Sponsored

How much snow should be on ground before using 4x4

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Its all about tires. Buy some quality winter tires...studded if you can and winter is 100% more enjoyable. I dont care how "good" you think your AT or MT tires are. This is coming from the great white north.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Its all about tires. Buy some quality winter tires...studded if you can and winter is 100% more enjoyable. I dont care how "good" you think your AT or MT tires are. This is coming from the great white north.
Some places they aren't legal. They also care destructive on the highways here making ice and snow removal more difficult.
Metal studs are prohibited in several states including Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Wisconsin
And if you've ever had them thrown out at your own vehicle - or into another, not fun.

I can see their need in some areas. Especially where snow and ice cover is more common and predictable. I don't think I've seen studded tires in Iowa in decades.

Around here there are times when you go a month with no snow, then you have 2 months of nothing but snow. Studs aren't practical here.
One has to choose depending on where they live, the local conditions, driving frequency and snow and ice frequency.
The DOT strongly recommends against them and has found that they actually contributed to accidents and damage.
https://iowadot.gov/research/reports/Year/2003andolder/abstracts/hr148.pdf

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Some places they aren't legal. They also care destructive on the highways here making ice and snow removal more difficult.
Metal studs are prohibited in several states including Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Wisconsin
And if you've ever had them thrown out at your own vehicle - or into another, not fun.

I can see their need in some areas. Especially where snow and ice cover is more common and predictable. I don't think I've seen studded tires in Iowa in decades.

Around here there are times when you go a month with no snow, then you have 2 months of nothing but snow. Studs aren't practical here.
One has to choose depending on where they live, the local conditions, driving frequency and snow and ice frequency.
The DOT strongly recommends against them and has found that they actually contributed to accidents and damage.
https://iowadot.gov/research/reports/Year/2003andolder/abstracts/hr148.pdf
Great. I'm not in Iowa. Thanks for the lesson on studs.

If you can't use studs then just use a dedicated winter tire.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Great. I'm not in Iowa. Thanks for the lesson on studs.

If you can't use studs then just use a dedicated winter tire.
Isn't a snow rated tire required in parts of 🇨🇦? Smart people up there.

Sponsored

Cobraj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
computer field service
Just had my gladiator sport s out in 14 inches of snow it handled very well. having a lot of fun driving around my town till a cop pulled beside and told me to go home!
Just had my gladiator sport s out in 14 inches of snow it handled very well. having a lot of fun driving around my town till a cop pulled beside and told me to go home!
How was I to know they had a driving ban! should not apply to jeeps!

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
In Minnesota a lot of places sold these 'tubes' of sand. I would generally get 2 and place them over the rear wheels. Obviously more is better for traction, but then you are chewing up a lot of mpg and bed space. Also, those were 'small' trucks (s10/ranger), so didn't want to weigh them down too much or throw off the headlight lines
I have 2 60 lbd bags, one over each wheel well ..it helps to have some weight in the back.. of course good tires.. at least AT that are winter rated helps too

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I should have my daughter drive in 4wd all the time. Maybe then she wouldn't read end so many cars.
take the phone away! LOL why do kids feel the need to drive as fast as they can to a stop sign? HAHAHA

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I have 2 60 lbd bags, one over each wheel well ..it helps to have some weight in the back.. of course good tires.. at least AT that are winter rated helps too
my grandfather used to use a cast iron steam radiator he kept after they replaced all the 1920's steam radiator system for the hot water radiator system. That thing was 150lbs easy. He used it in his AMC Matador wagon. That this had manual brakes and manual steering and a power tailgate window! The steering wheel was part of the brake system cause you had to use it for leverage to get a good push on the brakes
Sponsored

Last edited: