a new thread. I don't doubt this will be a very helpful thread, but you will also see posts in the NC and South forums planning events to come to these exact beaches and either they won't see this thread, or we won't see theirs.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Me when I roll into OBX or DC with my Virginia plates and I see someone with plates from somewhere other than NC or VA:
Jeep Gladiator Hatteras/Ocracoke Main Thread 1694820921004
Oh my gosh, I almost get anxiety coming back to VA with my NJ plates. I always feel like people are looking at me, I just want to yell "I was born and raised here!" šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba

Funny you tag me... We're planning a tour de Cape Area beaches for the end of this month. Is there a comprehensive guide available online? No hard agenda. The basic plan is to visit different places and stay in hotels but if there's a locale with too much to sea and/ or do, we could stay there for a couple days.

Also as username might suggest I would definitely not mind sampling the local surf/ pier fishing.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba

Funny you tag me... We're planning a tour de Cape Area beaches for the end of this month. Is there a comprehensive guide available online? No hard agenda. The basic plan is to visit different places and stay in hotels but if there's a locale with too much to sea and/ or do, we could stay there for a couple days.

Also as username might suggest I would definitely not mind sampling the local surf/ pier fishing.
Sponsored