Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Oil Field (Retired Infantry Marine)
Vehicle Showcase
cool idea, could see issues with any water or mud finding its way between the panel and windshield though making it difficult to see.
this comes right off easily and I only use for highway driving, I agree mud would find its way between

OP
OP
Gladiation

Gladiation

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Neat idea simple and relatively inexpensive. I think if I were to make one I would want industrial cam lock suction cups to hold and it foam seals around. I would probably use a AR polycarbonate or acrylic. Acrylic is clearer but more scratch resistant but more likely to crack. AR polycarbonate is stronger but more prone to scratches. I'm guessing you must have adhesive backed velcro so the suction cups would eliminate the goo and need to have velcro permanently fixed to the windshield. Foam would help keep debris from getting between the 2 surfaces. Wiper use would likely not be recommending without some modifications.
I actually use the wipers with no issue. Yes the sticky 3m velcro is being used, I thought of the suction cup but it puts too much distance/gap between shield and window, less gap equals less movement. I was trying to come as close as possible to a phone screen protector. Im sure a better way can be done but I did this for about $25. so it works for me. I did accidentally drive through a car wash with them on and one off them was tore off and destroyed so lesson learned

OP
OP
Gladiation

Gladiation

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We've had rock chips and sometimes cracks in about half of our vehicles. Two of my wife's Grand Cherokees over the years ended up with new windshield, my F250 cracked clean across the middle after a rock chip and using defrost one really cold day, my SX4 has a chip repaired by safelite, my WJ has a chip repaired by same, I'm sure I'm leaving one or two out.

Good question on the glass - doe the replacements have that Jeep image in the lower right corner?
I never replaced this windshield because I made this shield in advance knowing how risky the oil field is especially since my camaro has had multiple cracks out here and many years ago my other two rubicons seemed to attract rock chips with that steep angle windshield. I did discover another easter egg though....on the hood near the windshield just above hood there is an image of two sandals...shoes...

OP
OP
Gladiation

Gladiation

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does that include an OEM windshield that has the cool little Jeep decal?[/QUO
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wondered that with the concentration on long videos. Just a guess.

My fear in Iowa - wind ripping it off........

So you have to put Velcro on the glass? Hmm, wonder how that works scraping ice and snow off in the winter - have to be clear out at the edges of the glass.
yes velcro made by 3m so it has a sticky side but im realizing i didnt need to use such big pieces of velcro because the wind alone pushes the shield towards the windshield and it would be even better if i cut those pieces smaller. I spent $25

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiation

Gladiation

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why the word "Patent" in the thread title?
I meant to put a question mark after that, as if to ask if I should patent, but honestly I could care less I just want my windshield to be safe, I have zero desire to do the work for that. Funny story, my dad in the early 80's showed me this invention he came up with, he was a carpenter, he carved a Y shape object and said son this is to hold the gas nozzle so you wont have to use your hand...no kidding like maybe a month later gas stations had started adding those levers that lock the nozzle and someone had long beat him too it...lol

OP
OP
Gladiation

Gladiation

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a patent on it you should get insurance for it as well
No patent, just want a crack free windshield.....maybe a thataboy to make me feel a little smarter.lol
Sponsored