Sponsored

How exactly are you guys using these Baofeng radios?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
The Baofeng UV-5R and similar radios work just fine on GMRS and FRS but they can be a PIA to learn how to get them programmed. I've had dozens of them dropped off here for me to program because the owners just can't do it. Once you do they are not legal by FCC rules to use on GMRS or FRS. But they are popular due to the cost (nearly free) and lots of people use them on GMRS.

OK, so I hardmounted a CB in my Gladiator because that was what everyone had 20 years ago, when I was last into wheeling. Come to find out, no one uses CB anymore, they all use GMRS. Fast forward 20 years, get my Gladiator, getting back into fourwheeling, but no one uses CB anymore. OK, so I poke around in this subforum and it seems like most guys are using these Baofeng radios, so I got two, a UV-5R and a BF-F8HP. Well, one group I wheel with uses FRS radios. I tune the Baofengs to their freqs and I can listen but I can't TX.

So to make a long story short, the Baofengs won't talk to FRS. I thought they were GMRS, they're not. I guess they're actually HAM, which in reality requires ANOTHER license, a different one, that requires a test.

How in the hell are you guys using these Baofengs? And since I have now bought THREE radios (including the CB) that are WRONG, how do I know the next radio I get will actually allow me to talk to someone when I go out fourwheeling?

Here's the noext one I'm looking at, will this work?:
https://www.amazon.com/Firmware-Radioddity-Digital-Transceiver-Contacts/dp/B096Q52LX9/ref=sr_1_34?crid=3TJWZJZSSPBMC&keywords=gmrs+radio+base+station&qid=1674511465&sprefix=gmrs+base+radio,aps,91&sr=8-34

Frustrated,
Darel
Sponsored

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
That is not a plug and play radio and at the very least you may have to match CTCSS tones or DCS cods buried in a menu for the people or group you want to talk with. If for some reason they don't use tones or codes then its closer to plug and play.

I have some similar radios and don't like them, actually I never use them due to the cumbersome way they operate. Instead of having a simple volume control and a separate channel selector they like to have a main do everything knob and you have to go into menus to tell the knob its a volume control now or its a squelch adjustment knob or whatever. I have several radios in a pile in my garage like that I'll never use again.
Thank you for this! Do you have any recommendations for hardmounts that are more or less plug and play for guys like me?

Dls79

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Retired
OP, you can use the UV5R to communicate on GMRS. The Baofengs are decent comms. Please call buytwowayradios.com on Monday. The are extremely good people and extremely knowledgeable. Trust me on this. Call buytwowayradios.com and do what they tell you. You are getting frustrated because you are in way over your head. It’s ok, I was also and so was my friend who has the Baofeng and he has been an Expert HAM for over 30 years.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP, you can use the UV5R to communicate on GMRS. The Baofengs are decent comms. Please call buytwowayradios.com on Monday. The are extremely good people and extremely knowledgeable. Trust me on this. Call buytwowayradios.com and do what they tell you. You are getting frustrated because you are in way over your head. It’s ok, I was also and so was my friend who has the Baofeng and he has been an Expert HAM for over 30 years.
Per FCC rules the Baofeng UV-5R is not legal to use on GMRS or FRS. Any legal GMRS or FRS radio must have FCC part 95 certification and the UV-5R does not! It will work fine there but any store that recommends that you use it there should be avoided. That's not any different than a Jeep dealer recommending you use red deiseal (non road taxed for farm equipment) in your new diesel Gladiator on the highway.

Dls79

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You are correct.and you are probably aware that certain Baofeng radios that were once sold in the US are no longer suitable for importation because of this issue. I in no way implied that the OP should circumvent and laws, rules or policies of the FCC. That is exactly why the OP should seek known, verifiable and valid information.

