How much do the hard top pieces weigh?

hikernbackpacker

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Dodge Ram 1500
I have done some searching online to no avail so thought I would ask the question here. I don't own a Gladiator at this time, am thinking about it, and if I do get one would want one with the hard top pieces that can be removed.

I know that the front hard top is in two separate pieces and the back is a single piece. I have seen some information online that mentioned to remove/replace the back piece you would need a hoist due to its weight. I am curious as to how much does each of the front pieces weigh and how much does the back piece weigh?
Sponsored

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Quoting Benny from AllMoparParts.com in another thread-
Rear hardtop section 56lbs
Both freedom panels 45lbs

These are approx. numbers issued by mopar more for packaging needs so they may not be exact.
It's more awkward than heavy. There's no real good way for one person to grab it- I usually go for one hand at the front and the other through the open rear window while standing in the bed. But it leaves you bending over at a difficult angle for your lower back. And then you need to figure out how to step down out of the bed. Two people makes it a lot easier to move around.

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The main section comes in at just under 60lbs. I used a Racor hoist for the hard top on my Wrangler JKU which weights about 140lbs. So it should be a breeze with the JT hard top with our without the hoist.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I would say that the two hardtop pieces on the front weigh about 20 pounds each. I'm guessing, I haven't weighed them but they are easy to manipulate.

You don't need a hoist to remove the rear top. Me and my son removed it easily by standing on each side and lifting it up, after taking the bolts out. It weighs about 70 pounds, enough for it to be very awkward to try to do it with only one person. It's fairly easy with two people.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I usually go for one hand at the front and the other through the open rear window while standing in the bed. But it leaves you bending over at a difficult angle for your lower bac
Exactly. The one time I took mine off to install a headliner, I felt it in my back for days. Be careful if removing by yourself.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
OP
OP

hikernbackpacker

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Dodge Ram 1500
Thanks everyone for the informative replies, all the information was helpful and very much appreciated.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Used/new in box/ aftermarket soft tops ate not hard to find. Usually around $1K. Now I only need to worry about changing tops twice a year. More than a few have gone to soft top year round

That “one man top removal with rack” looks hard on the paint. There’s another method involving rocking the HT backwards onto a hard tonneau cover

Sponsored

gladicanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator Willys
Weights are listed above. I'd say it's not that difficult to remove by one man, I've never needed help or taken more than a couple of minutes (worst thing is putting it back on and lining up all the screws perfectly), but that is without a rack to get in the way, and with the reach of being 6'2 - if you've got other things blocking it, or don't have the reach then two people or a hoist would certainly make it easier.

OP
OP

hikernbackpacker

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Dodge Ram 1500
I kind of wish I'd of selected the dual top option.
I have heard of that option but am not familiar with it. Does that indicate it comes with all the hardware for both hard and soft top so that you can change with the season?

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I have heard of that option but am not familiar with it. Does that indicate it comes with all the hardware for both hard and soft top so that you can change with the season?
Yes.
Sponsored