First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator HA
Occupation
Self
I have a new (1 mo) high Altitude and the backup camera has gone black. I’ve put in the auto window module and idrive throttle controller without incident. My son and I put hushmat under the carpet. The camera was working fine after all that, but today it is black. Should I take out my idrive and window controller to troubleshoot?
Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
There are bugs with the camera module from time to time. Usually completely hard rebooting the head unit is the approach I use.

(This is the method I use with the 8.4")

Start the Jeep, and if the backup camera is acting wonky, I'll press and hold the power button on the radio down for about 15-20 seconds. Even when it goes black, continue to hold it down.

Eventually, I will let the power button go, and then immediately re-press and hold the button.

This seems to do something that causes the head unit to do a hard reboot, and then the camera works.

I don't know if this method works for any other unit, or if mine just happens to be somewhat quirky.. but this seems to always fix the camera being out, for me.

You can tell the difference between a hard and soft reboot, due to the amount of time it takes to come back up... The hard reboot clearly takes significantly longer, and doesn't just immediately come back online.

I just don't have any real proof that what I'm doing isn't a longer version of something else, however :)

(This is actually a method that a number of modern electronics use to fully reinitialize a device, which is what I based the process on)

~ Casp

OP
OP
SF915

SF915

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator HA
Occupation
Self
There are bugs with the camera module from time to time. Usually completely hard rebooting the head unit is the approach I use.

(This is the method I use with the 8.4")
Thanks Caspien, I was very excited to try this because I was worried I did something. However when I got out there to try it was back in action. Maybe 4 hours down. From my forum searching it seems likely I’ll be in the same position again, so I’m grateful for the tip.
Sponsored