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you for this! Do you have any recommendations for hardmounts that are more or less plug and play for guys like me?
I don't have any first hand experience with GMRS only radios to make an honest recommendation. I use Motorola and Harris commercial radios, which I don't recommend for a non radio geek. You might ask some of the Midland GMRS users here how they like their radios.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Some FRS handhelds have extra "channels" which are just the same old channels with some preset "privacy" codes selected. If they choose, say, channel 29, then you will have to find out what combination of actual channel (1-22) and privacy code it really is, and that may depend on brand.

FRS/GMRS combined channel chart

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I've come to learn these radios aren't allowed to talk to GMRS and FRS, which is why I posted this - because everyone here recommends these radios but there's no way they actually work. At least not talking to anything other than a HAM.
You’ve come to learn wrong. These radios - the specific model you mention - support GMRS and FRS but you need to do some legwork to get them to work. Whether this is legal or not is a whole other hill of beans (they’re not).

If you don’t want to learn that is fine, no one will care, you can buy a shrink-wrapped FRS from Walmart and it will work fine. The Baofeng radios aren’t for you, but they are powerful and perfect for many many happy GMRS scofflaws.

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I agree with the "just buy some bubble wrap radios from Walmart or Amazon" ideas presented earlier.
The older baofeng radios will transmit on gmrs freqs, but the newer ones may not (not positive on this) since they came under some scrutiny lately. There are mobile gmrs radios you can buy that should work as is. I would recommend to ask around to those you ride the trails with and see what they use.

P.S. I have a complete ham radio set up in my jeep (hf, 2m,440), but also have a pair of the gmrs bubble wrap radios for when out wheeling with my sister since she is not a ham or radio geek. The little gmrs walki-talkies work fine out to a mile or so.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I agree with the "just buy some bubble wrap radios from Walmart or Amazon" ideas presented earlier.
The older baofeng radios will transmit on gmrs freqs, but the newer ones may not (not positive on this) since they came under some scrutiny lately. There are mobile gmrs radios you can buy that should work as is. I would recommend to ask around to those you ride the trails with and see what they use.

P.S. I have a complete ham radio set up in my jeep (hf, 2m,440), but also have a pair of the gmrs bubble wrap radios for when out wheeling with my sister since she is not a ham or radio geek. The little gmrs walki-talkies work fine out to a mile or so.

Good luck.
I think the new ones are capable as well, just not out of the box. I reprogrammed mine via Chirp and I'm an idiot when it comes to radios, so I believe it's doable. Though, as has been mentioned, it doesn't have the particular certification to legally transmit on those freqs (which I would never do...).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
-sigh- Ok. But I thought those bubble wrap radios were FRS, and didn't work on the GMRS frequencies? How do I know, if I'm buying some bubble wrap radios that they'll talk to both FRS and GMRS?

I am so confused. This is ridiculous.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
-sigh- Ok. But I thought those bubble wrap radios were FRS, and didn't work on the GMRS frequencies? How do I know, if I'm buying some bubble wrap radios that they'll talk to both FRS and GMRS?

I am so confused. This is ridiculous.
They should tell you what freqs they operate on. I would think being that they're regulated by the FCC.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I normally tell folks to grab the Motorola T200 / T600 series handhelds. They are simple to use, can be had at many sporting goods stores and use AAA batteries or a battery pack. They are SIMPLE and will work on all the channels you need to go on a ride with folks. They are also much more durable than most of the CCR stuff out there.

Also all FRS/GMRS radios are the same since 2017. The new rules combined all the channels.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I normally tell folks to grab the Motorola T200 / T600 series handhelds. They are simple to use, can be had at many sporting goods stores and use AAA batteries or a battery pack. They are SIMPLE and will work on all the channels you need to go on a ride with folks. They are also much more durable than most of the CCR stuff out there.

Also all FRS/GMRS radios are the same since 2017. The new rules combined all the channels.
Thanks, I'll pick up a pair of them then.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a 2pack in each jeep under the seat. I even found a 12v charger (micro usb) so i can throw one on charge in the jeep. I have mobiles in both our jeeps but these are nice to jump out of the jeep and use while laying in mud or what not also. Just hose them off before i pack them back up at the end of the day.
Sponsored