Sponsored

Home wifi help, complete non Jeep question?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Silver tip does not perform well in lightweight bullets. It works reasonably well in mid-weight and higher bullets. It's a reasonable choice for heavy .357 Magnum or .45 Colt loads, it's a poor choice for a 115gr 9mm. Penetration is lacking and it performs poorly in bone strikes. I have seen the results many times, including headshots, that were ineffective. I think people who don't routinely deal with gunshot wounds underestimate how hard the human skull is and how frequently rounds skip off.

Look for a quality bonded, or otherwise jacket locked, 147gr or 124gr+P for best results in 9mm. Federal HST, Gold Dots of any generation, Hornady Critical Duty (Note DUTY and not DEFENSE) all do very well on bone strikes and soft tissue strikes.

Finally, get it in your mind right now that having a gun and pointing it is not a magic wand that causes compliance. Especially with who you are dealing with, which I'll go into more in a bit. You'd be absolute shocked how many people's last words are some varition of "what are you going to do, shoot me?" and continue their aggressive behavior. If you are not mentally prepared to pull the trigger, are not 100% confident in your understanding of the law, and are not ready for the incredibly lousy aftermath of smoking some asshole even if he needed it, get that way before pulling. I've been on both sides of that investigation. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, although I am not familiar with your state's specific laws.

Guys who talk about just getting out of prison do so because they think it makes them sound tough and intimidating, as well as in conveying a certain social status among their peers. Do not think of it as stupidity, though he likely is stupid, think of him as someone from a foreign culture. He does not value what you value and vice versa. He has very little in his life, especially while in prison, that he has real control over so "respect" becomes an outsized need in his mind. Especially in front of peer groups, he is going to posture and make threats over anything that he feels threatens the respect of his peers. It's something to be aware of, but is not as dangerous as "I'm not going back to prison." That's when the real fight is about to be on.
Very very good advice. Something you will have to deal with and live with for rest of your life, but it's your life.
Another note on hype of 45ACP.... it's not the end all be all either.
Sponsored

ILikeYourHat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Ram, Chevy
Occupation
Government drone
Very very good advice. Something you will have to deal with and live with for rest of your life, but it's your life.
Another note on hype of 45ACP.... it's not the end all be all either.
With modern bullet construction, ammunition selection matters more than anything once you're in the common duty cartridges. .45 Auto works well with proper bullet selection, but so does 9mm, .40S&W, .357 Magnum, etc. All excel in certain contexts and lack in others.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Three out of four individuals would agree the forth not so much... but that was mil spec FMJ.
As a side note effective is proper placement more than what is used. The first ones commented on was under bad lighting in a very close in meeting.

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
Silver tip does not perform well in lightweight bullets. It works reasonably well in mid-weight and higher bullets. It's a reasonable choice for heavy .357 Magnum or .45 Colt loads, it's a poor choice for a 115gr 9mm. Penetration is lacking and it performs poorly in bone strikes. I have seen the results many times, including headshots, that were ineffective. I think people who don't routinely deal with gunshot wounds underestimate how hard the human skull is and how frequently rounds skip off.

Look for a quality bonded, or otherwise jacket locked, 147gr or 124gr+P for best results in 9mm. Federal HST, Gold Dots of any generation, Hornady Critical Duty (Note DUTY and not DEFENSE) all do very well on bone strikes and soft tissue strikes.

Finally, get it in your mind right now that having a gun and pointing it is not a magic wand that causes compliance. Especially with who you are dealing with, which I'll go into more in a bit. You'd be absolute shocked how many people's last words are some varition of "what are you going to do, shoot me?" and continue their aggressive behavior. If you are not mentally prepared to pull the trigger, are not 100% confident in your understanding of the law, and are not ready for the incredibly lousy aftermath of smoking some asshole even if he needed it, get that way before pulling. I've been on both sides of that investigation. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, although I am not familiar with your state's specific laws.

