I'm in love...but

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, as I said, it was 18 MPG average for 1000 miles of highway driving. I got 24 on the same trip returning, with no trailer. Do you believe that? (EPA rating is 23 highway). I have a stock Overland, with the stock highway tires.

I wonder why some folks insist that since they have not experienced X, then X is not possible for anyone else.
You must have a unicorn then...out.
Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
If your thinking about going with 35s or 37s in the future splurge for the Rubicon to get the 4.10 gears. 4.10s are only available with the manual on the Rubicon. It will save you 2k+ not having to regear!
Just unpacking this a little....Splurging for a Rubicon is more money than regearing.
Your second sentence is confusing.....If you want a manual with 4.10's, only factory option is a Rubicon. Hope that helps. ;)

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
Just to provide an update on my situation. I decided not to get the Jeep, even though I think I negotiated a pretty good deal ($33,500 OTD for 6spd Willys sport with hardtop, bedliner, tow package, aux and smokers groups, and satellite - would have been $28k post trade). It's not because of the towing capacity, or any other item of functionality. In the end, and I didn't find this out until I was about to jump in the 4Runner to head to the dealership, my insurance company wanted to charge me 2x (i) per 6 months what I am paying for the 4Runner, which (IMO) is a much "nicer" (I love the Jeep, don't get me wring) vehicle, worth a lot more, etc. I tried another insurance company and it was even higher!

I guess I have a line drawn in the sand on what I am willing to pay for insurance coverage and both quotes I received went far beyond that line. One of the agents I spoke with told me it was a function of the Gladiator being such a new production vehicle. With no history on actual repair costs, she explained, they charge more to cover the risk. She said it could go down in the future as they get real repair data over the years.

I'll keep the 4Runner for now, and its relatively cheap 6-month insurance rate. I will always be thinking of the Gladiator, however, and one day may pull the trigger.

You guys have been great. Best of luck!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just to provide an update on my situation. I decided not to get the Jeep, even though I think I negotiated a pretty good deal ($33,500 OTD for 6spd Willys sport with hardtop, bedliner, tow package, aux and smokers groups, and satellite - would have been $28k post trade). It's not because of the towing capacity, or any other item of functionality. In the end, and I didn't find this out until I was about to jump in the 4Runner to head to the dealership, my insurance company wanted to charge me 2x (i) per 6 months what I am paying for the 4Runner, which (IMO) is a much "nicer" (I love the Jeep, don't get me wring) vehicle, worth a lot more, etc. I tried another insurance company and it was even higher!

I guess I have a line drawn in the sand on what I am willing to pay for insurance coverage and both quotes I received went far beyond that line. One of the agents I spoke with told me it was a function of the Gladiator being such a new production vehicle. With no history on actual repair costs, she explained, they charge more to cover the risk. She said it could go down in the future as they get real repair data over the years.

I'll keep the 4Runner for now, and its relatively cheap 6-month insurance rate. I will always be thinking of the Gladiator, however, and one day may pull the trigger.

You guys have been great. Best of luck!
After all we put into this thread . . .:(

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I live in Florida where insurance rates are above average. In addition, my JT is insured as a business vehicle, so limits are higher. My insurance on the JT is about $1000 every six months.

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
I live in Florida where insurance rates are above average. In addition, my JT is insured as a business vehicle, so limits are higher. My insurance on the JT is about $1000 every six months.
Yeah.... that's bananas. I am around $380 / 6 months on the 4runner.
Sponsored