Sponsored

How do Your Freedom Panels Fit?

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
That is definitely a step in height.
Either those locks aren’t milled properly on that panel or assembled correctly. Can you tell if the rubber seals are seated correctly?
If can not find any adjustability definitely go to the dealer. Fer sure warranty time. Good luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
That is definitely a step in height.
Either those locks aren’t milled properly on that panel or assembled correctly. Can you tell if the rubber seals are seated correctly?
If can not find any adjustability definitely go to the dealer. Fer sure warranty time. Good luck.
Rubber seems good. The tab on the driver side that the panel locks into (the metal portion on the windshield but closest to the mirror) does seem higher than the passenger equivalent but without any adjustability that I see. When turning the locking handles, it is noticeably more difficult for the driver’s panel than the passenger’s.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Rubber seems good. The tab on the driver side that the panel locks into (the metal portion on the windshield but closest to the mirror) does seem higher than the passenger equivalent but without any adjustability that I see. When turning the locking handles, it is noticeably more difficult for the driver’s panel than the passenger’s.
If that’s the case that the metal is higher...
I know the portion your referring to. I can’t remember if that is a welded piece. If it’s parts of an assembly maybe that portion was made out of spec and can be replaced.
Not having my roof off and being it’s 30F outside I can’t compare any measurements for you. I’d definitely visit your dealer have them compare to another Gladiator.
Unless like I stated earlier the portion of the roof panel isn’t milled properly and forcing the lock to sit proud.
Keep us posted on what you find out.
Hope you get it fixed soon.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Here's a new one. Finally got some time away from work so figured I'd check with the dealers to get this checked out. Local dealer informs me that they will CHARGE me a minimum of one hour's labor to re-seat my panel. They say that this misalignment is my fault since I removed the panel. Of course I removed the damn panel; that's why you buy a Jeep! You mean to tell me that since my panel does not fit and I took the panel off that it is not covered under warranty??? I mean even if it is my fault and I'm not installing this correctly (which I don't know how that's possible), you can't take five minutes to show me what I'm doing wrong? You're going to CHARGE ME? Wow. I'm heated.

@JeepCares I know the dealers in north Florida are notoriously bad; this is why I had to drive five hours to buy at a dealer worth a damn. But wow, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a dealer.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a new one. Finally got some time away from work so figured I'd check with the dealers to get this checked out. Local dealer informs me that they will CHARGE me a minimum of one hour's labor to re-seat my panel. They say that this misalignment is my fault since I removed the panel. Of course I removed the damn panel; that's why you buy a Jeep! You mean to tell me that since my panel does not fit and I took the panel off that it is not covered under warranty??? I mean even if it is my fault and I'm not installing this correctly (which I don't know how that's possible), you can't take five minutes to show me what I'm doing wrong? You're going to CHARGE ME? Wow. I'm heated.

@JeepCares I know the dealers in north Florida are notoriously bad; this is why I had to drive five hours to buy at a dealer worth a damn. But wow, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a dealer.
That dealer is insane. WTF.
C’mon @JeepCares wake them up!
what happened to common courtesy.
They sure don’t want to earn your business.
Sorry you haven’t had this resolved yet.
My only suggestion is yet another dealer and ask for the service manager if no satisfaction ask for regional rep.
Best of luck. I’ve no other suggestions other than previously stated.

Sponsored

4esop

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Software Engineer
There shouldn't be any difference in how hard it is to lock the sides. To me that would indicate things aren't seated properly. But obviously there could be some manufacturing issue.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
My roof panels fit just fine, inside the storage bag that came with my truck. Put my Sunrider on as I took delivery of my truck and really don’t plan to take the Sunrider off.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
My roof panels fit just fine, inside the storage bag that came with my truck. Put my Sunrider on as I took delivery of my truck and really don’t plan to take the Sunrider off.
I'm sure this is helpful to the OP! ;)

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I'm sure this is helpful to the OP! ;)
let the man brag a bit! thats what the taking the jeep tops off are all about.

On a serious note, it might be worth paying for the hour just to see if they can do it. If they can, you know its something you are doing wrong, although i cant for the life of me think of what that could be. The tops seem pretty foolproof. I think you have a manufacturing issue. You may find that they will have to admit that if they cant fit the tops on, and then you might have some luck getting them to fix it as a warranty item.

but its frustrating as hell i bet.

i have taken my freedom panels off several times, plus the whole roof. i havent paid much attention to the order of assembly but i have never noticed any misalignment. I am going to look at mine just to check.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
let the man brag a bit!
Well sure, but there are plenty of better threads for that! To me it was a bit of: Got a wound?, here's some salt. The OP has got to be really frustrated. I sure as hell would be; both with the issue and the dealer's response.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey guys please don’t get me wrong here. Just trying to have a little fun here, not trying to add any salt to any wounds. Sorry if anyone took it that way. Also sorry if anyone has troubles with their top panels.
let the man brag a bit! thats what the taking the jeep tops off are all about.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
No worries here! I’m just ranting at this point.

All mounting points look to be as intended with no overlap of weather stripping or seals. All pins are aligned and the order of assembly is correct. Driver side twist locks are significantly more difficult to turn than the passenger ones and everything makes contact without gap. The panel is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher than the passenger one. I don’t mean to pull this card, but I’m an intelligent fella and deal with significantly more difficult things than the LEGOs that is this panel on a daily basis. Something just isn’t right. Sad to hear a dealer that represents the brand I love push this the wrong way. I’ve probably owned a dozen Jeeps with more Jeeps than the JT in the family to this day. Sure this is a petty complaint, but this is a Jeep that’s floating around that $60k mark. I shouldn’t be expected to pay anyone anything for something that’s been a defect from delivery. And I’d feel the same if it cost me $6k new.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Sure this is a petty complaint, but this is a Jeep that’s floating around that $60k mark. I shouldn’t be expected to pay anyone anything for something that’s been a defect from delivery. And I’d feel the same if it cost me $6k new.
Agreed, your local dealer is a total douche. I'd tell them that you'll happily pay it, but only if they can prove you are doing something wrong; by the sounds of it, they won't be able to. Once it gets fixed (presumably under warranty), I'd then have a chat with the service manager and general manager and tell them that you won't step foot in their shop again if that's how they treat customers. Realistically, they should have told you to bring it in so they could look, and if it turned out to be user error, just show you what you were doing wrong (again, I don't think you are). For the 5 minutes it would take, it would be worth it for them to perhaps gain a new customer.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Sad to say but to some people “customer service” is not in their vocabulary. Pretty bad for any dealership trying to sell $60,000.00 trucks.
Sponsored