Sponsored

I'm in love...but

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
So I just test drove a 2021 Wills Sport. 6spd, all black, bed liner, tow package, aux switches, AND none of the safety bells and whistles that I despise (more on this below).

I will be trading in a 2020 4 runner auto. I miss the truck bed and want a manual.

That said, I don't know if I would make the switch for anything but a manual 6sp (which the Willys Sport is), which I very much miss. However, I have a camper that I love and really need to make sure that the manual Willys will be able to pull it safely.

The camper is a Casita 17SD, weighing in at about 2,500 lbs dry. There are many blog posts on trailer weights in the real world (as opposed to published dry weights), and I think it's safe to assume that, fully loaded, the trailer is probably about 3,250 lbs, with a tongue weight approaching 400lbs.

The Willys comes in at 4,000 lb towing capacity, and 400 lb tongue weight. This would seem to be okay, though I understand it is getting close to the limit.

Does anyone have experience with a similar set up on a manual? Any thoughts on the setup I propose above? Honestly, if the truck and trailer are not a perfect match, I might consider finding a lighter weight trailer, but I would rather not. I won't be towing extensively - maybe 3-4x per year. I do have a weight distribution hitch, which should help. And, of course, will run electric brakes.

Man... I love that WIllys!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
You'll want a lighter trailer. How far will you be towing it?
Also, I have seen many posts in various forums about towing the same trailer with a Honda Odyssey, with great results. That vehicle is only rated 3500 / 350. What am I missing....

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I donā€™t really want to be limited. Do you have experience with a similar setup?
My MT Rubicon does fine with utility trailers, even with a decent load. I have a couple of boats with weight similar to your trailer, and it does OK with them....but not great. In particular, reversing up hill is tough......I've gotten whiffs of clutch a couple of times because you have to slip the heck out of the clutch to get going. I also don't tow either boat very far, but I imagine that 5th/6th gear would be useless.

I plan on re-gearing to 4.88's, which should help.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
My MT Rubicon does fine with utility trailers, even with a decent load. I have a couple of boats with weight similar to your trailer, and it does OK with them....but not great. In particular, reversing up hill is tough......I've gotten whiffs of clutch a couple of times because you have to slip the heck out of the clutch to get going. I also don't tow either boat very far, but I imagine that 5th/6th gear would be useless.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I donā€™t really want to be limited. Do you have experience with a similar setup?
No, but the stock gearing will feel sluggish, and you'll be towing at 80%, which is a conservative estimate.

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...

The Willy has 32s and stock sport gears. What would be an ideal regear in your opinion to improve towing?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have an Overland 6-speed, same towing capacity as Willys of 4000 lbs.

I towed once with it so far: a Honda Civic on a U-Haul tow dolly. The tow dolly had surge brakes.

The Honda had a few things in it; I calculated the total weight of the Honda & tow dolly at 3500 lbs, about 88% of the maximum allowable.

Was my wife and I plus two cats and normal luggage in the Overland. The trip was nearly 1000 miles on I-95 and other highways. I can report that the Overland handled it beautifully in every respect, including starts. The short 1st gear helped there. I was even able to use 5th gear on level portions of highway; downshifted to 4th on hills. There were no sway issues. I got 18 mpg towing.

I know your camper is a different deal; the weight is similar but it would be more subject to side winds. I am just reporting my experience in case it is helpful.

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
I have an Overland 6-speed, same towing capacity as Willys of 4000 lbs.

I towed once with it so far: a Honda Civic on a U-Haul tow dolly. The tow dolly had surge brakes.

The Honda had a few things in it; I calculated the total weight of the Honda & tow dolly at 3500 lbs, about 88% of the maximum allowable.

Was my wife and I plus two cats and normal luggage in the Overland. The trip was nearly 1000 miles on I-95 and other highways. I can report that the Overland handled it beautifully in every respect, including starts. The short 1st gear helped there. I was even able to use 5th gear on level portions of highway; downshifted to 4th on hills. There were no sway issues. I got 18 mpg towing.

I know your camper is a different deal; the weight is similar but it would be more subject to side winds. I am just reporting my experience in case it is helpful.
Much appreciated.

Sponsored

Sawburner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Steel Fabrication
I have a dump trailer that I pulled with a JKU with a MT loaded it weighed 3400 pounds it did fine even at 70 mph. I also pulled a vintage camper with it. You rarely use sixth on the interstate. I now have a Willys Gladiator and will be pulling my dump trailer loaded later this week.

9CC9DFDB-363E-4CB1-9DCD-D2621AC9B04A.jpeg

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
I have an automatic rubicon with 4.10s, pulling double axle utility trailer with 1600lb Polarisā€”- it doesnā€™t pull great but does ok. No issues with hills or anything. Goes from 17-19 mpg to 10-11. Lots of down shifting. I imagine the Manaul transmission will eliminate that unless you just like shifting gears lol.

disclaimer: I had a 3500 dually ram and a 3500 dually duramax previous to this truck so my opinion of what towing comfortably is a little skewed šŸ˜‚

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Also, I have seen many posts in various forums about towing the same trailer with a Honda Odyssey, with great results. That vehicle is only rated 3500 / 350. What am I missing....
The Odyssey has an automatic transmission.

OP
OP

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
The Odyssey has an automatic transmission.
Understood, but the tow capacity is less. Isnā€™t the entire drivetrain a factor of the towing capacity? If itā€™s 4000, regardless of what tranny, itā€™s still higher.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Understood, but the tow capacity is less. Isnā€™t the entire drivetrain a factor of the towing capacity? If itā€™s 4000, regardless of what tranny, itā€™s still higher.
You asked why Odyssey owners were expounding great results towing the same trailer. One reason for the difference could be the automatic transmission.
But then again, the Odyssey is a completely different class of vehicle...

Kevin
Sponsored