Sponsored

Here’s a new one

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I had a feeling you were brilliant beyond what we see.
Thanks, but I am probably along the lines of I just know enough to be semi competent but still a little dangerous. We got other engineer Velcro shoe wearing Rain Man type savants at work that could explain it better than I can.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a flux capacitor tester.......but blew out caps in the power supply. Need a new one.

alternator-scope-engine-2.jpg

Reactions: jlg

Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
holychit!
That thing use electron tubes?
:movember:
LOL - yeah. When I worked at Compressor Controls Corp one of the engineers there had used this and some other equipment when he took some classes and asked if I wanted them. Yeah, I got them - and I used the scope for my alternator testing - to check for excessive ripple, test the diodes under load, stator windings under load, that sort of thing. Well, it was rather old then, finally blew the power supply caps. I really liked it as it was set up perfect for my alternator output pattern testing and load testing - bummer, it's broken.
So I need to get it fixed or find a replacement for it.
I'm using an automotive engine scope now and it doesn't work out well for this sort of thing.
I've thought I'd actually pay to get it fixed - but don't know anyone who would touch it. I believe it's only the power supply that's toast.

Reactions: JP1

TLife

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - Hydro Blue
Occupation
EE
LOL - yeah. When I worked at Compressor Controls Corp one of the engineers there had used this and some other equipment when he took some classes and asked if I wanted them. Yeah, I got them - and I used the scope for my alternator testing - to check for excessive ripple, test the diodes under load, stator windings under load, that sort of thing. Well, it was rather old then, finally blew the power supply caps. I really liked it as it was set up perfect for my alternator output pattern testing and load testing - bummer, it's broken.
So I need to get it fixed or find a replacement for it.
I'm using an automotive engine scope now and it doesn't work out well for this sort of thing.
I've thought I'd actually pay to get it fixed - but don't know anyone who would touch it. I believe it's only the power supply that's toast.
How integrated is the power supply? Is it possible to remove/disconnect it and replace it with something external?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How integrated is the power supply? Is it possible to remove/disconnect it and replace it with something external?
It's part of the system, not like a PC. It's a board, but the thing is wired into the main boards with multiple outputs if I recall correctly. Been a while since I looked - saw the exploded caps and set it on a shelf.
I suspect a person better than I am at electronics could repair it.

I've built small things, like I have a replacement voltage regulator circuit I've been working on to replace the Motorola external voltage regulators used with AMC cars and Jeeps of the 60s and 70s. It's working pretty well, but I need to get temperature compensation figured in somehow. The originals charge slightly higher in cold temps, they have a thermistor and change the regulated voltage based on ambient under-hood temps near the battery. Mine regulates a steady voltage regardless of the temperature.

reg-prototype_4501.jpg
reg-bread-board_1.jpg
reg-prototype_4500.jpg

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Anyone notice anything out of the ordinary? I pulled up to the house and turned the Jeep off. It was stuck at 10mph on the speedo. Turned it back on and the needle flickered and stayed on 10 mph at a stand still. Turned it back off and now it’s working. Any advice to what problem I may be experiencing?

B04F3E8B-CD16-4EA8-AF24-6E7A12F4E354.jpeg
Did you turn off the engine while still in PARK?
Sponsored