Guys who talk about just getting out of prison do so because they think it makes them sound tough and intimidating, as well as in conveying a certain social status among their peers. Do not think of it as stupidity, though he likely is stupid, think of him as someone from a foreign culture. He does not value what you value and vice versa. He has very little in his life, especially while in prison, that he has real control over so "respect" becomes an outsized need in his mind. Especially in front of peer groups, he is going to posture and make threats over anything that he feels threatens the respect of his peers. It's something to be aware of, but is not as dangerous as "I'm not going back to prison." That's when the real fight is about to be on.
Thanks for some well spoken input. The 9mm and the bullets we bought about a 2 years ago. My parents live in the country, and my dad was dying of cancer. He died in August last year, a week after his father, a year after his mother. My mom knew she wasn't going to feel safe and wanted some options. We ended up with a S&W 9 ez. She needed something she could rack, I've told her that wont be needed. Its loaded and just pull the trigger. The bullets and gun we bought during covid, after the election, and products were scarce. ( we had to go to academy at 6am to get ammo, they didn't open until 9am) I'm not well versed in guns, after we bought it we've been to the range several times and she knows hot how to use it. She hit spots 6/9 times that are going to hurt(eye socket, groin, throat) Yesteday we bought a 20 gauge mossberg, she is a smaller, older woman and it was easier for her to handle. Again, not well versed in guns, but want her to feel safe.
I had a very serious conversation with her today, don't worry about confronting people driving on the road, we'll deal with that. The main concern is them getting near the house, or in the house. Don't open the door, tell them you've called the police, you have a gun, and that they should leave. If they don't leave, and try to continue to advance into the house. YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO SHOOT THEM.
I'll search for more reliable 9mm defense rounds tomorrow.
Again, thank you everyone for help.
And the feet comments, keep em to yourself. This is why I don't put them out the door on foot pegs. 🤣

ILikeYourHat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Ram, Chevy
Occupation
Government drone
Thanks for some well spoken input. The 9mm and the bullets we bought about a 2 years ago. My parents live in the country, and my dad was dying of cancer. He died in August last year, a week after his father, a year after his mother. My mom knew she wasn't going to feel safe and wanted some options. We ended up with a S&W 9 ez. She needed something she could rack, I've told her that wont be needed. Its loaded and just pull the trigger. The bullets and gun we bought during covid, after the election, and products were scarce. ( we had to go to academy at 6am to get ammo, they didn't open until 9am) I'm not well versed in guns, after we bought it we've been to the range several times and she knows hot how to use it. She hit spots 6/9 times that are going to hurt(eye socket, groin, throat) Yesteday we bought a 20 gauge mossberg, she is a smaller, older woman and it was easier for her to handle. Again, not well versed in guns, but want her to feel safe.
I had a very serious conversation with her today, don't worry about confronting people driving on the road, we'll deal with that. The main concern is them getting near the house, or in the house. Don't open the door, tell them you've called the police, you have a gun, and that they should leave. If they don't leave, and try to continue to advance into the house. YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO SHOOT THEM.
I'll search for more reliable 9mm defense rounds tomorrow.
Again, thank you everyone for help.
And the feet comments, keep em to yourself. This is why I don't put them out the door on foot pegs. 🤣
20g is a solid choice. If you didn't buy a youth model, you may want to take a look at a youth stock. It will reduce the total length, length of pull, and make it easier for her to handle and balance. #1 and up buckshot works a treat for putting bad guys' dicks in the dirt. Do not use bird shot of any weight. It's essentially useless against humans much beyond contact distances.

S&W makes a good, reliable gun. It is important to be able to rack the gun in case of a misfeed, though. It happens. With that light of a gun, and her being on the smaller side, I'd lean toward standard pressure (boxes that do NOT say "+P") cartridges.

Women are often better beginner shooters then men.

Sponsored

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
You're about out of luck on standard gear with that distance. Even the 2.4GHz band craps out around 100m with 5GHz getting around 60m. You'll need to find a dedicated device for this that isn't generally cheap and requires line of sight. I don't like ubiquiti but they probably have something in the cheapest you'll find. If not them then mikrotik.
Ubiquiti Nanostations is your best cost effective bet to extend your network.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Bun...biquiti+short+range+nanostation,aps,69&sr=8-2

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
20g is a solid choice. If you didn't buy a youth model, you may want to take a look at a youth stock. It will reduce the total length, length of pull, and make it easier for her to handle and balance. #1 and up buckshot works a treat for putting bad guys' dicks in the dirt. Do not use bird shot of any weight. It's essentially useless against humans much beyond contact distances.

S&W makes a good, reliable gun. It is important to be able to rack the gun in case of a misfeed, though. It happens. With that light of a gun, and her being on the smaller side, I'd lean toward standard pressure (boxes that do NOT say "+P") cartridges.

Women are often better beginner shooters then men.
It's a mossberg 510 mini, pretty sure its a youth model.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As noted by others a 20 GA. is effective, most new JHP ammo is better than the JHP ammo of 20 years ago. Now there is some that's for target shooting, but small selection of it. A year or two back I bought myself a 20 GA, reason was I've got a single shot and 3-5 years ago I was in a store doing a closeout on 20 GA hunting ammo for $1.50 a box the store had a few hundred boxes. Now I'm regretting not getting 50 boxes, I only got maybe 8 or 10 boxes.
Hope you and family's problem ends in good resolution.
Sponsored