Fellow Handymen, I Need Some Help!

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
A wooden 2x2 (a 2x4 sawed in half lengthwise). You attach it to the middle of the studs on either side, set back 1/2" from the front of the studs. That gives you something to attach the plywood to.
Maybe this is a better way to explain it. Cut the plywood to fit between the studs, then attach the 2x2s to back on each end of the plywood. Put the plywood in place and use screws to attach it, through the studs into the 2x2.
Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Who installed the original box to begin with? That is a face mounted pancake box that is supposed to be mounted right on the front face of the stud with at least two screws, there are a couple extra knockouts out , cable clamp is missing, the bracket used is one leg of four required to mount a recessed light in ceiling. It's an electrical part but not for what you are doing. If you can move the box over to stud two inches use a new version of what you have ground the box, clamp the wire and screw it to the stud with number ten by 2" screws, or you can get a box with a side mount bracket on it and screw it to side of stud, and end up in exact place you are now. Take a ride to Home Depot and look around at the metal boxes you will see what you need cost for box is probably $4.00. The bracket bar you were shown is for holding plumbing pipes not electrical boxes.
Just get the right part and use it, I'm an electrician, we are a pretty anal bunch, but not as bad as your insurance company , or code officers if they saw that. Electricians doing work, even if unlicensed are responsible for their work, if done wrong or Half-Ass forever.
I'm a Master electrician and a manger of a electrical division, and I buried John H. ,one of my foreman cause of someones poor work done in 1995, and we found him 24 years later!
Improperly mounted box no cable clamp can result in trouble, just do it right...Jack
Thanks for the info. This house is new, only 3 years old. This was installed by DR Horton, terrible builders IMO. I will look into your recommendations now. Thanks

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Who installed the original box to begin with? That is a face mounted pancake box that is supposed to be mounted right on the front face of the stud with at least two screws, there are a couple extra knockouts out , cable clamp is missing, the bracket used is one leg of four required to mount a recessed light in ceiling. It's an electrical part but not for what you are doing. If you can move the box over to stud two inches use a new version of what you have ground the box, clamp the wire and screw it to the stud with number ten by 2" screws, or you can get a box with a side mount bracket on it and screw it to side of stud, and end up in exact place you are now. Take a ride to Home Depot and look around at the metal boxes you will see what you need cost for box is probably $4.00. The bracket bar you were shown is for holding plumbing pipes not electrical boxes.
Just get the right part and use it, I'm an electrician, we are a pretty anal bunch, but not as bad as your insurance company , or code officers if they saw that. Electricians doing work, even if unlicensed are responsible for their work, if done wrong or Half-Ass forever.
I'm a Master electrician and a manger of a electrical division, and I buried John H. ,one of my foreman cause of someones poor work done in 1995, and we found him 24 years later!
Improperly mounted box no cable clamp can result in trouble, just do it right...Jack

Is this it?

0949568B-B504-4863-AB47-FC18C41C2295.png

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Bingo! Three year old house....wow!