I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Or I can lend you a marksman first one is the sbr in 5.56 I had put on my conceal carry, still having a hard time trying to cc it?? Second is range day with my boy and his red rider

EA97A9E0-1466-41DB-95F4-0E3E44B4D402.jpeg

072F3BBB-2FCF-48B2-B43E-5187FCAB21A2.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Me personally I use a 17hmr or a 22 long rifle. Notify your close neighbor that you are having a varmint issue and that he/she may hear a gunshot. Ensure them you are being very careful and contentious of your trajectory.
The positive of any of this is - they are up a bit of a hill to our east. The critters, when I SEE them, are south of the house, It's thick woods and brush back there (no people, no houses). Even to the west, there's nothing to hit - except over 50 yards of dense trees and brush.
I won't fire even a pellet gun toward the east - their house, vehicles, and LP tank - even a ricochet could be bad.
If anything that I'm after goes their direction, I walk away, call it "out of range", whatever. No critter is worth it.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Just curious... have you verified that shooting a raccoon on your property is legal?
I'm always paranoid about ending up on an episode of "North Woods Law" for shooting the wrong color squirrel or something.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Oh, okay. Noise isnt an issue now. Just get this and be done with it. You dont even have to aim really. Instant fertilizer too.

Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice 20220507_001419

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to up your game. Need to kill them at the edge of the property. Put some bait out there. Sit back and nail them at long range. I use a .338 LM with 300 gr Serria match bullets.

Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice 20220507_001419

Hey rusty, is that the shooting range at French Creek?

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Suppressed .22 rifle or pistol if you are handy. Use a red dot scope with adjustable brightness. I've been eliminating pests with my Ruger Mk II for years. Take a look at the Ruger Charger too.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious... have you verified that shooting a raccoon on your property is legal?
I'm always paranoid about ending up on an episode of "North Woods Law" for shooting the wrong color squirrel or something.
If you own or are a tenant on the property, it is legal to trap and relocate or "euthanize" nuisance animals. They are not protected, and their population has been "stable or on the rise in Iowa since the 1980s"
You aren't supposed to use poison, or drown. They consider drowning inhumane (makes sense, it takes a while and the animal is in panic mode)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever you choose, let me know if you need any accessories. I have a lot of miscellaneous gun accessories. I bought out a business liquidation a few years back and still have a lot of stuff. I dont even know what I have. Mostly UTG stuff, not high end but does what's it's supposed to for the price point. Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll go through it.

20220608_182757.jpg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you choose, let me know if you need any accessories. I have a lot of miscellaneous gun accessories. I bought out a business liquidation a few years back and still have a lot of stuff. I dont even know what I have. Mostly UTG stuff, not high end but does what's it's supposed to for the price point. Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll go through it.

Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice 20220608_182757
Wow, that's like me buying up old parts - a guy collected old AMC dealership parts stocks and kept things in a ware house in Florida. The warehouse owner wanted his warehouse back for another purpose so the guy had to sell his parts inventory fast. I bought every piece of charging system stuff he had, along with some other electric stuff.
Another guy in Europe has been selling his AMC dealership stock he bought years ago and has been selling it off. A few months ago I sent him a list of stuff I wanted - basically anything for charging systems, starters or wipers that he had. It's taken him months to get it all together.

Anyway, I'm taking in all info gathered here, along with what I've looked up and will at least be working from a better place making hopefully a better decision.
In some ways it might be nice to have both - a better pellet air rifle, and a 22.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The UTG Super Slim handguards for AR's were a revelation ten years ago, people still remark how concise and efficient they are. Used them for a number of my builds.

Lots of made in USA stuff from them, as well. I appreciate good value, not cheap stuff!

Aaaaandd, I just realized I haven't built an AR in over six years......I'm old.

Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice 20220608_182757

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I just remembered an important detail, if you add a scope to a pellet gun, it MUST be rated for the recoil of an air rifle. Many high end scopes now are, but it wasn't unusual to destroy a decent scope on an air rifle back in the day.

Wow, that's like me buying up old parts - a guy collected old AMC dealership parts stocks and kept things in a ware house in Florida. The warehouse owner wanted his warehouse back for another purpose so the guy had to sell his parts inventory fast. I bought every piece of charging system stuff he had, along with some other electric stuff.
Another guy in Europe has been selling his AMC dealership stock he bought years ago and has been selling it off. A few months ago I sent him a list of stuff I wanted - basically anything for charging systems, starters or wipers that he had. It's taken him months to get it all together.

Anyway, I'm taking in all info gathered here, along with what I've looked up and will at least be working from a better place making hopefully a better decision.
In some ways it might be nice to have both - a better pellet air rifle, and a 22.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
A well lubricated good pellet rifle can be as loud as a 22, and as expensive. With a 22 you could use subsonic rounds and not be very irritating from inside a room.
These are great for pest control, and for where you’re planning on firing from.
Yup. .22 sub + a bolt action rifle. The closed action helps to keep the noise down somewhat.

My auto loader is fairly noisy even with subsonic and a suppressor. Someone 100’ away might hear it and know what you’re up to. If your neighbor is “cool” and you know what you’re doing, you’re probably ok.

My last neighborhood had a huge groundhog problem. I trapped a few, but my dog ended up getting the majority of them.

Keep in mind though that .22 subsonic doesn’t pack much of a punch. If you shoot a critter, don’t hit it just right, and it runs off and dies somewhere, you might have an issue on your hands.

Edit: If you decide to get a suppressor
go ahead and order a .308 and .45 can while you’re at it.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap those Raccoons in that video are FAT!!!!

What about Archery? A Crossbow would be silent and with a broad head take them out

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap those Raccoons in that video are FAT!!!!

What about Archery? A Crossbow would be silent and with a broad head take them out
They'll get huge when there's plenty of food. The boars can get really big anyway.
Sponsored