Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Culinary Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all, wanted to take a minute and say hello and ask some questions. I'm not a JT owner, I'm driving a 2016 F150 XLT; it's currently in the shop after a fender bender, and the rental my insurance provided me is a Gladiator - basic Sport with the three piece hard top. I've always been intrigued by it, so was pretty excited to see it show up. Been tooling around in it the better part of a week, and it's growing on me - enough so that I went down the interwebs rabbit hole of looking for info on it (and even checking out inventory at local dealers). Found that I'm partial to the Overland model - I'm not looking for serious off-roading, this would be my daily drive (about 50 miles RT each day, give or take), and my better half likes the bells and whistles. I even found one I like locally (Overland with tow package, 3 piece top, upgraded audio, auto transmission), but to paraphrase one Jimmy Buffett, I have "questions that bother me so," so figured no better place to go than to find some experts - that's how I ended up here. So...if you're so inclined to help a non-Jeeper out...

1. LIfting/tires - as I said, don't need need serious 4x4 capabilities, but as is, it's a little low for my taste (coming from a guy who has been driving Ram 1500 or F150's for close to 30 years, so used to being up higher). I like the 18x7.5 granite crystal wheels on the model I'm looking at, but the 255/70r18s are a little smaller than I'd like. Seems like I'd want to add a 2" lift and some slightly bigger tires, maybe 275/75 or so (or any suggestions y'all might have). Any thoughts on that? Also, would it be better to get the dealer to add the Mopar lift before I took delivery, or go to another shop?
2. Towing - I've got a 19' bay boat on a single axle aluminium trailer; from what I'm calculating, if I loaded up the fuel tank, I'm probably around 3500 lbs back there. The model in question has the tow package (not the max tow), so everything looks like I'd have zero issues, but wanted to see if anyone is pulling something similar. Most tow distance is under 50 miles, but I live in Central FLA, so occasionally, I tow down to the West Palm area, over near Sanibel/Captiva, or once in a while to the Keys. Seems like I"d have no issues, but...
3. Bedliner/tonneau - Similar to lift, better to get the dealer to do these, or go aftermarket?
4. Anything else I should be thinking of? What about adding soft top? Something I should consider?

Thanks in advance for indulging a non-Jeep guy. I don't know if this will pan out (I got the evil eye from the wife for just mentioning this), but who knows? I might could be joining your ranks one of these days. Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited:

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!
Keep in mind that I'm new at this and the following is from about a month of JT experience.

1. I'm not much help there. I like the stock. :)

2. You'll be fine with 3,500 lbs on the regular towing package. Keep in mind that some mods like bigger tires and lift may reduce capacity.

3. When I bought mine my dealer actually told me to check out aftermarket bed covers unless I absolutely wanted it to be a Jeep/Mopar product. I did that and I'm glad.

4. For me, I think the hard top with a Bestop Sunrider is the winning combination. It's best of both worlds in my humble opinion.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
If you forsee ever needing to exceed the top requirements & your not in a hurry you can get all the same features on a Sport S with Max Tow.. The lower gearing may be worth it alone if you see that ever being an issue.

And these things have big fenders openings. While a lift is fine, you absolutely dont need one for 33" tires like the 275\75r18

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got 33's installed on mine and is a little higher than stock...no need for lift...if you want it a little higher you could go with a 2" spacer to give you a little higher stance. I absolutely love my overland version...I'm not towing a boat or anything of that weight but definitely would recommend a brake controller (no OEM...yet) but lots of aftermarket ones out there, and get stabilizers, they will aid in the drop in the rear when towing, regardless of model (JMHO)

OP
OP
sbach66

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!
Keep in mind that I'm new at this and the following is from about a month of JT experience.

1. I'm not much help there. I like the stock. :)

2. You'll be fine with 3,500 lbs on the regular towing package. Keep in mind that some mods like bigger tires and lift may reduce capacity.

3. When I bought mine my dealer actually told me to check out aftermarket bed covers unless I absolutely wanted it to be a Jeep/Mopar product. I did that and I'm glad.

4. For me, I think the hard top with a Bestop Sunrider is the winning combination. It's best of both worlds in my humble opinion.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
sbach66

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you forsee ever needing to exceed the top requirements & your not in a hurry you can get all the same features on a Sport S with Max Tow.. The lower gearing may be worth it alone if you see that ever being an issue.

And these things have big fenders openings. While a lift is fine, you absolutely dont need one for 33" tires like the 275\75r18
Thanks. After digging around some more, I played around with building a Sport S with Max Tow, and found one about 75 miles down the road that has everything I want. It does have the 17" wheels, of course, but bigger tires due to Max. Wondering if I could go up to 33" on that without a lift.

Thanks again.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
On the tonneau, I am not a fan of the tri-fold setup. Some like it, I just don't. I have the Bak Revolver X4 and love it. Sits as flush as you can get, locks the full length of the top, doesn't block the window when open all the way, and doesn't eat bed space like the expensive fancy retractable covers.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks. After digging around some more, I played around with building a Sport S with Max Tow, and found one about 75 miles down the road that has everything I want. It does have the 17" wheels, of course, but bigger tires due to Max. Wondering if I could go up to 33" on that without a lift.

Thanks again.
Shouldn't be any issue at all to do 33s on stock.

OP
OP
sbach66

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got 33's installed on mine and is a little higher than stock...no need for lift...if you want it a little higher you could go with a 2" spacer to give you a little higher stance. I absolutely love my overland version...I'm not towing a boat or anything of that weight but definitely would recommend a brake controller (no OEM...yet) but lots of aftermarket ones out there, and get stabilizers, they will aid in the drop in the rear when towing, regardless of model (JMHO)
Thanks. My boat trailer has surge brakes, no electric brakes, and don't see me upgrading my boat at any point in the future to need a controller, but would definitely think about it if I upgraded my trailer. Thanks again!

OP
OP
sbach66

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On the tonneau, I am not a fan of the tri-fold setup. Some like it, I just don't. I have the Bak Revolver X4 and love it. Sits as flush as you can get, locks the full length of the top, doesn't block the window when open all the way, and doesn't eat bed space like the expensive fancy retractable covers.
Thanks, not a fan of the tri folds either. My F150 has a rollup that I installed after I got it, much prefer that. If I pull this off, I'll look at the Revolver.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks, not a fan of the tri folds either. My F150 has a rollup that I installed after I got it, much prefer that. If I pull this off, I'll look at the Revolver.
They are very strong, aluminum bars the full length, and a locking tab on each side that notches into each bar the full length down.

Jeep Gladiator Howdy! 1597422084644

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks again.
Overall stock tire size is about the same I believe. But yes 33's without a problem on stock height. I leveled my Max Tow (1.5" up in front left about 1/2" of rake) and had 35's. If your towing often I would say 3/4" up in the front would look better then stock & still leave plenty of rake for towing. Should still be enough for even the 35's if you wanted to. Take off Rubicon wheels & tires can be found pretty cheap in most areas & if you keep an eye out Overaland take off's as well so you can always go back to those if you want.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
Wondering if I could go up to 33" on that without a lift.
Our sons max tow....

Everything is STOCK except the following......

33" Rubicon wheels and tires (Free)
N-Fab steps ($400 Amazon)
Gladiator hood sticker ($20 Amazon)

Ive been told and seen here on line, this is the biggest tire size you can go without a lift on any of the trims except the Rubicon. A Rubicon can take a 35" tire with stock suspension (my other two) but need a lift for 37's.

Hope this helps

Jeep Gladiator Howdy! IMG_2121

Jeep Gladiator Howdy! IMG_2281

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I also went with the overland for the bells and whistles. The main one being ACC. My commute isn’t anywhere near yours, but on the longer drives I’ve taken, the ACC is amazing. I ended up putting 275/70/18 KO2’s on mine and it’s added around an inch of height. If I weren’t leasing, I’d definitely have added the Mopar lift. Here’s mine with the 33’s on.
Also, there’s a disesel version that they are taking orders on now. Should get ya better gas mileage.

Jeep Gladiator Howdy! E4565040-6B85-4EB3-9C3F-407567AEF7E4

DA5487E2-D49A-42BF-992D-AA5480AF2D04.jpeg

MVP89

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you like the hardtop and prefer to not remove it I suggest you get the Sunrider for the hardtop. It is next best thing to a full soft top and you don't need to remove the hardtop. Super ez to install and it takes 2 seconds to open/close the Sunrider. However, back seat passengers remain under the hardtop if that matters. My dog rides in the back and he prefers the shade. I put 275/65R18 Ridge Grapplers on my Overland and they look bigger than the stock H/T tires but really the Grappler are almost the same diameter and to me they maintain the stock ride feel. Lastly I have the Rugged Ridge trifold hard tonnaeu cover and I love it. It is one of the only tri-folds that allow the 3rd panel to lift up and be held in place vertically with support arms which gives me full bed access and I can drive with the cover in the up postiion if needed for bigger loads.

Jeep Gladiator XD820 and Nitto.jpg
Sponsored